Sign in to follow this  
mihikle

Error loading Map Legend

Hi guys,

Visitor looked really interesting so I decided I might give it a crack, however whilst trying to import some sample maps I find I keep coming across the same problem, this is taken from the BI sample map import attempt:

Error loading 'P:\ca\SampleMap\Source\mapLegend

The problem is that the mapLegend does exist, it is in the same folder as the SAT and Mask files. Can anyone tell me how I fix this problem as this would be the third sample map I have tried now.

Where do you have is your "SampleMap" folder located? According to the path it should be in the "ca" folder in your P: Drive, which isn't a good idea as you aren't supposed to have any of your stuff in the ca folder. Change the path in your layers.cfg which you are trying to load to "P:\SampleMap\Source\mapLegend" and if it's not already there put your SampleMap folder into your P: Drive.

Welcome to "this part of the forums" by the way :)

Hmm,

Well none of it is in the CA folder which is weird....

Here is the actual address of the mapLegend:

P:\MIHKL\BISampleMap\CA\SampleMap\Source

and the mapLegend is in there. Any ideas? :S

I am extremely confused by the way your folder is set up to be honest.

I suggest that you follow this great tutorial http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?124623-Bush-s-Geotypical-Microterrains-Source-Files-amp-Beginners-Guide that will lead you through the basic installation of the tools and will explain how to correctly set your folders up along with an explanation of pretty much everything else you need to know.

I too would recommend the tutorial that FreakJoe linked too. Your file structure is a bit odd and might cause problems in the future. However, as a short term solution to your problem, check your layers.cfg. The path within the layers.cfg for your maplegend seems to be incorrect.

Alright in that case i'll start again and follow that guide instead, cheers for the help guys!

I am extremely confused by the way your folder is set up to be honest.

I suggest that you follow this great tutorial http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?124623-Bush-s-Geotypical-Microterrains-Source-Files-amp-Beginners-Guide that will lead you through the basic installation of the tools and will explain how to correctly set your folders up along with an explanation of pretty much everything else you need to know.

Bushlurkers Tutorial recommends you back to the one he was doing if your a complete beginner. Which you should be following anyway, as it covers stuff bushlurker doesn't.

Basically mihikle follow Bushlurkers, and he'll tell you to start with the one that you are following now to get the basics down. ( http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial#Introduction )

And as for your error, I had the same thing. You can either amend the layers file which if you keep the same folder structure, you will also have to amend a few other files for it to work. or the simpler thing is to just structure it out as its layed out in the tutorial.

e.g.

P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source\layers.cfg

If you were to structure your folders like that this will fix this issue, and further issues later on, as the way some files reference object locations won't be found with your current structure.

Edited by Python.au

Basically mihikle follow Bushlurkers, and he'll tell you to start with the one that you are following now to get the basics down.

Absolutely!

I started my Arma 2 terrainmaking career with good 'ol Sgt Ace's Tut Samplemap myself - it's an ideal introduction.

The one problem with it nowadays is the "initial setting up of the P:\ drive section" right at the beginning, which is a little laborious and out-of-date... we have a Mikero tool for that job now. So basically my Guide covers the basic setup and install, then refers you directly to Sgt Ace's tutorial, bypassing the tools setup part...

The main reason for that is 'cause Sgt Ace's Tut IS an ideal introduction - it's simple, works 100% if you follow instructions and literally, within a couple of hours you can be standing on a terrain you made!

That kind of early success breeds confidence and encourages people to tackle the rest of my guide, which basically follows a similar vein but in a bit more detail - the whole point being to explain in more detail the kind of necessary structure Python.au's talking about...

B