Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Arma3 Alpha Testing Checklist

Hopefully you won´t forget to make it clear that this is an Alpha build and that those Bugs will be resolved until the final release...

I wouldn't dream of forgetting that, will probably have it pop up about 10 times during the video because people seem to have the tendency to overlook things like that.

Though to the OP, you might want to throw onto the list plane/tree collisions, because I once landed a C130 in the treetops of a Chernarus forest and survived the ordeal (aside from when the plane finally leaped from the tree and smashed headfirst into me...

Also if anyone wants to get together and organize MP testing, toss me a friend invite and a message on Steam

I wouldn't dream of forgetting that, will probably have it pop up about 10 times during the video because people seem to have the tendency to overlook things like that.

A simple youtube annotation will do the trick.

This thread is only here so we can pool our ideas on which game elements to test, hopefully resulting in a more or less exhaustive checklist. Posting feedback into this thread most likely won't be helpful though - any bugs, performance issues etc. found while checking the list should be submitted through whichever feedback channels BIS may provide.

Okay great, thanks for clearing that up. I agree that is the way to go.

Im not going to put bugged gameplay from the alpha on youtube, all bugged gameplay is going straight to the devs ;)

One thing that's been ignored in the UI is the mouse sensitivity. The sliders without numbers are useless especially when Y sensitivity is 0.5x of the X sensitivity so there's no way to adjust them 1:1, if you want to properly set your mouse you have to do it manually from the config files, so having numerical settings would make it FAR more convenient.

Edited by Leopardi

Im not going to put bugged gameplay from the alpha on youtube, all bugged gameplay is going straight to the devs ;)

Fair enough, though I like to share the little quirks and random treehouses made from flying tanks, SUVs or the likes and such with people, and then later go over how it was improved through the beta/full release. (great way to show development of the game) Also a good way to keep the process needed to re-create the bug/glitch (just watch over your footage and see what you did)

Edited by KorroBravin

Don't know if it has been suggested before, but I will be testing 3D Stereo, in this case Nvidia kit.

If more people do it we might get better 3D support this time around (ie. shadow bugs + others), I am not expecting this to be in BI's priority list though.

Knowing there is more to it it could be considered paving the way for Oculus Rift.

I view the list in the OP as a personal diary/observations. troll.png You don't have to come back here and copy-paste everything that you've documented.

Rather, keep the data and provide feedback in various other threads & on the Tracker as the need arises.

To me its a todo list, once I have finished setting up my controls and graphics.

I´ll probably do my Hesco-enclosed arena AI testing again to check how good they work.

I will get the game as soon as the alpha is released, but I won´t have my PC ready until a week after that, but yes.

Original video of what I am talking about here, btw:

this test was with very old AI, would be interesting to see it with 1.62.102591 build released some hours ago

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?146963-ARMA-2-OA-beta-build-102591-(1-62-MP-compatible-build-post-1-62-release)

Great list - I emailed it to my gaming buddies and plan on using it as a guide for testing. Sometimes you just get caught up in 'playing' rather than stress testing and being productive for a better release ;)

Thanx for the time and for sharing.

I´ll probably do my Hesco-enclosed arena AI testing again to check how good they work.

I will get the game as soon as the alpha is released, but I won´t have my PC ready until a week after that, but yes.

Hi InstaGoat, would you or have you ever released this? It might serve as a valuable AI benchmark tool even just for Arma 2 now as we could compare Vanilla VS Beta Vs AI mods etc...

Nice list, a few more regarding AI...

- AI detection range (eyes and ears) at various times of day.

- AI ability to spot you in dense vegetation.

- AI reactions to suppressive fire.

/KC

Nice list, a few more regarding AI...

- AI detection range (eyes and ears) at various times of day.

- AI ability to spot you in dense vegetation.

- AI reactions to suppressive fire.

/KC

Added, thx. :)

Is this available to download somewhere?

my most important test:

- cqb playability

- ai cqb

- grenades gameplay (player lock, precision, physics)

- modding like hell (get many infos as possible)

- grass/ bush ai visibility Test

Edited by SaltatorMortis

One of my things that I hope have been/can be improved and which I will test:

Contact callouts using bearings or compass readings, instead of clock callouts

This is one thing that is really a pain in A2, because I can't use my AI teammates better senses (they see things through shrubbery etc.) since I have no clue where to look for the things they spot

Seeing how AI reacts when you're in cover and pinned down in terms of:

Will they advance/flank? Will they form a different formation, base line etc?

Or will they just sit there shooting you until you decide to pop up. This would also apply to you being holed up in buildings.

At 22:00 GMT on 04/03/2013 I will release a PDF File that comprises of all of the listed Tests that we should carry out, this way we can cross compare and we have a solid common base to build off, if you want anyway guys?

At 22:00 GMT on 04/03/2013 I will release a PDF File that comprises of all of the listed Tests that we should carry out, this way we can cross compare and we have a solid common base to build off, if you want anyway guys?

Sure. Print it out and have it in front of you whenever you launch A3A, peeps. :)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Sounds like a great idea to get a good range of results to form an average on.

Nice idea

Will definitely be testing out all the ai stuff listed abouve. I will aslo be sure to test how the ai react to squad members being killed or destroyed and how much info they 'magically" gain about the killer. I really hope arma 3 marks the end of the days where you disable a tank, hidden amongst the bushes, and the crew get out, already knowing your precise position, and slaughter you instantly.

One can only imagine BI's total thrill to know we'll be armed with PDF fact checker to register the every nuance of their AI. I'm talking unbridled, balls to the walls sheer excitment. Nirvahna even. :bb:

Im in!!! :nerner:

Yes it certainly would. Then do the same thing with A3 AI.

Yeah, I'd also be interested in seeing this. If you have a chance InstaGoat, you should run it again.