Sign in to follow this  
NeuroFunker

Things you wish NOT to have in the game!

You can, but what happens when someone makes an addon and release on armaholic, six updater, or puts a thread here on the forums. Then some asshole on Steamworkshop steals YOUR work that you have taken your free time to make for the community to enjoy and releases it there and claims it as his own? That's just wrong. And people may not understand, but to addon makers it's a big deal.

Does that mean someone could download your work and modify it themselves like re-texture it?

I don't want those pink square glasses in A3. That is all.

Does that mean someone could download your work and modify it themselves like re-texture it?

They already can, preferably WITH the original creators, permission. If not and they go public about it then we simply castrate them.

I don't think the worskhop will hurt websites such as Armaholic, they have their own forums which gives them a somewhat dedicated userbase, not to mention they are just so very convenient and organized. Wherein the workshop it seems you have to sift through things with no categorization, whereas Armaholic has infantry and vehicles down to the specific type.

Edited by NodUnit

They already can, preferably WITH the original creators, permission. If not and they go public about it then we simply castrate them.

I don't think the worskhop will hurt websites such as Armaholic, they have their own forums which gives them a somewhat dedicated userbase, not to mention they are just so very convenient and organized. Wherein the workshop it seems you have to sift through things with no categorization, whereas Armaholic has infantry and vehicles down to the specific type.

This is a pretty sound point: if the Steam Workshop implementation is poor but mods are not exclusive to Steam Workshop... then you can just go to where the (non-BI forums) Arma players are and evangelize how much better Armaholic is for finding (specific) missions and mods at. :D

This is a pretty sound point: if the Steam Workshop implementation is poor but mods are not exclusive to Steam Workshop... then you can just go to where the (non-BI forums) Arma players are and evangelize how much better Armaholic is for finding (specific) missions and mods at. :D

From what I gather I think the fear (or one of) is more that Steamworks has supposedly poor moderation and people can upload others work without proper credit or permission and without it being removed etc. Where as a simple message to Armaholic and they sort it out. It happens alot more than people probably think.

Although I'm not 100% on that, I try to minimize my Steam exposure, simply due to the fact that running a program to run a program only after these programs have updated sometimes kills my spirit.

Edited by Sabre

There's actually precious little insight in the news article (from BI) and from the devblog about the subject and almost nothing about mods except "User Generated Content" being a dev priority. T'is interesting, considering the rise of DayZ Commander doing way mere than merely downloading/installing/loading up DayZ mod straightaway in Arma 2: CO, and of course the Six suite...

EDIT:

so let put flat out some claims to death

1. STEAM adoption will not block any possibility to use 3rd party tools (let say sixupdater)

2. STEAM adoption will not replace content hubs like armaholic

5. arguments about chance something being stolen because it's easier to upload them to STEAM ... well i bet if we adopted e.g. Desura it would be same argument all over again, there was always someone trying steal our and mods content since 2000 so i guess that's moot point
This is as close as we have to official dev elaboration re: Arma 3 mods, and more informative than the devblog!

EDIT: Never mind, Placebo is on the case.

Edited by Chortles

Please no TF2 hats with preorders on steam. :)
Why not? I mean, if they actually did Steam preorders the way that they were implemented for XCOM: Enemy Unknown... this could be very interesting: "Preorders get TF2 hats... but if we get enough preorders, you all get giftable copies of Combined Operations!"* (The first-tier preorder bonus besides hats was a DLC, but I don't know any plausible Arma 3 equivalent for that.)

* Ahahahaha way more likely to be Cold War Assault.

Please no TF2 hats with preorders on steam. :)

WTH? Why do you think that this will be the case simply because ArmA3 is now Steam exclusive? There won't be TF2 hats with preorders. Doubt that. This is something that has to be a deal between BIS and Valve. And they won't do that. Just like there won't be Free Weekends for ArmA3. Once again, a deal has to be made between BIS and Valve, and I really doubt they've made a deal like that.

No steam achievements for multiplayer. Singleplayer achievements are fine.

No steam achievements for multiplayer. Singleplayer achievements are fine.

Where has it been said that there will be Steam achievements in ArmA 3? I mean, I definitely don't want that either.

Didn't mean to really discuss, just stating what I don't want in arma 3 as per the thread title.

Didn't mean to really discuss, just stating what I don't want in arma 3 as per the thread title.

Yep that's right, but i'm afraid we'll have a lot of "i don't want that Steam feature" in there :p

Ah I see. to reset...

I don't want popping trees, textures or grass. Really ruins immersion and can effect gameplay when bushes are morphing all the time, making it too hard or too easy to spot enemies.

Replying to: Things you wish NOT to have in the game!

I don't want to be driving down the main drag from Moudros to Kontopouli and roll past a Valve/Steam billboard.

What?

"I solved this by closing and re-opening Steam.... but now i have other problems. F***"

kinda tiering of all that "no steam" moan. But the shit seems still to break.

I have some not possible wish, no hackers and cheaters, but tbh. is there any game out there, wheres nobody cheating?

Probably been said, but: Zombies.

not gona be/was ever, and even since they are now developing dayz standalone.

What i don't want to see:

Tanks going into "lubed ice skating mode" when pressing left/right while moving forward without applying gas as well... I mean i got used to it and can kinda control it now but geez...

An AI-driver doing a 17 point turn on a villagestreet or taking out halve a squad of friendlies at the start of a mission. Serious, I really hope for some improved AI driving skils.

ragdoll, I don't want ragdoll all those precious CPU cycles should be used for A.I.