Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Arma 3 plans for 2013

Then they simply sell the DLC as Expansion and are set. Since it's Steam only even an Expansion is "DownLoadable Content" now.

And DLC can be everything, from one rifle to another Operation Arrowhead.

"...standalone expansions or sequels."

This topic is fruitless.

I expressing my concerns about the lack of Dedicated standalone server packages / support on first release....? I see this subject was still under discussion two days ago but if its not possible to host a server with a proper 'heavy' mission for at least 20 players that requires a proper machine A3 will slide into the abyss for any MP player and MP-Community? If there is no solution for hosting without the use of a client system how will MP ever be a fact?

I expressing my concerns about the lack of Dedicated standalone server packages / support on first release....? I see this subject was still under discussion two days ago but if its not possible to host a server with a proper 'heavy' mission for at least 20 players that requires a proper machine A3 will slide into the abyss for any MP player and MP-Community? If there is no solution for hosting without the use of a client system how will MP ever be a fact?

Also worried about this..Our unit has under 100 guys going to A3...Are we all expected to host locals and play with 1 or 2 of our friends each? thats insane, I dont mind buying a copy of the game for one of our servers as long as i can host a dedicated though it...

I'd like to see the licence agreement which states that BIS ought to make any DLCs (at least one) with sane terms of making:) And then give any DLC for free to those who buy 'Supporter edition'. Otherwise I think it's too naive to pay for something that may be done no one knows when. Or may be not done at all.

A supporter package is meant to support the devs, not more. I personally don't care about the content (badge, credits, dlc or whatever), and IF i buy this package, that will be only to support BIS, even if the actual route isn't really my cup of tea (steam, long time devs moving to dayz team...).

I might be missing something here, but you can run the client exe with -server, in all previous versions of the game, to get a dedicated server. I don't see what would be the problem with an Alpha release lacking a separate dedicated server exe.

I might be missing something here, but you can run the client exe with -server, in all previous versions of the game, to get a dedicated server. I don't see what would be the problem with an Alpha release lacking a separate dedicated server exe.

They already confirmed you have to do -server in the alpha.

And now? Pay here, pay there pay everywhere. DLCs every couple of months to milk their fans more and more. :(

Huh? You pay €24.99 once, or €44.99 later. Period. In how far is that milking? For 24 Euros you get the whole game. If that is milking, then I'd like to be milked by other companies that way.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

BIS should pay tribute to their awesome mod makers instead of showing a clusterfuck of preorder names...

Right, and how is that going to work? You'll p/o 50% of those that are not named, and someone had to actually assemble the list.

Seriously, what's it with this credits thing? Why do people get so wound up about it?

BIS should pay tribute to their awesome mod makers instead

We are thinking of several ways to promote awesome community content. One example is the box you see on the www.arma3.com main page - "Community Spotlight".

We are thinking of several ways to promote awesome community content. One example is the box you see on the www.arma3.com main page - "Community Spotlight".

As long as it's based on actual released content rather than "Look how pretty our renders are" otherwise you're going to have people posting pretties every week for the spotlight.

Has anybody from BIS confirmed whether or not this means the server will require a seperate key? Also, can't have steam account logged in from two different computers at same time.

Has anybody from BIS confirmed whether or not this means the server will require a seperate key? Also, can't have steam account logged in from two different computers at same time.

I cant see we would need two copys of the game to run a dedi server and play using same key no other game does that.

I cant see we would need two copys of the game to run a dedi server and play using same key no other game does that.

When the actual dedi servers (Windows + Linux) are released, they will not require a separate key.

The issue at hand, however, is that the dedis won't be available on time for the alpha launch, so for the time being people will either have to host MP games themselves or run the client exe with the "-server" parameter. What we don't know is whether the latter option will be possible without requiring Steam and/or a key for the server. (Because it's still using the client executable.)

Edited by MadDogX

Thanks fpr clearing it up

I dont mind hosting a normal game till the dedicated EXE are done.

I would off course prefer to run a dedi server of a diff PC and play on my game rig like I do in arma using same CD key but for now hosting a standerd MP game and playing from same machine is good.

Thanks and so cant wait for tuesday its going so slow since you mentioned it :P

Roger that MadDogX, I guess the only way to find out is sit and wait..I really hope there wont be "official servers" those things will be packed.

I have a legitimate question. What exactly do you mean by 'modding'?

How much access does 'modding' give us? Access to new model configs, bones, and such for the updated engine?

If it is GOOD and REASONABLE access to modding capabilities it may have a chance of life in my book (yes, use that against me for whatever you wish). I guess that is my main question. Hopefully one of the BI dudes can answer my question and this post isn't lost in the thread.

Has this been answered yet? I got lost in the thread. :(

Has this been answered yet? I got lost in the thread. :(

Yeah :) It's going to be the exact same capabilities as In A2/OA but the new tools won't be there yet.

In that case, it would be nice to also put missions on the spotlight, as they are just as vital as content makers.

In that case, it would be nice to also put missions on the spotlight, as they are just as vital as content makers.

TBH, I think Steam's Workshop will have a lot more traffic for that, something like this - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850

Don't know if Steam has the respective devs pre-/moderating their games on the Workshop, but that layout is awesome.

Skyrim is a Steamworks game, BTW.

I think that the current bundles aren't very efficient from a business point of view. from what i can tell so far, most of the customers are either die-hard fans who will buy the supporter edition, or regular ARMA players who will buy the basic ALPHA edition. the Deluxe version is quite useless currently. paying another 15 euros just for a PDF map and guide just doesn't worth it. so basically you have alot of people who love arma and willing to pay 40 euros for the deluxe, but need more value in the bundle. so what i'm suggesting is to include future DLC's in the deluxe edition and for the supporter bundle add future standalone expansions.

that way, you will have more people "upgrading" from ALPHA to deluxe. of course this will also make some supporters "downgrade" to deluxe. but because they mostly pay to support BIS, not many will do so.

btw, don't even think about raising the price for ALPHA. cause then ppl will start marching towards your offices with torches and pitchforks :)

Edited by SilentDawn

That. They sell something for an insane amount of money almost everybody has at least once. It's pointless, except for the reason to generate even more income. And on top of that, who plays the old crap when he has A3? Nobody.

Paying to support BI, bullshit. Many of us do that since years, they made enough cash from selling CO during the DayZ hype. At the very least they could offer an option not to use Steam for SP. Then I would consider the "Supporter Edition", even though then I have CO 3 times.

At the very least they could offer an option not to use Steam for SP. Then I would consider the "Supporter Edition", even though then I have CO 3 times.

Honestly why do you hate steam so much....its not that bad.

That. They sell something for an insane amount of money almost everybody has at least once. It's pointless, except for the reason to generate even more income. And on top of that, who plays the old crap when he has A3? Nobody.

Easy, don't buy it. Problem solved.

Paying to support BI, bullshit. Many of us do that since years, they made enough cash from selling CO during the DayZ hype. At the very least they could offer an option not to use Steam for SP. Then I would consider the "Supporter Edition", even though then I have CO 3 times.

How much did you pay BIS in the last ten years. Go and add it all up. And please, not Steam again.

As is mentioned on the website, this only applies to the first 500. You will be given access to a separate website where you can leave your name for the end credits.

So.... since this is a benefit of the supporters edition, if you are not within the first 500 bracket will there be a discounted rate since you are not benefiting from the full package.

;2307339']So.... since this is a benefit of the supporters edition' date=' if you are not within the first 500 bracket will there be a discounted rate since you are not benefiting from the full package.[/quote']

No its a benifit of being one of the first 500 to purchase a supporters edition. How is that not clear?

Anyways isn't it a bit off topic, I thought this thread was supposed to be about speculation of the direction A3 will take throughout the year.

I think it it will be interesting to see how decisions will be influenced by the open Alpha and Beta process. Whether it results in a harder core mil sim or more casual approach, I hope atleast it retains its openess as a platform.

Just go look at the ArmA1 and OFP forums to know that there are people who still play the old "crap".