Sign in to follow this  
bardosy

Can play MP with Alpha Lite?

If I have the Alpha and my friends the Alpha Lite, can we play MP? I just saw Alpha Lite has no MP missions. But if I have MP missions because I have Alpha, can I start a server and friends can join with Lite?

"NO MULTIPLAYER & MODDING" from the Alpha-lite section. I would assume its not just missions but multiplayer itself as well.

You can join a lan game though with someone who owns the retail Alpha version.

Arma 3 Alpha Lite does not include a multiplayer component so i think you can't play lan game either

Hi, the Alpha Lite has no MP of any kind (no LAN either). In the Alpha Lite will not be able to open the server browser.

Strange, swore I read that on the website somewhere. My bad, if it isn't the case.

Hi, the Alpha Lite has no MP of any kind (no LAN either). In the Alpha Lite will not be able to open the server browser.

I think this is a bad decision. Should've better done it with Alpha-Lite client not being able to 'host' the game but still was able to connect (e.g. only acting as a MP client) and play missions that have no mods.

Because what's the point in giving those 3 Alpha-Lite invites to friends?

Alpha-Lite should be treated like a demo by you, BIS. If people will like it (and how will they without multiplayer which is a very important part of the game?) - they will buy the full version that will let them host, use mods and so on. Plus it will also increase the amount of MP testers.

I think this is a bad decision. Should've better done it with Alpha-Lite client not being able to 'host' the game but still was able to connect (e.g. only acting as a MP client) and play missions that have no mods.

Alpha-Lite should be treated like a demo by you, BIS. If people will like it (and how will they without multiplayer which is a very important part of the game?) - they will buy the full version that will let them host, use mods and so on. Plus it will also increase the amount of MP testers.

Maybe to stop people from abusing alpha lite invites to hack in multiplayer.

BI could enable multiplayer to these accounts for the last days of alpha through an update. Then alpha-lite accounts could demo the multiplayer too.

Maybe to stop people from abusing alpha lite invites to hack in multiplayer.

The point is that there would be MP to begin with.

You don't see people "hacking in" mod support in ArmA2 Free. Or "hacking" demo version of OA into a full ArmA2 CO game.

It's essentially the same as map DLC for, say, PayDay. People who don't own it can't host with it. But they can play those maps provided the hosting dude has DLC. The world didn't end for Overkill.

At least there is still the editor (I hope)

Not in the Alpha Light version. Only a 'scenario editor: Light' is available. (Whatever light means..)

Not in the Alpha Light version. Only a 'scenario editor: Light' is available. (Whatever light means..)

From what I understood, it means full functionality except for saving.

It's essentially the same as map DLC for, say, PayDay. People who don't own it can't host with it. But they can play those maps provided the hosting dude has DLC. The world didn't end for Overkill.
Funny thing is, that reminds me of how both BF3 and Black Ops 2 handled their DLC weapons -- "can't customize or spawn with it, but can still pick it up on the battlefield and wield it".

I think they are going at it the right away.

You don't need MP to know if you will enjoy the game.

If they enjoy Arma 3 lite it will leave them with wanting more and can easily end up in a purchase.

I think the way BI is doing it is better then what you explained. Don't get me wrong I do like your idea. I have a friend that I want to play with but he wont buy Arma 3 until it is released. So my lite key I give him wont let us play but at least he can still check it out.

Its better then no Lite keys at all.

I think they are going at it the right away.

You don't need MP to know if you will enjoy the game.

Try playing 4 random singleplayer missions in ArmA2 1.0 and tell me if you would pay money for that game?

I would probably be considered an ArmA fanboy but if such game was my entry into the series and not OFP's outstanding campaign, insanely good mods and the knowledge that MP is even better than that - I wouldn't simply care.

Its better then no Lite keys at all.

No my suggestion is better than an utterly useless alpha where you can't even save your mission in the editor - basically an alpha-lite player will be stuck with 4 mediocre showcases that aren't even real missions.

It isn't like it will be a "lost sale" since it will just disappear in June and there's only so much MP you can enjoy without mods and with the need to have a paying player to host the game every time.

Friend, I think you're forgetting that this isn't a demo. It's an alpha. It's not marketing, trying to show off their best aspects. It's about bug testing and generating some pre-order revenue.

If the demo of the full game comes out with no MP, then you can complain.

The invites, to me, are more of a courtesy by BIS to maybe help get your friends interested. Using Arma 2 as a comparison is not very helpful, maybe BIS are proud of what they did with the SP mission provided this time around? After all, every bit of footage we've seen so far has been SP content, hasn't it?

Try playing 4 random singleplayer missions in ArmA2 1.0 and tell me if you would pay money for that game?

I would probably be considered an ArmA fanboy but if such game was my entry into the series and not OFP's outstanding campaign, insanely good mods and the knowledge that MP is even better than that - I wouldn't simply care.

Mmmm, I didn't care for Arma 1 really for much at all but 5 minutes into Trial By Fire i knew this game was a keeper. Everyone's different and most should understand that if their playing not only an Alpha but the vastly cheaper Alpha_lite, that a certain amount of speculative latitude is warranted.

Mmmm, I didn't care for Arma 1 really for much at all but 5 minutes into Trial By Fire i knew this game was a keeper. Everyone's different and most should understand that if their playing not only an Alpha but the vastly cheaper Alpha_lite, that a certain amount of speculative latitude is warranted.

hmm for me it was the other way around. Arma 1 demo was pretty entertaining but trial by fire seemed really unorganized and random. But luckily I knew I wanted the game before playing the demo.

While you do have a point metalcraze, I think that there are currently more than enough avenues to find out if one will like arma 3. Ie. you can play arma 2 free to get a feel for some multilayer with friends and then play the alpha light to find out whether major issues from arma 2 have been/are being fixed. Then put two and two together, and if you think you would like arma 3 go buy the alpha (which is extremely cheap). If people don't have the patience to do all that then they probably won't have the patience to participate in the alpha anyways and should wait until the final release and demo which I agree should contain MP(assuming there is a demo).

Just my opinion.

I think BIS is going the rightway aswell. The alpha lite willbe enough for a good taste and if you like it paying $33 USD knowing you'll get the full game has to be considered a good buy.

Of course there are other avenues but claiming you NEED more than this smacks of the entitlement generation.

hmm for me it was the other way around. Arma 1 demo was pretty entertaining but trial by fire seemed really unorganized and random. But luckily I knew I wanted the game before playing the demo.

Actually you got me -Arma1 MP CTF demo was some of the best fun I've had in any PC game -but the game itself wasnt so hot. Trial by Fire hooked me once i saw an enemy lean out from a building, take a few shots and lean back in -something I'd always wanted in the series.

Actually you got me -Arma1 MP CTF demo was some of the best fun I've had in any PC game -but the game itself wasnt so hot. Trial by Fire hooked me once i saw an enemy lean out from a building, take a few shots and lean back in -something I'd always wanted in the series.
Yeah well I actually played the arma 2 demo before I ever played arma 1, demo or full. So when I played the demo for arma 2, I wasn't looking for improvements over arma 1 like you were. Plus I was a total noob and in trial by fire many times I would be sitting there wondering what the hell everyone was shooting at. Arma 1 demo on the other hand was much easier so I enjoyed it more. Of course if I were to compare them now, I would probably think trial by fire was better. The MP CTF in the arma 1 demo was pretty awesome as well, I totally agree.

Anyhow back on topic, the alpha is an alpha thus I see no real requirement to include MP for free. They make it very clear it is not a finished product so people shouldn't necessarily be using it to see whether they like the game but rather to help tweak the game to perfection.

Edited by -Coulum-

If you friend enjoys the lite version, can't he just buy the real deal?

basically an alpha-lite player will be stuck with 4 mediocre showcases that aren't even real missions.

What about custom made SP missions released by those who have the full edition? It seems that you will be able to load 3rd party SP missions with the Alpha LITE edition.

What about custom made SP missions released by those who have the full edition? It seems that you will be able to load 3rd party SP missions with the Alpha LITE edition.

No modding.

No modding.

I question if a 3rd party mission is considered modding. But yeah, maybe you are right actually :) Even though an SP mission is not an 'addon' it's still some kind of modding yeah.