Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Arma3 Alpha Testing Checklist

At 22:00 GMT on 04/03/2013 I will release a PDF File that comprises of all of the listed Tests that we should carry out, this way we can cross compare and we have a solid common base to build off, if you want anyway guys?

Good idea, maybe even better if wait a bit until BIS inform what specific areas they would prefer users to test and give feedback on in current Alpha version. I mean, it's still very early days and IMHO there is little meaning to test things that BIS know is broken and will get replaced/changed/fixed further down the road.

That doesn't mean we can't explore things and discuss them...

/KC

we also need good benchmarking missions, one with a strong GPU limitation and another that is especially tough on the CPU. Just in case they are not included (I doubt it). That will on the one hand serve as a measuring tool to see how the engine tweaks improve the game over the next few years, on the other hand we need to know what stuff to buy in the future.

we also need good benchmarking missions, one with a strong GPU limitation and another that is especially tough on the CPU. Just in case they are not included (I doubt it). That will on the one hand serve as a measuring tool to see how the engine tweaks improve the game over the next few years, on the other hand we need to know what stuff to buy in the future.

Thats a good idea

Ragdoll can be a problem in firefights , because if they wont be synced, someone might take cover from body that isn't there on someone elses screen

Ragdoll can be a problem in firefights , because if they wont be synced, someone might take cover from body that isn't there on someone elses screen

Something is ALWAYS synced - probably the torso. Client decides where the appendages & the head land.

Something is ALWAYS synced - probably the torso. Client decides where the appendages & the head land.

This is the ideal case, but I don't believe it has been confirmed. We can only hope. :)

Keys getting "stuck" when activating Steam overlay?

This is a feature! (unless they add an autorun key at least)

I'd like to test to see if the issue from Arma 2 where after loading a save it would occasionally stop your radio from functioning in map (and if you are using something like STHUD it disappears), anyone know how to test something like this stock?

Everyone should replicate the following test immediately,

Oh c'mon man, think of the locals! They'll be real pissed if you kill one of their chickens. Actually, that should be a thing in the campaign. "Campaign note No. 42: Never kill any animals or civilians. Especially goats, which should promptly explode as G-BEDs. (Goat-borne explosive devices)"

But on a more serious note, check if AI do everything players do like loot weapons when out of ammo (1, Rearm- at- that- RIFLEMAN!), hide from targets you can't kill (though I've seen players just sit there or try to distract it, and AI are cannon fodder anyway in ArmA), attempt to recover from a spin in helicopter (put them in a similar scenario to Dslyecxi's Tail rotor loss vid), etc etc.

Try to test how long you can stay underwater, if you can catch fire from burning vehicles and campfires, and if so, if water puts it out. Also check if you need to be a diver or half naked to swim, and if you need to drop your gear to avoid drowning (a big problem in D-Day, trying to jump off sides to be drowned by equipment).

Check MFD displays, copilot seat on helicopters, and weapons systems. Check if bullet shells from AH-9 can hurt you if landing on your head :p.

For small arms, make sure all attachments are compatible with each gun (that it's supposed to be compatible with), check for SDAR working on both land and ~-20m alt, look at effects of wearing harnesses for how it affects fatigue and damage, and make sure SDAR is the ONLY gun that works underwater (unless there's an unknown super secret Iranian counterpart BIS never told us about).

If 3rd faction is civs in alpha, see what they can do. If Greek resistance, just go with all the afforementioned tests.

Im going to do it how I usually test alpha/beta games, just play and if I run into anything out of the ordinary I take a screenshot or whatever take out a notepad and write what happened unless theres an ingame bug reporter in which case I will report it right then and there.

As promised earlier ive created a basic outline for testing. You don't need to adhere to them or even use them that is up to you but ive just created a basic PDF for people to print and work on or ill provide a word document and they can edit that directly.

PDF Test Plan

.DOCX Template for PC Editing

Please feel free to contribute to the main document, we can then compile and correlate them all and send that over to BI Studio :)

My heart sank a bit when I read in this thread that the 3D Editor is not "yet" included in Alpha.

Is there a link to this, I've used search function so forgive me if it's blatantly obvious where this is officially confirmed.

Thank you.

-CLU

My heart sank a bit when I read in this thread that the 3D Editor is not "yet" included in Alpha.

Is there a link to this, I've used search function so forgive me if it's blatantly obvious where this is officially confirmed.

Thank you.

-CLU

I'm pretty sure the 3D Editor isn't even confirmed for full release. I remember way back when they said it'd be in, but they retracted that comment at a later date.

So don't get your hopes up.

I'm pretty sure the 3D Editor isn't even confirmed for full release. I remember way back when they said it'd be in, but they retracted that comment at a later date.

So don't get your hopes up.

That is the most disappointing thing I've heard about ARMA 3, I've been using the 2d editor since OFP and I don't think I can stomach using it much longer. Especially after Crytek released the CE3 SDK.

Again though, does anyone have a link?

The features page still shows shot's of the 3D Editor : http://www.arma3.com/features

Edited by RECLUSIVE7
link

Thanks for the template OChristie, I will be using it.

I won't mind so much about no 3D editor if they've actually sorted out the size of the icons for editor placed objects so they are to scale with the map etc. and they end up actually being where they are placed when you preview it. Ideally you'd be able to snap things like fences, paths etc. together too so you don't have to spend hours lining things up by previewing and adjusting non stop. If it has neither that or eventually a 3D editor to solve that problem then yeah it will be very disappointing. 3D editor would be better though as then you can easily place things at the correct height and everything too.

Edited by clydefrog

Gamestar: What are your future plans for the editor, there will be a 3D editor?

Joris: No, there will be no 3D editor. Even our designers would have liked him, but we just do not have the time to implement it properly. The new editor-surface but it should make it easier to make more complex work.

This is google translated from the german interview

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/arma-3/artikel/arma_3_interview_mit_projektleiter_joris_jan_van_t_land,46950,3009968.html

Saved. How do I edit in the comments/observations in this .pdf tho?

The PDF is more for a print off but if you have Adobe Acrobat then you can sign it and insert a comment whereever you wish.

Alternatively just download the Word Doc :)

That is the most disappointing thing I've heard about ARMA 3, I've been using the 2d editor since OFP and I don't think I can stomach using it much longer. Especially after Crytek released the CE3 SDK.

The 2D Editor is all you need. Most of the real work is done via scripts anyways (see: any popular/well designed mission).

The 2D Editor is all you need. Most of the real work is done via scripts anyways (see: any popular/well designed mission).

Yeah but those missions would be alot better if you could have the freedom that other editors have, I dont think anyone is asking for a copy of Max or Maya, but we're not all so simple we can't use more advanced tools/kits. Novices are making their own little creations in CE3.SDK(which was used for arguably the most advanced game available now). Not trying to start a debate, I'm just voicing my opinion that 3D editors = much better results. And BIS can't possibly be unaware at how frustrating their 2D Editor "can" be, idk why they ever announced there was going to be a 3D editor(which was met with universal applause from the modding/editing community), if there was ever even a slight doubt that they'd can it.

That was the 1 feature I was the most excited about, don't get me wrong- I am very much looking forward to ARMA3 as a whole, but man I was looking forward to the 3D editor, it was such a relief thinking I'd be using it instead of the 2D editor.

Edited by RECLUSIVE7

No 3D Editor? What a shame..

If only for placing units and objects...

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

No 3D Editor? What a shame..

If only for placing units and objects...

Will go through the list too, nice idea.

I'm looking forward to seeing how concealment works at long distance, hopefully we'll see some longer drawing of grass/clutter or a better micro terrain.

Or just anything better than what now resembles your head poking out of a green carpet.