Sign in to follow this  
samb

TOH flight model- if, when, how?

Do we have any idea how realistic the model will be? Rotor Vortex Ring State, auto rotate, getting rid of the god awful rudder dynamics in Arma 2?

Any idea how far off the level of DCS quality the FMs in ToH are?

Conure, why not trying the demo? One is available and I assume it's been updated by now to the tweaks they have done to the FM's. Settling with power I do not believe is modeled but it's light years above the a2/a3 fm. It's hard to compare dcs and ToH due to one being a heavily ap assisted coaxial heli, but no, it's no dcs fidelity. It's good though:)

Do we have any idea how realistic the model will be? Rotor Vortex Ring State, auto rotate, getting rid of the god awful rudder dynamics in Arma 2?

Settling with power AKA Vortex Ring State is modeled in TOH as well as Auto Rotation.

Settling with power AKA Vortex Ring State is modeled in TOH as well as Auto Rotation.

Did they add it recently?

Conure, why not trying the demo? One is available and I assume it's been updated by now to the tweaks they have done to the FM's. Settling with power I do not believe is modeled but it's light years above the a2/a3 fm. It's hard to compare dcs and ToH due to one being a heavily ap assisted coaxial heli, but no, it's no dcs fidelity. It's good though:)

Auto Rotation Ya, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you about VRS unless you can provide some documentation. I've never noticed it in game nor seen it documented as a feature and I just tried to enter it and was not able to. Love to be proven wrong though:)

AFAIK, Take On doesn't have vortex ring state. It does have lots of behaviour modelled, though. I don't know when the demo was created but the helicopter modelling may have changed since then. I think they toned it down (ie. increased the effectiveness of the flapping hinges).

For most modern U.S. military helos, the above isn't true. While there are micro-switches that help with the trim of the pedals, you can set the trim with one (1) force trim switch on the cyclic. Generally, this will work above a certain low airspeed (for the -60, it's ~50-60 knots, depending on model).
And it really depends on the helicopter. For example:

- Hughes 369 family (which H-9 is based on in TKOH/Arma3) - only have "beep trim" - two feedback servos actuated by the china hat switch on the cyclic, adjusting trim on bank, and pitch movements;

- Bell Kiowa - only force trim on cyclic - resetting feedback actuators to "zero" when depressed - effectively resetting cyclic forces upon depressing and releasing the switch;

- Blackhawk - "beep trim" for cyclic, and force trim for both cyclic and rudder;

- RAH-66 Comanche - no trim to speak off. Fly-By-Wire controls, in normal flight mode it was effectively flying on autopilot executing commands given by pilot using 4 axis ( FOUR AXIS !) side mounted stick handle.

PS. Some helicopters also have option of collective trim - either wired with force trim switch, or/and beep trim function. Those are available for Blackhawk (SeaHawk), Bell 429, etc.

Edited by Sundowner

While i usually say that no level of authenticity is enough for Arma, i admit that having DCS flight model may be the case of too much of it :)

Edited by Blaf

There is no VR in TOH yet. It was listed as one of the features to come with future upgrades, but so far they didn't keep their promise.

There is no VR in TOH yet. It was listed as one of the features to come with future upgrades, but so far they didn't keep their promise.

Hello there

I don't see it as a promise that's not been kept, that sounds as if they have broken some agreement.

If it's a touted feature in future upgrades then it most likely will happen given time. If not There'll be an explanation here as to why.

Even though I rarely fly in game, I too would like to see a more sim like model attributed to the planes and helos.

Rgds

LoK

toh FM have been ported to a3 by players. BIS it's time to stop bullshiting thats it "require much work" and add it already. with expert and arcade flight models.

thanks.

When? How? Where? O.o

toh FM have been ported to a3 by players. BIS it's time to stop bullshiting thats it "require much work" and add it already. with expert and arcade flight models.

thanks.

Flyable by the AI?

BIS has contracted the dude who modded FM of TOH to be more realistic no?

Chillax and wait

Flyable by the AI?

I don't think the AI in Take On used the rotorlib flight model.

Remember from the Falcon 4 days that it is important that the AI is subject to same flight model, as heavy wind, turbulence etc. needs to also affect the opfor.

I, personally, don't care. I'd rather have a decent frame rate than AI that are affected by wind, just so long as they aren't allowed to over-speed or other cheating.

yeah those were examples, it's the cheating that should be avoided

Hello there

Even though I am not a prop head I am adoring the TKOH flight model (only just purchased) and am really hoping the default flight model is something akin to TKOH.

A2/A3's helis (and indeed planes) now feel so arcade like and consolian to me they are no longer a joy to fly. If anything I would like more controls/switches etc. I feel a profound sense of accomplishment and "skillz" when making a successful flight, far more than when using the default model.

Also, TKOH, on easy, to me feels just as simple as A2 on the whole I prefer it.

Again, I'm not a heli head and usually play infantry, so dont hate a perceived view of what might be unless one has played TKoH. Gamers gate are doing it and Hinds for under 4 quid at the mo. Worth snapping up.

Rgds

LoK

thanks.

No, it's time to start coming to terms with the fact that the game being in Alpha means no guarantees about anything be added until the devs feel like it, and stop the BS "I want it nau, you're lying cause it can totally work right now. You know more than me about how the game works and is being made, but I chose to disregard that".

No, it's time to start coming to terms with the fact that the game being in Alpha means no guarantees about anything be added until the devs feel like it
Ignore him.

I would add that DnA gave no guarantee on when anything would be added before beta (though not denying that any would be added) and furthermore even said that it's not even guaranteed that stock BI helicopters in Arma 3 will use the TOH FM; as it is the only dev comment I've seen on the FM's ETA is essentially "before final release" -- so it could be anywhere between now and Q3. :p