Sign in to follow this  
NeuroFunker

Things you wish NOT to have in the game!

Well, I fail to see why the people refusing to use Steam should stfu now. Or you see anyone saying 'cut off the praising now?'

I have nothing against steam, I use it for other games. But if ARMA3 is integrated into steam the way ARMA2 is then its going to suck.

The reason is simple, options control and ease of use. Mod's are a lot easier to use and launch on the non steam version. You know what version of the game you have, it doesn't randomly update. I play in a big 40vs40 game (ATC) each week for around 4/5 months a year, if they patch the game they could break the mission and cause a massive issue. The only reason it doesn't happen now is because the updates are few and far between (because of the non steam version).

Also ARMA2 is and ARMA3 will be "system hogs", and tbh steam isn't going to help in this area, infact its going to take resources away that the game could use.

I would also like to add that I am a IT Desktop Engineer I work on PC's all day long , and even I have issues understanding why ARMA2 and Mods won't work with steam sometimes. But give me the normal non steam game and I'll have the problem fixed in no time.

I have nothing against steam, I use it for other games. But if ARMA3 is integrated into steam the way ARMA2 is then its going to suck.

The reason is simple, options control and ease of use. Mod's are a lot easier to use and launch on the non steam version. You know what version of the game you have, it doesn't randomly update. I play in a big 40vs40 game (ATC) each week for around 4/5 months a year, if they patch the game they could break the mission and cause a massive issue. The only reason it doesn't happen now is because the updates are few and far between (because of the non steam version).

Also ARMA2 is and ARMA3 will be "system hogs", and tbh steam isn't going to help in this area, infact its going to take resources away that the game could use.

I would also like to add that I am a IT Desktop Engineer I work on PC's all day long , and even I have issues understanding why ARMA2 and Mods won't work with steam sometimes. But give me the normal non steam game and I'll have the problem fixed in no time.

Mods work the same way still. Always have. Steam does also not use up all your computers resources. It's a tiny amount.

If you can't do both while trying to play an ArmA game, it's time for an upgrade, or troubleshoot for your problem.

Mods work the same way still. Always have. Steam does also not use up all your computers resources. It's a tiny amount.

If you can't do both while trying to play an ArmA game, it's time for an upgrade, or troubleshoot for your problem.

All fine and good it works well for you. That doesn't mean it free of problems for others.

And then there are people who simply refuse to be forced to use Steam. If that's their bad, or if it's the community bad we all will find out sooner or later.

Fairly typical (and pathetic) response that...though I wonder how much whining would be going on from the other side if the decision would have been to cut ties with Steam?

And what if BIS said Origin-only instead of Steam - although they are the same thing. There would be oh so much whining about how Origin kills your freedomz from Steam fans here.

greeks
Classic.;)

____

I read on the internet -so it's gotta be true- that this decision was forced on BIS as a bail condition.

Stupid and unrealistic pointless mission like domination

Nobody forces you to play user made missions or do you suggest that missions should be BI approved first?

it's kinda pointless to say that, cause first, domination isn't official mission, second like Tony said.

Oh, I haven't seen anti domina posts for some time (or I didn't notice them, not following this forum closely anymore) :D

Don't worry, I won't get SteA3m (domina is abandoned anyway) and I won't hand out permissions to port it to A3.

You just have to fire up the editor and build the MP mission/mode of your dreams, very easy. Just takes lots of time.

Xeno

Oh, I haven't seen anti domina posts for some time (or I didn't notice them, not following this forum closely anymore) :D

Don't worry, I won't get SteA3m (domina is abandoned anyway) and I won't hand out permissions to port it to A3.

You just have to fire up the editor and build the MP mission/mode of your dreams, very easy. Just takes lots of time.

Xeno

sometimes....sometimes...those post of xeno's are so to my own taste. (no sarcasm here).

Pity about you moving on due to forced steam though

Seems like the DayZ outbreak again. I respect each sides opinions, but everybody is dealing with this so immaturely. if you don't like the steam overlay or even steam at all, write a letter to BIS and let them know what you think. If you like steam, then don't start bashing on other people's opinions. Seriously, how can THIS break up the community, I thought the ARMA community was a mature community.

Xeno

well, because someone says something bad about ur work, you havn't necessary drop things cause of that. Actually i know lots of ppl, including my friends, who started playing dayz, and after ive shown them some domi, they were hooked in it from the start.

unplayable islands,out of object draw distance tab to lock,AA launchers auto lock, AA launchers short range,2-3 sabots survived choppers,current damage system (eg sabot to T72 track=>blow),so high accuracy of all weapons in game except pistols etc etc etc - cu :)

Fairly typical (and pathetic) response that...though I wonder how much whining would be going on from the other side if the decision would have been to cut ties with Steam?

1. Personally I would never whine if ties were to be cut with Steam. I like the platform but that does not mean I require it to play video games. This issue does not touch me at all.

2. He already stated in other threads his opinion about this matter, no need keep doing it everywhere. That's why I said "We get it".

3. Your response is also fairly typical. And by the way, it is clear from the dev blog post the decision has been made and there is no turning back. Whining, I believe, won't do it any good.

BattlEye, I love how people complain about getting tons of community support for (on their end at least) absolutely free, saying that it's a virus and has popups (what?), but are totally ok with getting spammed in-game by an anti-cheat client!

Seems like the DayZ outbreak again. I respect each sides opinions, but everybody is dealing with this so immaturely. if you don't like the steam overlay or even steam at all, write a letter to BIS and let them know what you think. If you like steam, then don't start bashing on other people's opinions. Seriously, how can THIS break up the community, I thought the ARMA community was a mature community.

If you don't like the Steam overlay, you can turn the damn thing off.

BattlEye, I love how people complain about getting tons of community support for (on their end at least) absolutely free, saying that it's a virus and has popups (what?), but are totally ok with getting spammed in-game by an anti-cheat client!

I think the biggest thing is that you can turn BE off on your server if you want. Lets see how that goes with steam and VAC...

I think most people are upset about this because they feel that its taking away options... I like the options and the openness about Arma. Its a bit uncertain on how that's going to play out now.

I remember someone saying steamworks would ruin armaholic but I think something a lot of people don't understand is that you can still make mods outside of steam works.

I think the biggest thing is that you can turn BE off on your server if you want. Lets see how that goes with steam and VAC...

I think most people are upset about this because they feel that its taking away options... I like the options and the openness about Arma. Its a bit uncertain on how that's going to play out now.

...you realize you can turn off VAC on servers too, right? (it just works in the background instead of trying to brag out to everyone about how good it is then later have to remind everyone every 5 minutes that the hackers are pretending to be Battleye because they're idiots and bragged out to everyone about their anti-cheat)

Hell in Red Orchestra 2 you can host with a mixture of PunkBuster and/or VAC.

I remember someone saying steamworks would ruin armaholic but I think something a lot of people don't understand is that you can still make mods outside of steam works.

You can, but what happens when someone makes an addon and release on armaholic, six updater, or puts a thread here on the forums. Then some asshole on Steamworkshop steals YOUR work that you have taken your free time to make for the community to enjoy and releases it there and claims it as his own? That's just wrong. And people may not understand, but to addon makers it's a big deal.

...you realize you can turn off VAC on servers too, right? (it just works in the background instead of trying to brag out to everyone about how good it is then later have to remind everyone every 5 minutes that the hackers are pretending to be Battleye because they're idiots and bragged out to everyone about their anti-cheat)

Hell in Red Orchestra 2 you can host with a mixture of PunkBuster and/or VAC.

You can turn it off for the server, but its still going on your client. That's not off like BE. Some people like to play with signature checking, some with out it, some like to play with BE some with out it. We will have to wait and see if those types of options are still available in A3.

Edited by Riouken

I can't help but believe that the Arma 2 implementation on Steam working so badly is part of why Arma 3 uses Steamworks...