Sign in to follow this  
bardosy

Can play MP with Alpha Lite?

If the invites were equivalent to the alpha, only one in four would need to put money down.

The lite version offers enough content to make an informed decision and the price of the alpha is pretty fair since you're getting a full game.

Ungrateful? I'm trying to help BIS sell their game and support a product that I enjoy. Had the 3 alpha invites been equivalent to the paid for version of the alpha, that would have been potentially 3 more A3 sales from my end. Imagine if all supporters got at least 1 of their friends to convert to a sale. That is almost 2x the revenue they already have from alpha sales Yeah so I'm so sorry for being ungrateful and trying to improve BIS's revenue and perform free marketing services for them :j:

Long story short, IMO alpha lite without MP support will not generate better testing nor will it increase sales so more or less it is useless to both BIS and a lot of players hoping to get their friends onto the game.

Good for you. Get them in to it when it's in a more presentable state. We've still got the majority of a year before the game even launches. If anything people given access to a co-op alpha invite are more likely to play custom content for a month or so, get bored due to the limited assets, and move on. That or launch it, see the performance issues, and trash it on forums for the next few weeks and then forget about the game.

A real demo later will make a much better impression on new players than the current Alpha. Have you seen the hundreds of new users, often incapable of typing coherently, coming here to complain about the state of alpha? Or the people in this very thread talking about how poorly Alpha represents the game, even though it says a dozen times "not representative of final product"? People these days are prone to make poorly informed snap decisions, and get very invested in their ignorant opinions.

Again, if the invites are useless then don't use them. You're already getting alpha access and a big discount on the game. It costs you nothing not to use the Lite invites, it costs BIS nothing. There are lots of reasons to limit the alpha lite, there are few valid ones to expand it. Your friends can wait.

Alpha Lite != Full product demo

It's a quick look at the Alpha, and you can choose from there to be a part of this process or not. If not, then wait for full release and the combined arms demo (I assume one may be released).

Good for you. Get them in to it when it's in a more presentable state. We've still got the majority of a year before the game even launches. If anything people given access to a co-op alpha invite are more likely to play custom content for a month or so, get bored due to the limited assets, and move on. That or launch it, see the performance issues, and trash it on forums for the next few weeks and then forget about the game.

A real demo later will make a much better impression on new players than the current Alpha. Have you seen the hundreds of new users, often incapable of typing coherently, coming here to complain about the state of alpha? Or the people in this very thread talking about how poorly Alpha represents the game, even though it says a dozen times "not representative of final product"? People these days are prone to make poorly informed snap decisions, and get very invested in their ignorant opinions.

Again, if the invites are useless then don't use them. You're already getting alpha access and a big discount on the game. It costs you nothing not to use the Lite invites, it costs BIS nothing. There are lots of reasons to limit the alpha lite, there are few valid ones to expand it. Your friends can wait.

See my previous response for why the demo will not be a good impression. Also you may have forgotten how the A2 demo did for A2, so I don't have great expectations for A3 demo already. I think you have a good point with the influx of new users that aren't generating any useful feedback. However, if that feedback is coming through alpha lite invites, then the people doing the inviting are not being very discretionary with who the are sending them to. The point would have been for myself to moderate the expectations and issues my friends would have experienced, but I can see how many people may not be capable or willing to do that.

The cost here is opportunity cost. Many posters responding seem to be approaching with this idea in their mind that "we should be grateful" for what we have instead of approaching the idea of "how can we make A3 better or more successful". Since BIS decided to take the time to provide an alpha at all it would be in their best interest to make sure they are getting the best result out of it (impact for resources tradeoff). I am of the opinion, as many others in this thread, that by not expanding the capabilities of the alpha lite invites, they are limiting the potential and usefulness of the invite. BIS might disagree and the decision is in their hands and we users have no choice but to accept that. Hence, like I said before, my invites aren't going to be claimed since they won't be of any use to either myself or BIS.

There are many people handing out lite invites though, giveaways on websites, social media users having contests, potlucks wherein they choose a random person or first come first serve.

Did A2 have a demo? I only remember the morphicon and german release being a disaster because the publisher pushed it out before BI wanted and it took several months to the US release to become more stable and even then there were issues.

I agree that multiplayer is a big loss, that was even in the free version of A2 and is how I managed to intrigue many friends and acquaintences, at best I can say "here is a code, do what you want" or maybe sit beside them..but it's not the same.

I agree that multiplayer is a big loss, that was even in the free version of A2 and is how I managed to intrigue many friends and acquaintences, at best I can say "here is a code, do what you want" or maybe sit beside them..but it's not the same.
Don't be surprised if BI knowingly chose this loss due to the backlash against Arma 2: Free from the community hardcores, despite having spurned some of said some hardcores on other aspects.

When I first heard about the capability of making invitations to other players (who didnt have bought the game yet) I was thinking about: One can join a server and in the lobby there are a few (light-)player lurking around. And when they become invited, they automatically belong to my fireteam. As a sideeffect, the new players could receive orders and learn a bit about roleplay and communication.

B-but in the reality it is different. It is just a standard behaviour for a commercial. OK - the players use to talk to each other about the new game and the new players came in touch to the "old" ArmA Community.

I think the limited function for mods is just fair but BIS can receive more feedback from more players out of the multiplayer. Steam is generally a online-thing.

I hope that BIS can still use the proposal of a fireteam consisting of Alpha-Light gamers.

Not only after the release of the first DayZ-mod we all know about how hard the learning curve in ArmA can be for newbees.

So: BIS, please make a patch that all the A3-Alpha-Light-Invitations can join the multiplayer.

Stop whining and ask your probation officer for 25 bucks...... ;)

Won't happen. If u really want ro support BIS - you have to buy arma 3 alpha access (25€), but therefor in near future, you will get BETA - this summer, and FULL game - in Q3 2013 for no costs! You realize, when the game is out, you will have to pay it's full prize - 45€ instead? So you choose - wait for final version, or take a part of alpha test.

Game doesn't come out for months yet. Just wait and play with your friends when the game can make a proper first impression. It already makes a good one, but why not wait until it's great? :)

This is not about me, not about the support I give or my capabilities. At least I did made all of my three invitations, 2 of them to ArmA-veterans and one wanted to check his hardware with the A3-light version before he buys. (Probably he wants to trade the key - I don't care). Testing is in fact the purpose of a alpha, beta or even the demo.

The normal ArmA-player is conservative. They still love to buy their game in a box. Now the players are forced to use a download from Steam.

This is what the present customer fears most: A Steam-protected singleplayermode in ArmA3.

On the other hand you have the enormously large Steam-Community. Steam is THE very big opportunity right now. The first steps have a signal effect to new customers.

Do you really believe you make new friends at Steam with a singleplayer-mode?

Edited by Mirudes

Do you really believe you make new friends at Steam with a singleplayer-mode?

The Alpha Lite allows people skeptical about the game the ability to test the mechanics on their system for fucking free. Where do you get the idea that any of this is for gaining friends on Steam?

Edited by Warburg

The Alpha Lite allows people skeptical about the game the ability to test the mechanics on their system for fucking free. Where do you get the idea that any of this is for gaining friends on Steam?

....a little rude, but THIS!!!!

There are people who even outright say that they're only planning to buy in if the Alpha Lite version runs fine on their computer, hence their soliciting of invites!

the is no need for lite to have multiplayer and it defeats the point people currently buying arma 3 now the reward is to play the alpha in full and help test the game not alot of games do this they may let you buy into beta but rarely alpha.

and the way i look at it i currently only have the lite version i grabbed a copy of a friend while i wait to be able to buy arma 3. thinkof the lite as a small cup of the best booze you could imagine just enough so you can see if its to you liking or not and if so its only £20 to buy a full bottle that magicly refills itself.

Only 20 quid until the summer or whenever the beta appears, you mean...

If all the lite keys gave multiplayer acces we would give the skiddies a never ending supply of CD-keys to hack with....

Bad idea.

Its ment for you to test the 4 showcases and then buy it if its awsome, nothing more, its free lol...

You cant honestly expect a complex game like Arma to be free, with the time and effort that went into making the game.

- No matter if the Alpha runs on your system...you will need new hardware for the fullversion.

- By talking about cracked CD-Keys and such: This is in fact a weak protection and could be considered as bugs.

- The actual alpha is without BattlEye or Steam-protection. Fact is that the cheaters are actually working on the new ArmA3-cheats.

These are all things that used to be fixed in the final version.

If the Alpha is made for testing, it is surely made for online playing with Steam, otherwise it is only a (false) advertising for BIS.

BIS could get a better reputation on Steam with a cool Multiplayer-patch for the alpha light.

Edited by Mirudes

If the Alpha is made for testing, it is surely made for online playing with Steam, otherwise it is only a (false) advertising for BIS.

Arma 3 doesn't even use the Steam server browser yet, and BIS chose not to allow multiplayer in the Alpha Lite. I'd say if there's one thing I can say with certainty it's that Alpha Lite is not for testing online playing with Steam.

- No matter if the Alpha runs on your system...you will need new hardware for the fullversion.

- By talking about cracked CD-Keys and such: This is in fact a weak protection and could be considered as bugs.

- The actual alpha is without BattlEye or Steam-protection. Fact is that the cheaters are actually working on the new ArmA3-cheats.

These are all things that used to be fixed in the final version.

BIS could get a better reputation on Steam with a cool Multiplayer-patch for the alpha light.

I like how you summarise all the problem the actual Alpha phases, but do you realise this is exactly what you DONT have to deal with in the Lite?

Try it out on your system, i cant see how the hardware requirements would increase in any way, all the game needs is some optimization and it "should" run fine. Hell im running it on a laptop with an i3 just fine.

You get to try a game for free, and keep in mind Arma is "dominated" by coop, so you are testing a very important feature (AI behavior). Be happy about that or support the developers so they can make the game better.

Its like going to the grocery shop and getting a free sample of some food, and then afterwards complain you didnt get the entire package for free, it doesnt work like that in the real world my friend.

Are you trying to brainwash me?

When you are talking about cheaters in the A3-Alpha-Multiplayer, you are actually talking about players who bought the game, not about Alpha-light players.

Next you are saying, A3Alpha comes without protection.

Go and blame someone else here in that forum for the failures in the software, but not the Steam-players.

When you want to test the alpha, you need a multiplayer with a protection.

When you want to test your cheats, you need a multiplayer without protection.

It is as easy like that.

You cannot imagine the reaction of the normal steam user when they hear that A3 Alpha light is SP only.

Because that makes no sense at Steam.

If you think you can test a singler player mode at Steam, something is wrong with you.

If you want to abuse the ArmA-Community for to test a steam-powered singlerplayer-mode, you are also wrong.

there is alot of fun to be had with the arma3 alpha lite i for one like to throw a dozen or so squards of each side into a town and join in.

there is alot of things that have to be tested in editor alone and yes on alpha lite you have a limited version of it you can still find these bugs and report it.

the alpha lite keys are advartised as having no multiplayer and a lite version of the editor.

arma 3 lite when it is acutally released if they do release it might include multiplayer but no modding.

it is silly to complain about it not having multiplayer why should you get that for free when people are paying between £20 and £60 for when they pre order arma 3 as it is very much an insentive to buy now aswell as it being cheaper.

@Mirudes

I'm just curious, what are you trying to achieve with this thread? Are you saying you would like Multiplayer to be added to the Alpha Lite? A simple yes or no would be sufficient.