Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Multiplayer "Real time editor" to visitor

First, before you think you will find something epic in here. No, I haven't done anything..

However, imagine the roadpainter tool and how successful it have been, adding something like this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7263 Real time editor that works in MP.

Would be excellent to grab a few friends, beer.. and they don't even have to know visitor. You help out to build villages and cities with great details and "personaility".

Your friends can work on their own "land", building a farm..

at the end of the session, export from arma, import to visitor. Next weekend, new village.

I thinking this could be really fun in squads/mod groups that have 1-2 guys that knows visitor but perhaps 20 that can use the mission editor.

So seems we got almost all the tools we need.

Is someone working on this, or interesting to try figure it out? I can support with what i know.. but sadly i dont think thats enough.

MCC Sandbox. You can use it in conjunction with RTE to do pretty much what you are describing, though I don't really know anything about Visitor yet. Once again, I may be posting out of my depth here.

There's a "translator/importer/thingy" facility built into World Tools which was supposed to convert from the format that the built-in 3D Editor outputs, and turn it into object import files for visitor...

Search this forum section heavily - you might turn up a little discussion... And/or check all the World Tools release threads... I think it appeared in WT 1.5 or 1.6.

For general purpose collaboration with non-visitor users it should work out OK.. you'll need one of the "Editor Upgrade" pbo's to make the full object lists appear in the Editor...

The main problem with using the 3DE, or even the RTE is that there's a slight positioning discrepancy that creeps in to the output files, the further away from the Map Origin (the 0,0 point) that you place stuff...

That could cause a slight "drift" in hyper-accurately placed things like bridge sections, or pavement sections 'n stuff...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

thanks for the reply :) Didn't know world tools had that function.

Can't wait to try this out and I will report back how it went :)