Sign in to follow this  
Yett71

The Giant Alpha Media Thread

INCREDIBLE!!!

Anyone who says they won't buy this game is full of shit.

The development team should be extremely proud of themselves!

Mad props to the animation department as well, the transition is astonishingly seamless, maybe a bit fast in some spots but very lifelike nontheless. I like how the 'idle' animations got a small upgrade, as though the character is never still, there seems to be something always moving even if just the tiniest bit. It's surprising the difference it makes when you see a characters joints bending and moving with position change.

Also good to see weapons being held correctly rather than a LMG held like a Rifle ;)

Edited by NodUnit

Unrealistic feature is unrealistic. That'd be the reason for removing it. It's not realistic. Why? Because, you should never aim your weapon where the center of mass of your body isn't pointed. When you aim IRL, you should turn your torso+arms+head as one unit in the direction you want to point your weapon. You are more accurate this way.

Well i will agree with you if you got TIR or make use of the alt look key, that way is more realistic(even more if BI add Oculus Rift support, 1:1 head turning ratio is DA SHIT), but if you don't then floating point is what making your head untie to your torso, remember, your arms are bind to your torso, but your head can still turn around to look at things even if your torso turn.

Unrealistic feature is unrealistic. That'd be the reason for removing it. It's not realistic. Why? Because, you should never aim your weapon where the center of mass of your body isn't pointed. When you aim IRL, you should turn your torso+arms+head as one unit in the direction you want to point your weapon. You are more accurate this way.

While this is theoretically the only way you should aim, in reality your arms and head are not metal rods welded to your torso :)

Frogman suits are :icon_dj:

The number of various differing helmets & vests is a pleasant surprise. Great hand anims on all possible weapon configurations: from rifles with underbarrel GLs to RIS handgrips. Modular suppressor is sexxxeeh.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

So... "Keep your pants on" is the main ArmA 3 theme people. :D

So... "Keep your pants on" is the main ArmA 3 theme people. :D

more like: change ur wet pants now :D

You do realize that deadzone turns your torso+arms+head at the same time?

It just allows you to have the ability to move down the road while checking what's there to your sides with the weapon pointed there, especially when moving through some town, without having to zig-zag as you try to keep corners in check.

Now try doing that with no freeaim.

You do realize that deadzone turns your torso+arms+head at the same time?

It just allows you to have the ability to move down the road while checking what's there to your sides with the weapon pointed there, especially when moving through some town, without having to zig-zag as you try to keep corners in check.

Now try doing that with no freeaim.

Actually, for LDA (Linear Danger Area) security, you won't pull security by yourself anyway. Two guys will post up on the near side of the road (the side closest to you), facing down the road, while two other guys will post up on the far side of the road, also facing outward down the road. Then you and your remaining buddies will cross. You don't have to worry about pulling your own security on the road. Also, I'll just use the free look key to quickly glance to my side if I need to. But, when I am aiming, I will aim my whole upper body as one unit. The freeaim moves your weapon around while your view keeps looking straight. Unrealistic. I say that because your viewport is the eyes/face/head of the character. And, as I said, you should orient yourself towards where you are aiming your weapon. If you need to look to the side, well, then you can do that (I just do it with the free look key). But, it doesn't bother me whether it stays in. I just don't want servers forcing that on me.

Oh, and we should continue this in PM as this is offtopic.

The freeaim moves your weapon around while your view keeps looking straight.

Press ALT while looking down the sights if the abstraction of only weapon moving in your view is such a huge problem. In 3rd person it will still look right.

Now tell me how will you do cool LDA stuff when it's just 3 or 4 of you? Or even 1? Various scenarios. The argument is about an individual soldier movement too.

Could we cut subjective BS discussion and focus on the features as seen in the new Media?

Sidearms look like the could pose a threat, even if going only by the superior models, when compared to what we have in ArmA II. Judging from E3/GamesCom presentation - they do pose a threat and have decent grouping accuracy on shots. :)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Press ALT while looking down the sights if the abstraction of only weapon moving in your view is such a huge problem. In 3rd person it will still look right.

Now tell me how will you do cool LDA stuff when it's just 3 or 4 of you? Or even 1? Various scenarios. The argument is about an individual soldier movement too.

That's not "cool" LDA stuff. That's US Army SOP. If there were just 3 or 4 of us I'd say 2 guys do near side security and me and the other guy would do far side security. Then, when it's clear, the 2 near side guys cross the road, and then we far side guys would follow behind them. If it's just 2 of us, then I'd say we check near side, then cross to the far side, then check the far side of the road and charlie mike. If it's just me, then I'll look before crossing the road like any civilian would.

I think the 1st guy is takin a nap til all the caos starts 8:)

I think the 1st guy is takin a nap til all the caos starts 8:)

That urban prone position is going to surprise many, as the old ArmA II tactics make them think, that they have their target pinned down behind a Humvee or some other vehicle. :p

Being new to the ARMA community, a lot of my issues with Arma 2 seem to have been rectified in the 3rd game. I will be purchasing a supporter version as soon as they are available. Also, I wanted to thank the gentleman who created these two extremely informative videos, they made my decision to support the game much easier.

That urban prone position is going to surprise many, as the old ArmA II tactics make them think, that they have their target pinned down behind a Humvee or some other vehicle. :p

Yeah it's gonna be intersting see how it get implimented in differnt situations. The sitting one well I dunno I know the USMC trained(dunno if they still do) using it think that mainly for a stable firing position. Guess we will find out here soon enough.

Being new to the ARMA community, a lot of my issues with Arma 2 seem to have been rectified in the 3rd game. I will be purchasing a supporter version as soon as they are available. Also, I wanted to thank the gentleman who created these two extremely informative videos, they made my decision to support the game much easier.

That makes me smile, I've been a fan since the OG OFP, but I can still understand peoples gripes, even though Ive, i guess, learned to love them, but i am certainly looking forward to the improvements.

Wow I love the amount of detail that is in idling animations. Seeing the soldier slap his neck and then wipe his hands was awesome and seeing him yawn this is the type of detail that adds a lot of immersion in these kind of games.

I'll be changing my trousers now.

*exits stage left*

anyone can find the real world inspiration for the sage coveralls?

I really hope his next video is watchable in germany:confused:

It is. And I also cannot watch the first video, too lazy to use whatever proxy. We're Germans, we have to suffer now from our old bureaucracy people.

I love the stances. The high prone looks a bit unnatural. At least I wouldn't be able to do this.

I wasn't clear about the keys for the sub stances. Will you hold y/x/c (he talked about a "stance adjust key") and press w or s at the same time?

Edited by tortuosit