Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

64-bit executable

Agreed 100% I built a new pc to play ArmA 1 when it came out, built a new pc to play ArmA 2 when it came out and recently built a new pc for upcoming ArmA 3 and DayZ. ArmA and the RV engine certainly aren't the most optimised engine around but by golly it's the most spectacular. When I hear of people playing ArmA 2/DayZ on a laptop I just face palm. The game should just not work on anything but the best because turning all the graphic settings down you just loose so much of the beauty of the game. I'm happy to say I run a 100+ FPS arma2/DayZ system with everything max and I wouldn't have it any other way. On that note hdd makes all the difference to this game. Then graphics. CPU then ram. In that order.

Oh, you facepalm when people play on a laptop? That's interesting... I play on a laptop when I'm not at home and I'm betting it's better than a huge majority of desktops. It's probably better than your desktop.

Please don't make stupid comments, if you don't know, don't speak.

Oh, you facepalm when people play on a laptop? That's interesting... I play on a laptop when I'm not at home and I'm betting it's better than a huge majority of desktops. It's probably better than your desktop.

Please don't make stupid comments, if you don't know, don't speak.

There's always one isn't there? I mean wankers. You sir are that one. I stand firm with my statement, you will not get the best out of ArmA on a laptop. It's just not how it's meant to be played. Now go flame someone on a wow forum with kids your own age.

There's always one isn't there? I mean wankers. You sir are that one. I stand firm with my statement, you will not get the best out of ArmA on a laptop. It's just not how it's meant to be played. Now go flame someone on a wow forum with kids your own age.

Aww, did I hurt your feelings, little one? All you have in response is to call me a wanker and call me a kid. Time to get out of your mom's basement.

See, I'm guessing that you've never seen a true gaming laptop. If you had, you would know that you are incorrect. Oh yeah, I run the game on ultra - on my laptop. I'm glad you're here to tell us all how the game should be played. Those of us that work out of town have to use a laptop part of the time. Trust me, my home setup far exceeds yours.

Agreed 100% I built a new pc to play ArmA 1 when it came out, built a new pc to play ArmA 2 when it came out and recently built a new pc for upcoming ArmA 3 and DayZ. ArmA and the RV engine certainly aren't the most optimised engine around but by golly it's the most spectacular. When I hear of people playing ArmA 2/DayZ on a laptop I just face palm. The game should just not work on anything but the best because turning all the graphic settings down you just loose so much of the beauty of the game. I'm happy to say I run a 100+ FPS arma2/DayZ system with everything max and I wouldn't have it any other way. On that note hdd makes all the difference to this game. Then graphics. CPU then ram. In that order.

i have to say you come across as a very entitled person in this post.... 100+ FPS maxed out in arma2/dayz requires a rig that cost $2k alone.... 95% of people who want to play arma don't have that kind of money for a rig, second, laptops play arma2 just fine, my brother has an asus with a quad 3rd gen i7, a 650m, and 8 gigs of ram all for a whopping $1.2k and he plays arma on high / ultra just fine (45-50fps) so facepalming because people won't get YOUR results is just messed up....

SECOND, i think we all know CPU takes the biggest hit in arma before graphics does. you will get more out of your money on a better CPU for this game than you will a GPU.

and again, im happy you runn over 100 FPS in arma2 maxed out but please don't expect everyone else to have the kind of money you must have lying around... other people may just want to play a video game known as arma and have a normal day job with a normal salary, therefore they build a decent rig that can handle the game with respectable settings and FPS... that should be enough and certainly doesn't deserve being face palmed over.

If you don't have a gaming rig, then you shouldn't be playing arma. Or anything more intense then CoD, and they shouldn't cater to people who don't really want to play the game anyways. Otherwise they would have a up to date gaming pc. Arma is the game of games, not something your moms 7 year old computer can run. And if people can't accept that and buy/ build a decent pc, then don't play it. Pretty simple, They shouldn't limit the games possibility's for people who aren't even pc gamers.

bravo+1 we need 64 bit othwise whats the point in monster arma rigs?

i completely agree, but we shouldn't alienate the 90% of people who can't afford "monster rigs"... else online play would be pretty dull...

now 64-bit shouldn't alienate anyone as long as its not a requirement, but it SHOULD however be supported as it would greatly improve the preformance of all 64-bit, high qnty RAM rigs out there.... "monster rigs" or not. even an average gaming rig has 8gb of ram, and if it has a 64-bit OS it will benefit from support even if it only has a gtx 460 GPU and a 945BE CPU...

As personally i dont believe x64 executable would bring much to the table.. but considering the actual performance which is quite abyssmal BIS should bring every possible feature which could improve frame rates - at all costs, even if it would mean only like 2-3 FPS improvement.

Edited by k3lt

At the very least, make the dedicated server capable of utilizing 64 bit and all its advantages.

Quite unbelievable that in this day and age that some people think there is an argument for not having 64x support.

No one will be running Arma 3 on 32x hardware IMO.

i have to say you come across as a very entitled person in this post.... 100+ FPS maxed out in arma2/dayz requires a rig that cost $2k alone.... 95% of people who want to play arma don't have that kind of money for a rig, second, laptops play arma2 just fine, my brother has an asus with a quad 3rd gen i7, a 650m, and 8 gigs of ram all for a whopping $1.2k and he plays arma on high / ultra just fine (45-50fps) so facepalming because people won't get YOUR results is just messed up....

SECOND, i think we all know CPU takes the biggest hit in arma before graphics does. you will get more out of your money on a better CPU for this game than you will a GPU.

and again, im happy you runn over 100 FPS in arma2 maxed out but please don't expect everyone else to have the kind of money you must have lying around... other people may just want to play a video game known as arma and have a normal day job with a normal salary, therefore they build a decent rig that can handle the game with respectable settings and FPS... that should be enough and certainly doesn't deserve being face palmed over.

You guys miss took what I was thinking in terms of "playing on a laptop" just small screens and crammed keyboards as well as the lesser specifications. Ideally triple head is the way to go. ( I don't have that) sure it is great having a high paying job but even before that I saved and worked hard for an upgraded pc. 2k IMHO is not expensive for a decent pc however my hdd's alone cost that much, but sub $1k is cheap for a pc. My first pc was a pentium 133mhz with 16mb ram and cost $5500. And to the other guy, yeah you are a wanker, for flaming someone for making an indirect comment not targeted at anyone infact just a general opinion. Last time I checked I'm still entitled to have one, without getting slammed one an Internet warrior. Okay so there are laptops that can run ArmA 2 just fine, that's great. I'm happy for you.

Also I mentioned that a gpu would give good increases. This is from solid first hand testing with multiple gpu,s and cpu's in various configurations and clock speeds. I've achieve over 90 FPS with an e8500 CPU running stock 3.16ghZ. As much as a q9550 running 2.83ghZ with just swapping out graphics cards. Over clocking e8500 to 3.8ghz made 0 FPS increase. Overclocking q9550 to 3.4ghz made 0 FPS increase. Upgrading gpu made all the difference, starting from the bottom with a 8800gt from ArmA 1 rig and moving up. Crossfire performance isn't outstanding in ArmA 2 but possible has improved in later patches and driver updates, nvidia I think suit this game better and seem to hold frame rate stronger and more stable then ati but equivalent ati product seem to get hight max FPS. But what I'm trying to say is if your CPU is half decent, I'd go with a gpu upgrade, if it's possible to get a stable over clock on CPU the do that too. Tbh a decent hdd seems to give better results then a CPU upgrade. But you have to have a decent gpu to start with.

You guys miss took what I was thinking in terms of "playing on a laptop" just small screens and crammed keyboards as well as the lesser specifications. Ideally triple head is the way to go. ( I don't have that) sure it is great having a high paying job but even before that I saved and worked hard for an upgraded pc. 2k IMHO is not expensive for a decent pc however my hdd's alone cost that much, but sub $1k is cheap for a pc. My first pc was a pentium 133mhz with 16mb ram and cost $5500. And to the other guy, yeah you are a wanker, for flaming someone for making an indirect comment not targeted at anyone infact just a general opinion. Last time I checked I'm still entitled to have one, without getting slammed one an Internet warrior. Okay so there are laptops that can run ArmA 2 just fine, that's great. I'm happy for you.
Bluntly speaking, if you're paying anywhere near $2000 you're overspending IMO; my personal build (3570K, Hyper 212 Plus, P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo, 8 GB DDR3, 660 Ti 2 GB, 240 GB SSD) in a mini ITX case came in at around $1000.

Bluntly speaking, if you're paying anywhere near $2000 you're overspending IMO; my personal build (3570K, Hyper 212 Plus, P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo, 8 GB DDR3, 660 Ti 2 GB, 240 GB SSD) in a mini ITX case came in at around $1000.

I said they are worth x amount. Didn't say I paid that for it. But it doesn't take long to add up the cost of a pc, I have large storage needs and I figured why not go all out as my last system was several years old. With only a gpu upgrade over the years.

Really wish more games had 64 bit executables.

Who cares if you alienate a very tiny percentage of the consumer force them to upgrade, if they want to play they are holding everyone else back.

Really wish more games had 64 bit executables.

Who cares if you alienate a very tiny percentage of the consumer force them to upgrade, if they want to play they are holding everyone else back.

Agreed

You don't even have a triple screen setup and you're talking shit? LOL.

And uh, my laptop has a full size keyboard. You really should educate yourself on gaming laptops, because you don't have a clue. 17" is big enough when you have to take it somewhere. OH YEAH! There's USB, VGA, DP and HDMI ports, so.... Yeah all of those 'issues' can be dealt with. Yeah, you're entitled to have an opinion, but the moment you start being a dipshit about it, then there's an issue.

I have an idea, since your computer is so amazing, why don't you post a 3D Mark score.

Gaming & Laptop in one sentence... Funny.

Anyway: +1 for 64bit support!

Even the fact that we're habing this discussion is silly and feels like reading a forum thread from last decade.

Everyone who uses 32bit CPU and <2GB RAM raise your hand, before we even continue.

It's not so much about people using 32bit HW, or 32bit OS, it's more about the fact (as the Devs stated) that making the game a 64bit application wouldn't be worth the tiny performance gain.

I don't understand why people still talk about this, even though it has been already discussed to death, and even developers tried to explain it.

btw. i'd like to know, how many of you "64bit solves everything" guys, actually have the appropriate programming experience to back up such claims.

It's not so much about people using 32bit HW, or 32bit OS, it's more about the fact (as the Devs stated) that making the game a 64bit application wouldn't be worth the tiny performance gain.

I don't understand why people still talk about this, even though it has been already discussed to death, and even developers tried to explain it.

That is an old excuse used by everyone who wants to hold off as long a possible.

That is an old excuse used by everyone who wants to hold off as long a possible.
Well, seeing that you are another expert on this topic, would you please educate us how it works, how would you implement the game as 64bit application, how would you optimize the threading, etc.?

Well, seeing that you are another expert on this topic, would you please educate us how it works, how would you implement the game as 64bit application, how would you optimize the threading, etc.?

I don't need to explain anything except I've seen it before and BIS will hold off as long as possible, just don't expect everyone to accept that fact.

I don't need to explain anything except I've seen it before and BIS will hold off as long as possible, just don't expect everyone to accept that fact.

Excellent arguing i see.

Here again, what does a 64bit exe and why it wouldn't work.

With 64bit, a application can use much more RAM than a 32bit exe can. Undisputed.

Now, why wouldn't it have any effect on the RV engine? Simple enough, the engine is designed to request required data direct from disc (we call this "data streaming") and not load into memory if not immediately needed. So, ArmA aswell as ArmA 3 are LAA enabled, so they can use more than just the regular 32bit memory address already. Now the one million dollar question: how much of this memory it could actually use it does use? One gigabyte? A bit more? And now as 64bit app, it could use even more memory but why should it? The engine is designed to stream required data direct from disc and discard data that is no longer needed.

It is actually like someone taking a 1dl drink from a 2dl glass. He doesn't want to drink more than this 1 dl so why do you try to give him a 2l glass? He still just fills it with 1dl as this is all he needs.

Even worse, the additional memory management workload with 64bit may even decrease the game performance. Like the guy above, it would be esier to handle the small 2dl glass than the big 2l glass.

So again, making a 64bit app wont magicaly increase the engines performance. It would require a major engine rework to actually benefit from it. A major reworks requires time and money, both aren't a unlimited source and it has to be considered if it is worth it. Obviously there are more important issues to address beforehand as the streaming engine is quite solid (not saying perfect, don't put that in my mouth).

How would he know? The game is closed source. We are entirely dependent on the developers to do this for us. Show us the code and maybe we could figure it out in time.