Sign in to follow this  
Hami

Will the wasteland mod be added as a game mode?

I'm not exactly sure how this works, but could this be a ingame gamemode?

I don't think so. But it doesn't really matter, since modders will probably remake it ;)

I don't think so. But it doesn't really matter, since modders will probably remake it ;)

It does matter, the modded servers have huge performance problems (an i5 2500K really is a minimum to play Wasteland for more than 30minutes after server restart), generally stupid stuff like 10x humvees in one village and super heavy MG's in every single car etc.

It does matter, the modded servers have huge performance problems (an i5 2500K really is a minimum to play Wasteland for more than 30minutes after server restart), generally stupid stuff like 10x humvees in one village and super heavy MG's in every single car etc.

Modded servers? Wasteland is just a mission file, not a mod. The performance will not get better by making it a game mode (which is a mission).

It also depends on the server. Imo all server SHOULD have automatic cleanup for broken vehicles etc. But many doesn't not have this.

Modded servers? Wasteland is just a mission file, not a mod. The performance will not get better by making it a game mode (which is a mission).

It would run much better if the game was optimized from the core for missions like Wasteland, so anything less than 2500K wouldn't be a slide show. There's an incredibly big difference in performance depending on the server and when it has restarted, servers have their own stupid modifications like bloating the map with useless objects, no cleanup for broken vehicles causing lag, super gear inside every vehicle etc.

I kinda hope not, too many people will buy it just for that gamemode.

But it could be alright.

I kinda hope not, too many people will buy it just for that gamemode.

But it could be alright.

And that's a problem why? More money for BIS. The best thing about Wasteland is that its a great drop-in drop-out game mode for those who don't have the patience or time to play scheduled Arma 2 matches.

Hah - I can see WasteLand potentially spinning off like DayZ did. Although probably won't go standalone due to the distinct lack of zombo-factor. Maybe a BIS optimized DLC version? Or it could be a DayZ standalone mod (bare with me) due to the unique MMO server architecture they are building that is adaptive to the survival gameplay i.e. looting etc.

I don't see why Wasteland won't crop up in Arma 3 as soon as dedicated servers are released to the community, seeing as it is just a mission file. The number and type of civillian vehicles is essentially nil in Alpha, apparently, so that may be an issue.

It may be an unoptimized pile right now but hopefully A3 will see some performance improvements in networking code. Hopefully.