Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

ArmA3 installed on a rootserver...how?

OK guys, this really makes me nuts...how is ArmA3 supposed to be working on a rootserver, since it is steam exclusive? (once the game is finally released)

ArmA2 simply needs to be installed on the rootserver. But this will no more be possible with ArmA3...because of steam.

So...do I have to register a second steam account and buy a second ArmA3 again just to run a dedicated server on a root server?

Would be nice if someone could enlighten me please

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Dang, question has already been asked and answered by a dev:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?146869-Arma-3-plans-for-2013&p=2304158&viewfull=1#post2304158

sorry for opening a new thread...

Here is a workaround:

------------------------------------

1. Install steam on rootserver. ( your primary account )

2. Update the game

3. Put steam in OFFLINE mode.

4. start game with -server option.

5. start arma 3 locally ( your primary account ) , join your server.

only 1 account needed, but a problem is that you manually need to update the server every once in a while, and running this on a linux server aint possible.

Plus, it has been said the the release version will most likely have a steam independent standalone server.

i have been using arma2 (on steam) with my server for a few months now; works like a charm.

Basicly you just run steam in offline ^^

Im fairly sure it will work with a single buy ;)

Also; This:

Plus, it has been said the the release version will most likely have a steam independent standalone server.
Edited by DjDaemonNL

you need to wait, these things (dedicated server package and windows / Linux variants) will come later after A3alpha release

Here is a workaround:

------------------------------------

1. Install steam on rootserver. ( your primary account )

2. Update the game

3. Put steam in OFFLINE mode.

4. start game with -server option.

5. start arma 3 locally ( your primary account ) , join your server.

only 1 account needed, but a problem is that you manually need to update the server every once in a while, and running this on a linux server aint possible.

Thx a lot, a lot of servers admins where waiting for that confirmation :), will be a great workaround while we wait for dedicated server binaries

you need to wait, these things (dedicated server package and windows / Linux variants) will come later after A3alpha release

Yes, I know that those things are about to be available in a time. My concern was the steam thingy as each game is bound to an account and cant run twice, what infact would happen if jerryhopper wouldnt have posted his workaround

^ Most steamworks games servers do not require steam in order to run them, have a look at steamcmd ( used by RO2 for example ).