Sign in to follow this  
daringd

Is it possible to manually place clutter, for instance, atop a building?

I'm currently trying to figure out if I can create a sort of 'bunker' hidden underground... Now I know that ARMA really doesn't want to have me putting things underground, so i thought of creating a model with the internals I want and then disguising the outside as terrain, covering it in clutter and placing it in a specially made 'dugout' in the terrain its self...

has anyone done something like this before, or know of the possibility of manually 'pre placed' clutter models (that would be affectedbywind)

Sometimes I feel I'm no longer making a map, so much as engineering situations where I can ask odd questions...

D

Why don't you just put some trees, bushes, plants on top of the building with the 3D-ingame Editor? You can easily alter the height there...

If it HAS to be clutter: try to add stuff from Clutter folder as a natural object and see if you can place it like a plant...

If it HAS to be clutter: try to add stuff from Clutter folder as a natural object and see if you can place it like a plant...

that's what I was going to try, see if it works... I just wondered if anyone else had done this and there were/are any weird side effects

D

I've got the bunker in place that has a hatch on top ( which is the only thing that sticks out) around that I have flat ground pieces with the same snow texture from my terrain. On top of that since its hidden I have huge boulders around it with one way in that's hidden by trees.

I didn't put clutter on it but I have import clutter into the natural objects and placed them before.

Only thing I noticed when you place the ground peices try to make them stick out a big farther then the actual terrain and just slightly higher so that the player is actually fully on the ground object before crossing over the theshold of where the actual ground meets the artificial ground otherwise you get a slidding sound effect ( like your sliding down a sharp decline) then when you player actually get onto the bunker you hear no footstep sounds.

Since the game doesn't really do undergound I guess a bit of workarounds are needed.

Hmmm,

well there are ways of creating footstep sounds for buiuldings, so it's a case of adding the correct sound to the material used to 'hide' the bunker, for instance, you don't get a slide sound when you place a concrete block sticking out of a shear cliff and run on it, so i think there is a way,, I'll import clutter and give it a bash in the week, I'll post up some results when I'm done for anyone who gives a f... er... anyone who cares.

D

Hi guys!

Interesting question!...

I'm pretty sure there was a little discussion about an idea like this a while back... I'll see if I can track down the thread later...

It's perfectly possible to add clutter models to your "natural objects" list and use them in the normal way. Clutter models are a little "simplistic" compared to the regular veg models, but they'll work OK.

What might not work is the "swaying in wind" thing... that's a "clutter config" parameter of course, and won't be available if the model is being used as a "regular object"...

(Trees sway in the wind, but I think that's part of a "named property thingy" in their models)...

Another "clutter config" parameter that probably won't be available for clutter in this context is the "SW_Lighting" one - this controls whether the clutter models can be "shaded" by the Sat Layer (they're mostly designed to be, so they "blend" a little better with the overall tones), so you'll see the clutter models in their "default/natural" colouring...

Since the clutter models are basically just simple models, I can't think of any immediate reason why you shouldn't be able to call on them as proxy objects, included on the bunker model itself, which would save you a bit of individual placement fuss... Of course, every bunker would then have exactly the same "clutter carpet", but, like ZeroG says, you could break that impression up a little with the occasional strategic bush or two...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

well, There is this little island in the firth of Forth, just north west of Edinburgh called Cramond island, and on there sit a bunch of old WWII bunkers, decrepit, broken, covered in graffiti and most have some grass beginning to grow over them. The more I thought about it, the more I started to think that the grass and wildlife growing over something is about the best way to 'describe' in terms of a computer game, that something is hellishly old and not looked after. I really want to add an area of completely broken down old town in my terrain, and I had this idea that, if I could place the odd bit of clutter here and there, it might go a long way to selling that something is very old and, literally, overgrown.

Also I wanted a bunker.

I'm going to see what I can find on make the trees move in the wind and see if I can apply that to the clutter, maybe just copy clutter over to a new folder, and create a whole new instance of it with a new 'whatever makes it blow', obviously being very careful not to dabble in the devil's work of altering the BIS files... but if I could find a way to modify how those files (intact) work, maybe.... just maybe... or I could just make my own clutter... with the blowy thing in there, and use that.

D

By the way, Bush, I'm sure you noticed, but I shamelessly copied your little signature layout there...

Edited by daringd

I shamelessly copied your little signature layout there...

:D I shamelessly copied mine from Gnat... ;)

(well, the changing images idea anyway)...

BI WIKI Named Properties

"BushSoft, BushHard", etc for the "swaying in wind" thing...

B

Edited by Bushlurker