Sign in to follow this  
PsychoPigeon

Who's going to make the first domination gamemode?

Whenever I joined a Domination server, it always felt like herding cats.

I personally think PR-Bf2 does it best, large maps, TvT but with the CO-OP element of cooperation and communication.

I personally think PR-Bf2 does it best, large maps, TvT but with the CO-OP element of cooperation and communication.

someone clearly new to arma 2 mp

someone clearly new to arma 2 mp

I'm not actually, plus 1 year. The problem is with most servers (including Ace servers) that they run Insurgency and Domi, and there's no TvT just Coop. PR: Bf2 has the elements playing coop but mixes it with TvT, which Arma doesn't have atm. I hope that TvT game modes will be the dominant game mode on A3

I'm very surprised at the negativity toward Domination. It is still popular. I know of three servers that have a very good population every night, one of them is always full (51 players). I think it ( and Evo and Insurgency) are some of the best public server coop games for Arma. There is nothing else coop wise really like it for the PC (surprise, surprise it is on the Arma engine after all :) ). The only thing that some times bothers me is the lack of variation in missions. I would like if servers hosted more Domination missions on other great user made islands (Duala etc).

I was very sad to hear Xeno gave up development of Domination. I'll admit I know little of the situation, but as I recall he stopped because of the constant bitching by forum loud mouths about how missions like Domination are ruining Arma's multiplayer scene and that it's existence was basically the sole reason there where no Player Vs Player servers...yeah right, pull the other one...

I can't see why he would want to block anyone making it for Arma3, very, very sad. If some thing is popular why block it? If really is so bad, then it will just die, surely? And if it doesn't and people like it, and want to keep playing...then...why not allow them or even support them (your fans?)? I don't understand the logic at all. It's a great shame.

Does anyone know where the thread, or discussion was where he mentioned this? I'd be interested to read.

Xeno and Domination have many grateful supporters, myself one of them.

Edited by -=seany=-

Another loud mouth heard from, it's interesting how they always contribute nothing to ARMA other than criticism.

I think we can all agree that coop games are the best, but, WHO will make domination gametype? I just loaded up Arrowhead and no domination servers exist anymore.

I still host modified domi version, check name: "ace arma2"; I do have takistan,zargabad and clafghan edition. :)

Edited by PawelKPL
missing word

I'm very surprised at the negativity toward Domination. It is still popular. I know of three servers that have a very good population every night, one of them is always full (51 players). I think it ( and Evo and Insurgency) are some of the best public server coop games for Arma. There is nothing else coop wise really like it for the PC (surprise, surprise it is on the Arma engine after all :) ). The only thing that some times bothers me is the lack of variation in missions. I would like if servers hosted more Domination missions on other great user made islands (Duala etc).

I was very sad to hear Xeno gave up development of Domination. I'll admit I know little of the situation, but as I recall he stopped because of the constant bitching by forum loud mouths about how missions like Domination are ruining Arma's multiplayer scene and that it's existence was basically the sole reason there where no Player Vs Player servers...yeah right, pull the other one...

I can't see why he would want to block anyone making it for Arma3, very, very sad. If some thing is popular why block it? If really is so bad, then it will just die, surely? And if it doesn't and people like it, and want to keep playing...then...why not allow them or even support them (your fans?)? I don't understand the logic at all. It's a great shame.

Does anyone know where the thread, or discussion was where he mentioned this? I'd be interested to read.

It was the now-locked Arma 3 for Steamworks thread where he refused to grant permission to port Domination. In retrospect though, maybe it was awareness of how much Domination is disliked, considering some of the comments here (i.e. Dyslecxi specifically believing that "I don't want Steamworks" is just an excuse).

I would hope that new game modes come out instead of the same old ones we have been playing for over 4 years now. Dont get me wrong I love Domination, but I would love to see something new.

For public playing sure, there are only a few sandbox missions that have all the hard edges fixed. Domination is one of those. Hats off for Xeno.

That said, i gave up back in A1 days public gaming. I prefer games that allow the players to actually fail their objectives, but then again, that is big no no for public gaming where the cooperation between players is a lot lower than closed servers.

That being said, Domination, as well as Evolution and other big sandbox type of mission represent a big milestone within arma franchise.

I would have done exactly the same. Shame or not, Xeno choosing to miss out from A3, as well as the constant bitching and whining from a number of lads who could not pull their fingers out of their asses if their lives depended on it is, at least from where i am standing, the main reason for his decision (both to drop and not allow a port). in the end, if one whines about something he gets for free (, it might mean he can do better. Here's the chance.

In the end, it is his IP rights. He can choose not to allow others to port it over. end of discussion.

I hope MSO becomes more of a dominating mission in ArmA 3, on the level of Domi/Warfare. MSO is a fantastic mission, and could replace Domi easily if it received enough publicity/use.

the reason it isn't used more on public servers is it's such a borefest. nobody enjoys spending half an hour stuffing objects into vehicles, then moving them somewhere and building a base there without actually having to fight anyone.

I don't know, maybe I and my friend just don't know how to set it up properly. but we could never make MSO fun. it's always the same: drive into town, it becomes blue, wait 15 minutes, a bunch of enemies shows up, shoot them dead, repeat. *snore*

Making a good mission for public servers is a not an easy task...But i think that,if they can come up with a good and hardcore mission with the need of recon,evac,medavac,cas and such awesome stuff that we only see in organized community videos(like ShackTack and United Operations)it would make such a great and new experience...Something that dont require other mods,only standard stuff,and could create an persistent teamwork til the game ends....Kinda like MSO does,but i think its slow paced and too gamey.Only my opinion tho.:o

This was before my time, but from watching videos on youtube it looks like it was fun. I was thinking of trying my hand at something similar in the future, except it would be more of a defense mode (i.e survive with at least one base after 30mins to win). The AI would slowly crawl across the map. Of course players tend to wipe the floor with AIs, which is why they'll be suped up cyborgs with an unfair advantage in terms of weapons/vehicles (dropships, gunships, etc). Milsim meets sci-fi :P

Insurgency is the most fun COOP mission to play in my opinion and I would like to see that release before Domination. But I don't think theres enough weapons variation in the Alpha for Insurgency to be practical.

Exactly why more people need to play Project Reality. A real challenge. None of this AI slaughter fest with the most beast of weapons.

It's too bad about the negative comments regarding Domination.

Maybe some of you would be interested in visiting our group's Domination server! We have a great map (thanks, Xeno) and we make custom operations for use every Saturday night.

I was sure hoping that there would be a Domi map for Arma 3...

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

...we are at www.24thmeu.us and run an Arma 2 OA public Domination server. On Thursdays we run an ACE Insurgency or Domination map.

You are all more than welcome to check it out.

Edited by maximumvmo
accidental duplicate

I only see people communicating and working together on domination. I join a pvp server and it's a spam lone wolf fest. No one cares about being a dedicated heli pilot whose job it is to transport to troops to the AO. Yes the AI is dumb, but it's about the teamwork. It's nice to be able to jump into a game at any time of the day and get that experience.

the reason it isn't used more on public servers is it's such a borefest. nobody enjoys spending half an hour stuffing objects into vehicles, then moving them somewhere and building a base there without actually having to fight anyone.

I don't know, maybe I and my friend just don't know how to set it up properly. but we could never make MSO fun. it's always the same: drive into town, it becomes blue, wait 15 minutes, a bunch of enemies shows up, shoot them dead, repeat. *snore*

Well you definitely do not have something set correctly, pop over to the MSO Thread or Join us on Skype.

Exactly why more people need to play Project Reality. A real challenge. None of this AI slaughter fest with the most beast of weapons.

Negative - the BF version of this is considered better by PReality fans. If you want a challenge in arma, play with ACE & Acre.

I really enjoyed insurgency more than any other "public mission", we ran an ACE INSURGENCY server for that. If players contribute and play their role its heaps of fun. Nothing better than ordering medevac to the front lines for your comrades and feeling debris spray past you from the CAS run you ordered "danger close" - especially if its all run through Acre - clearing compounds ahead of your convoy. AWW YEAH

This however requires PLAYERS to follow command structures and play as a unit/team. That seams to be the biggest failing of any server I've run/played in.

I've noticed people keep saying "Xeno said you cannot port Domination".

You cannot port his domination mission, but that doesn't stop anybody from coding their own similar gamemode. So get off your asses and get coding!

I've noticed people keep saying "Xeno said you cannot port Domination".

You cannot port his domination mission, but that doesn't stop anybody from coding their own similar gamemode. So get off your asses and get coding!

well said

---------- Post added at 06:46 ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 ----------

well said

Please keep the Domination/Warfare/Evolution infestation away from ArmA 3. It's time this community embraced proper public PvP instead of coop.