Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

Small Token DLC : Chernarus 2 - Open [ ? + Wishlist ]

Would you like to see an open building Chernarus map release for Arma2?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see an open building Chernarus map release for Arma2?

• Yes, indeed it would be a great release for Arma2
    • No, not really I dont think it would bring much to the community.

I am pretty sure this is buried in some other threads elsewhere but I though I would add as a standalone topic, or if a repeat please kill this and sorry in advance :)

Seeing as we are coming ever closer and closer to the end cycle (so to speak in terms of focus) with Arma2 + the fact the map is being set up in a new form for DayZ, I wondered if this was feasible as a request to BI/devs/Community.

Could there ever be one final small pack DLC (if its justified to call it that) Chernarus revamped with same housing models but all fully open like Arrowhead building? Basicly gutting the house models and giving them pathways with some added textures and put out for the community as a final thanks with Arma2 support?

Just seems logical in many ways as we can still put life into that map (not that its lost its charm one bit even to this day) with a whole new mission approach knowing buildings can be searched and used for rescue type missions and so on.

The answer may be a form no, but would BI release an open source chernarus or house models or even get a 3rd party to do such work? Im not holding my breath of course, but just wanted to throw it out into the forums.

Edited by mrcash2009
typo-mania syndrome .. ism.

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago, I'm just glad someone else thought the same as me!! I'd even say I'd be willing to even pay a bit for the map on it's own, maybe even up to the value of £5! (which is huge for just 1 map if you consider what came with the other DLCs)

I thought about that too some days ago, would definitely pay 10 or even 15 bucks for that.

Chernarus is a great map, with the enterable buildings from dayz it would AWESOME, i would most definitely pay for that :cool:

Well, I added a poll to the thread, so please post. Would love to muster up a bunch of so called signatures to this idea if people wanted it bad enough, I know I would.

Please rope in anyone else who might want to post, not sure how much this section gets viewed.

I thought about that too some days ago, would definitely pay 10 or even 15 bucks for that.

I unsure on how the amount would be, but I think long termers with Arma2 suddenly having chernarus with enter-able buildings across the map would simply drag even more interest into it and spew out so many more scenarios and mission types. I only got the idea as I saw whats happening with DayZ standalone, thinking that maybe if that works it can work for original map. Also that I was messing around with a scenario of capturing a hostage in a farm house, then realised you have hardly any to use for that scenario apart from farm storage areas ... so then i posted :)

I feel it would do it justice as its such a good map, its almost timeless in regards to quality, so to sprinkle that final magic before we go A3 would be very welcomed.

EDIT: I really should have added the poll question in regards of paying for it, so if you would like it how much would you pay?

Edited by mrcash2009

I would buy this map and walk into every building on Chernarus, just because I could...

I would buy this map and walk into every building on Chernarus, just because I could...

haha, yes exactly.

We could then finally use house search scripts and guard scripts for rooms, and room clear scenarios, all in Chernarus! Would be a lovely.

I would pay a serious amount for this.
I would not pay a serious amount for that, only up to 10€.

ArmA II is an old game and oin about 1 year from now it wil be hard to find any populated servers for it. Let alone one server that features all the DLCs. Eve now nearly no servers features ACR. It's a bit to late for big pay ware DLCs for ArmA II.

Or would you buy a new Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion DLC right now?

Edited by Beagle

Doubt that all the work on the Dayz version of Chernarus is done and tested yet so it works smooth and without a flaw. By now many have explored Chernarus and adding just swamp, Utes and enterable buildings isn't a huge leap + big gain to throw money at it. "Nice to have" - like a winter and summer version of Chernarus/Utes. Maybe someday in the future it will be possible to play on islands which do have a dynamic seasonal environment and nature. Guess one can still dream.... ;)

ArmA II is an old game and oin about 1 year from now it wil be hard to find any populated servers for it. Let alone one server that features all the DLCs. Eve now nearly no servers features ACR. It's a bit to late for big pay ware DLCs for ArmA II.

If it's worth it, yes why not. Just because Arma3 is gonna be released in Q3 means not Arma 2 is so ancient your eyes bleed when you play it then. Except of course you are one of these gfx wh0res who always need the newest stuff even when it's bugged to hell. ;-)

I want the DayZ Standalone version of Chernarus. I always thought Utes should've been combined with Chernarus. Not only that, but there are so many great changes to the map!

BIS, you guys have done such a great job with the Chernarus map, it's beautiful, green, and has plenty of space to do stuff in :)

I'll be playing ArmA2 for quite a long time after ArmA3 is released.. even though I don't play DayZ an upgrade like this would be fantastic. For both DayZ and regular ArmA players.

OFP lasted me for a decade and Arma II may well reach the same useful age. Iron Front on the Arma II engine is also showing promise to be a long term favourite. The release state of ACR and the fact that it has yet to see any of its undocumented features patched might have something to do with the number of servers running it.

Regards,

Sander

Edited by sander

The transition from Arma1 to Arma2 for me was almost overnight, Arma2 to Arma3 I feel wont be at all like you mention. Well, first of all it doesn't have lush green atmos like Chernarus, the mods that are out for 2 will keep it going a looong time through 3's release (and BI support as with 1 when 2 was out) that should speak for itself.

The only other possible angle for BI would be a Chernarus 2 Open for Arma3 engine later on ... maybe they might be thinking that way, maybe not. The main reasons is there renewed effort to mod that original map for DayZ. This isn't a complaint, that looks great, but if they are already one step back into those models for that map, then why not follow through back to the original and release an open final version as a Sign off to Arma2 as 3 arrives?

The main reason over all of it IS becuase of DayZ in many ways, that alone is keeping it fresh again, to re apply the buildings as open with paths etc would simply be the icing on an otherwise almost perfect timeless cake. Lets face it how many other game maps since 2009 have touched what it brings in visual & location/setting ... not many at all. Revamping the big boss would be a great send off.

The thread title isn't perfect "small DLC" as its much work than that in many ways, but as they are delving into it for DayZ it opens the question if you wanted it none the less.

Edited by mrcash2009

It would be nice if DayZ SA could be integrated to ArmA2 as TKOH Rearmed did, call it ArmA2 DayZed. Then ArmA people who want Chernarus+ could just buy DayZ or else DayZ players would have to pay twice to have Chernarus+ on DayZ and ArmA2.

I would rather pay for it as a DLC (£5 - £10) for Arma 3. Though my biggest wish is to see previous content/DLC updated and ported to A3, but thats another story.

If EVERY building was enterable and had an interior, think how horribly performance would be. With every home having atleast a chair and a table, think how much more objects needs to be processed. I'd vouch for it if it wouldn't kill performance. Also remember DayZ standalone isn't built around the AI like ARMA is, meaning that Chernarus Plus is built in mind that no NPC's are having to use up CPU cycles, so they have more performance available.

I'll be playing ArmA2 for quite a long time after ArmA3 is released.. even though I don't play DayZ an upgrade like this would be fantastic. For both DayZ and regular ArmA players.

This.

Cherna with open buildings would be quite fun.

If EVERY building was enterable and had an interior, think how horribly performance would be.

Future and updated rigs & draw distance, lets face it this was a 2009 map. Plus it doesn't have building all the time on that map just small towns in certain areas, coast line south cherno would probably be the biggest hit, but then it could be acceptable to limit certain buildings in such large poly areas, but smalls villages & towns for deff could be open.

Huts, shacks, houses, barns (some of them are already), farm houses, and so on would be the main focus. Simply anything that is residential that at the moment have no doors or interiors at all, large industry areas are covered in many places already.

Edited by mrcash2009

Future and updated rigs & draw distance, lets face it this was a 2009 map. Plus it doesn't have building all the time on that map just small towns in certain areas, coast line south cherno would probably be the biggest hit, but then it could be acceptable to limit certain buildings in such large poly areas, but smalls villages & towns for deff could be open.

Huts, shacks, houses, barns (some of them are already), farm houses, and so on would be the main focus. Simply anything that is residential that at the moment have no doors or interiors at all, large industry areas are covered in many places already.

I don't think that they can change the way buildings render. Although I cannot prove it as I am not a developer.