Sign in to follow this  
cannonouscrash

Arma 3 Dedicated server

Does anyone know (or can a dev pipe up) how servers can be run if the game is steam exclusive.

I, along with every other A2:CO clan (squad!) that runs a dedicated server will of course want to continue that tradition with A3.

Will there be an A3 dedicated server in the alpha next week?

Not as part of the alpha, but you can still run a dedicated server by using the -server switch :)

I still would love to know more about plans for a Linux DS. I know they won't have it on alpha release, but I hope it's still planned for later.

Not as part of the alpha, but you can still run a dedicated server by using the -server switch :)

Christine can you expand on that please.

Right now I have three different instances of Arma II on my dedicated..

If I wanted to change one or more to run the alpha version, would I be able to run the armaIIIserver.exe or as you said above, how would I use the -server, just the same as -config etc?

And wouldn't use the same resources or more than a standard dedicated server?

So looks to me that we cannot run multiple instances of A3 dedicated on one machine? I need to actually install the game on the server correct (registry and all)?

So looks to me that we cannot run multiple instances of A3 dedicated on one machine? I need to actually install the game on the server correct (registry and all)?

Steam gives me an error if I try to open OA twice. (Of course, the OA EXE can be run without Steam so it's still possible there.) I'm not sure if BI can adjust this behavior.

That's the problem bybthenlooks of things.

Right now we can run unlimited instances of CO without the need to sign into steam etc..

With A3 it is always to be connected, so if I install steam to my dedicated and install A3 then run the -server switch I will be locked out of MP unless I buy another copy!

Hopefully BIS can sort something out quickly, maybe server keys only or a 2 month activation key for confirmed server hosts..

I have no idea where people came to conclusion there will be no dedicated servers or problematic dedicated server ... please wait and see ...

I have no idea where people came to conclusion there will be no dedicated servers or problematic dedicated server ... please wait and see ...

I was referring to the alpha verision... I'm sure there will be no issues with the full release.

We ask because:

Game is only available on Steam.

In the past there were no 'server only' files for Arma thru Steam

A3 Alpha must be installed in order to run (Steam)

Cannot install more than one instance per machine with Steam.

Anyway I'm sure it's been worked out but as a server admin I'd love to know :p

Like Savage says, Is there a work around for it as previously we had needed a game code in order to play.

Do we now have to install steam on our dedis to run the servers?

server only files were available thru steam (STEAM > Tools > ARMA 2/OA dedicated server)

yes, it was just binary because at that time, there was no dedicated data package ...

Assumptions make an ass out of you and me. :p (Referring to people thinking dedis will be buggy, just to clarify)

But take your time guys, we (or at least most of us) are just happy to be able to play the game soon :)

Edited by Horner

yes, it was just binary because at that time, there was no dedicated data package ...

I like the sound of this. :)

Yes yes but we just want a clear answer if A3 will have the same dedicated server as it was in A1 and A2? Nothing more nothing less. And do not be surprised etc. .. I love this game as a big fan of old but without a dedicated server, the game will lose everything.

There will be a dedicated server....

My previous question on this thread was regarding alpha/beta...

Just curious to find out how we can run a server during alpha...

^^ i want to know aswell,

will there be a tutorial on how to do this for people who arent that skilled in coding?

or could we host a client server in the mean time?

it was just binary because at that time, there was no dedicated data package ...
i like the sound of this. :)

omg yes!!

Well lets hope since its steamworks that u can use hlservers or steamcmd... Or simply just dl the files of the internet.

dedicated server is needed ASAP. otherwise MP will be unplayable pretty much. see Iron Front release

;2305651']dedicated server is needed ASAP. otherwise MP will be unplayable pretty much. see Iron Front release

I think the hint is that Steam will carry the dedi files for A3... let's just hope it's true for the alpha as well

Will the A3 server support Headless Clients?

I just want to cram more AI in my missions...

I would like to now more about the planned Linux binaries, but as with every thing it will all come in time.

I would like to ask for some clarifications.

With the purchase of the full game can we install a "dedicated server version or binary" on a seperate computer not associated with the steam account?

Can I place more than one dedi-server instance on the same machine?

Do I have to purchase more than one key per dedicated instance?

Is an active steam account needed to run a dedicated server instance or can they be run without steam?

If the steam requirement is 'true' to run a server instance do I need a second steam account to run a dedicated server on a computer other than the client?

I ask because currently I run A2OA as a dedicated server on a seperate computer through the LAN to test MP missions before moving the mission to the true dedicated server host.