Sign in to follow this  
Ezcoo

Artificial ATC

QbVvzEt.png

Introduction

Artificial ATC is an addon-free, easy-to-attach script packet that adds completely automated Air Traffic Control to the desired airfield on the map. Artificial ATC allows two-way communication between pilots and ATC. The main communication system is handled by player. However, it has an automatic backup system that guides the pilot and warns other pilots in the zone of danger if the pilot fails to communicate with ATC. Fixed-wing aircraft cockpits play additional warning tones in case of danger.

Features

Artificial ATC generates autonomous, dynamic air traffic control to the desired airfield that:

• monitors the situation of the airfield that it controls and the airspace around it
  • directs the arriving and departing aircrafts and the aircrafts on the airfield
  • is able to notice and react relatively early to most of the threats that might danger the traffic flow and safety by giving the aircrafts in danger enough time to avoid the possible collision and guiding the possible pilot that is making a mistake to cancel his intended maneuver

• examples of possible issues that ATC considers as threat:
  • aircraft that is taking off without permission

• aircraft that is landing without permission

• aircraft that is landing on wrong runway

• obstacle on the runway

Artificial ATC does:

• prevent the most of midair collisions and collisions on and near the airfield by enhancing the situational awareness of especially fixed-wing pilots
  • prevent some of the intented teamkills that involve in aircrafts near or on the airfield that it controls
  • increase immersion as pilot.

Artificial ATC does not:

• prevent intented teamkills by more skilled teamkillers
  • control rotary-wing traffic on or near the airfield.

Artificial ATC may:

• control also rotary-wing traffic
  • use also TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) in the fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircrafts that have more advanced radar and communication systems

in the future.

Credits:

qbt
–
Lead Programmer

Ezcoo
–
Algorithm, System & Sound Designer

I agree with Rock. This sounds wonderful!

Abs

Very interesting indeed - keeping an eye on this!

I have a basic radar script for flight following lying around somewhere on my SSD, if you are interested i can share it with you :)

Sounds indeed amazing,looks like the airports will become busy hubs with airtraffic, cant wait to see it action.

This sounds perfect for ARMA2, just what we need for Airports, be nice if you could add connectivity to the Nimitz as well. Be watching this one for sure!

Thanks for the positive feedback! It's always nice to know that there is need for such thing.

I have a basic radar script for flight following lying around somewhere on my SSD, if you are interested i can share it with you :)

Sure, we'd be happy to take a look to it. The tracking of aircrafts and the estimation method to sort the aircrafts that are e.g. landing or taking off is based on 3D vectors that are calculated from aircraft positions, so your script might be useful! :)

This sounds perfect for ARMA2, just what we need for Airports, be nice if you could add connectivity to the Nimitz as well. Be watching this one for sure!

We'll endeavour to make the script as easy as possible to port to other maps – Artificial ATC won't be fully portable as it is though, because you'll have to get the peripheral positions for runway, taxiways and the airfield itself and also the angles of runway manually before it can be implemented to that airfield. As far as I know, there is no way to get those automatically. We'll make detailed guide with pictures to explain it completely and understandably, so that you don't have to read the whole script and try to figure out yourself what you have to change.

If we have enough time, maybe we could create also UI for the ATC and give the player the chance to take control of the ATC – it wouldn't be that hard, all required information would be produced by Artificial ATC already, and qbt is able to do pretty nice and complex dialogs. :)

But, it's not time to celebrate yet – trigonometry was not my favourite subject in the advanced maths courses in the upper secondary school, and because it's combined with vectors in 3D space now, I've had to take a look to my math books and will have to do it many times again before Artificial ATC will be released! ;)

Looks great sir.

Do you have experience as a RL pilot or ATC controller?

Sent from my DROIDX

Whoa.

I haven't played with it yet but just the idea and effort looks great already.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks great sir.

Do you have experience as a RL pilot or ATC controller?

I wish I had :D

By the way, I would appreciate it greatly if someone of you became the golden voice of ATC :cool: I've been using Google Translate so far, which does surprisingly nice job especially in cockpit sounds but the ATC sounds a little bit weird. :D

Requirements:

- ability to record pretty high quality audio (not so much background noise like DC offset) in lossless format like .wav (preferrably mono)

- preferrably American accent

- mature voice appreciated, but not required

If you're interested, PM me even if you didn't fulfill every requirement. The only mandatory requirement is that the audio must be recorded in lossless format like .wav, because I'll use multiple post-processing effects that tend to multiply any errors in the sound. Even minor background noise might be OK, because the chances are high that it can be filtered out.

Sure, we'd be happy to take a look to it. The tracking of aircrafts and the estimation method to sort the aircrafts that are e.g. landing or taking off is based on 3D vectors that are calculated from aircraft positions, so your script might be useful! :)

I'll hook you up with it this evening. Glad if it helps you :)

awesome :eek:

Published in spanish for the CAA News Team on the CAA forum.

Thanks mate, we're very flattered! :o

Shoot me a PM if you need help. I'm a RL ATC in Atlanta, GA.

Shoot me a PM if you need help. I'm a RL ATC in Atlanta, GA.

I'd appreciate your comments greatly! Didn't expect this really. It would be very interesting to get feedback and suggestions from RL ATC, so I might PM you in the near future! :)

The recent news about Arma 3 being Steam-exclusive have squished my motivation to continue on these projects though, because the projects where I'm in have A3 as the target game. Issues with Steam might make the A3 unplayable for me (not because I don't want Steam, it's just connection issue on my side)... I'll keep developing for the time being, but I really hope that they'll publish more info about the features soon. Uncertainty is the worst thing.

(not because I don't want Steam, it's just connection issue on my side)...

They did say that you can play it with Steam working in offline mode. Not sure if that helps you in any way.

Abs

They did say that you can play it with Steam working in offline mode. Not sure if that helps you in any way.

Abs

Yes, but without the multiplayer. Arma – MP = nothing to me, so it wouldn't be an option. I really, really hope that the connection to Steam during playing isn't needed. I can stand every other issue that it brings to me, but that would be the killer because I loose connection to Steam for short periods all the time. At this moment it seems so that continuous connection won't be needed (fingers crossed). Thanks for the try though. :)

for what it's worth, check out what Rocket had been working on. I tried to get in touch in order to get a copy(never released), but of course, he's very busy...:D Maybe you would have better luck than I.

USEC LHA AI Airboss

Yeah, but good luck getting Rocket (aka- Dean Hall- creater of DayZ IIRC) contacting you back or releasing any information pertaining to the scripting. I don't mean that in a sarcastic manner...I really mean, GOOD LUCK!

Yup, Rocket is probably the busiest man in the world these days, I think that it would be pretty pointless to try to contact him. :p

I watched the introduction video behind the link. Based on it, I can say that we're not making a complex system like it is. Our goal is to make simple, easily understandable ATC that doesn't freeze in the worst conditions (read: socially challenged guys blocking runway and crashing to planes, two planes landing on the same runway from opposite directions at the same time etc.), because you need it in just those situations. The instructions will be very simple, so that even a pilot that takes control of aircraft the first time understands them. On the other hand, if the system will work well and it becomes popular, I see no reason to not to develop a more advanced version and/or let the community make their own versions based on our project. Time will tell... :)