Sign in to follow this  
Leaulux

ARMA 3 OPFOR Discussion Thread

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/418/arma3worldblocs.jpg

So,Poland and Russia are buddies again. Did EU finaly crashed in this timeline ? I understand leaving The New Soviet Union (or EU as other call it) but NATO ? We're pretty much the last loyal ones to the alliance.When i last checked we and russians were enemies.We re always enemies and i dont think we would be together unles there were some serious changes in that country.Maybe its simply to piss of the germans who want their money back (takiego wała) Will germany invade us again ? Who will antarctica support ?

Now it looks like there 3 "empires" the bad mediterranean guys.african muslims and china, The good west- yankees and western europe and the independent slavs minding their own buisness (probably east west cooperation to get rid of the "axis of evil")

Wait, i forgot. Russia is not going to be in first relase right ? So, we re waiting for DLC.Then you'll see what badass means

Edited by Tes

Highly doubt that Poland would be under Russian influence without it being forced on them. This map gets even more hilarious as i've seen picture of NATO members from ArmA 3 showing off german KSK unit, probably british SAS, some italian SF unit and polish GROM unit embeded as NATO. Story is still being under development AFAIK.

Im not saying that im pro NATO - don't really give a damn what county in what alliance is - just want it to be playable.

Im not saying that im pro NATO - don't really give a damn what county in what alliance is - just want it to be playable.

Don't forget that in Arma's world, the stories are slightly different than the real world (Armaverse).

I'm really glad that OPFOR seems to be very powerful in this game.

Highly doubt that Poland would be under Russian influence without it being forced on them. This map gets even more hilarious as i've seen picture of NATO members from ArmA 3 showing off german KSK unit, probably british SAS, some italian SF unit and polish GROM unit embeded as NATO. Story is still being under development AFAIK.

That was a fan made picture.

Russian or Chinese OPFOR DLC. A US vs China Pacific DLC would be awesome.

Hell yes. The problem is, where would a map be? Did Chinese push to Hawaii? Are Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand all fighting the good fight? Have they been defeated? It'd take a while to make the content without there being some holes here and there, I imagine.

I'm curious, what happened to Israel here though? I doubt they got swamped over quite so easily, since in the past they've fought heavily. What, did Iran nuke them? It makes about as much sense as Iran using Merkavas and Tavors. Maybe we could go back in time to see IDF with NATO assistance try to fight off the Iranian military.

Hell yes. The problem is, where would a map be? Did Chinese push to Hawaii? Are Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand all fighting the good fight? Have they been defeated? It'd take a while to make the content without there being some holes here and there, I imagine.

I'm curious, what happened to Israel here though? I doubt they got swamped over quite so easily, since in the past they've fought heavily. What, did Iran nuke them? It makes about as much sense as Iran using Merkavas and Tavors. Maybe we could go back in time to see IDF with NATO assistance try to fight off the Iranian military.

Regarding the pacific theater. I could see the action taking place somewhere in the Philippines or Indonesia. That way, if BI decides to do an expansion, they could drop in some ANZAC forces, trying to keep the trouble away from their homes. Scenario could be something along the lines of civil war with a spice of trade route blockade.

As for Israel. In the latest screen(s) we saw Iran using the T-100 and the KH-2002. Thing is, we don't know what was Iran's relation to Israel in the Armaverse. Israel could have very well sold that gear to Iran 10 years before the whole Turkey debacle.

I was rather hoping that if they do a Pacific Expansion pack, that it should be on a large map consisting of an archipeligo, with China on one side (maybe North Korea too?), facing off against ANZAC/US nforces, would be good for having ships (since physx should allow us to walk on moving vessels), with amphib forces also being fleshed out a bit. Don't know what kind of story would lead us to that though, I guess it could be something like:

US gets distracted by Iran, China needs a resource, the archipeligo has lots of this (guess it should be oil), and so China takes an opporunity to sieze it, at first with just nationalists or something (like the current situation over those pacific islands), but then it escalates, maybe have the islands phillipines owned or maybe make up another NATO leening nation?

That was a fan made picture.

Just let them think it's real. Everyone's using these pics like they are real. I am honestly flattered by it all.

Or its simply AFTER the war with israel. Its 2030 and the situation is pretty tense right now. 20 years is plenty of time.Maybe Palestine is nuclear wasteland by this time. How the new empire was created ? muslims are now a big trouble,Look what is happening in London or Paris.During next 10 years things may be that bad that we will have to get rid of them.What will happen ? nobody knows. BIS version is that we won this battle (but we also suffered big loses) and Muslims had to run away from europe. Now its 2030 they regrouped under one banner (nothing brings together more than enemy) and are pissed off.Looks like World War III to me.

At the same time, though, I didn't make up the poland part. Most of europe and how it is, that's what BIS planned. I just mapped out the rest of the world based on current relations with iran, china, or russia.

2015 - United States Dollar loses Reserve Currency Status. Economic Collapse.

2020 - Great Depression sinks North America and Europe. Revolutions occur in some countries, US Forces forced to deal with problems in their own country.

2020-2030 - Middle Eastern & Asian Countries enjoy prosperity under new "Yuan" currency and BRIC quickly dominates the economic world. Countries such as Iran, China and Russia are able to make swift advances in technology to rival the struggling NATO countries that are stuck in Economic Chaos.

2030-2035 - Aggression against Japan, South Korea, Philippines, and Australia leads to war against the great Superpower of China. Iran resurrects the Persian Empire and absorbs much of the Middle East under one banner that launches an all out invasion of Europe.

2035-20XX - World War 3 Has Begun !

2015 - United States Dollar loses Reserve Currency Status. Economic Collapse.

2020 - Great Depression sinks North America and Europe. Revolutions occur in some countries, US Forces forced to deal with problems in their own country.

2020-2030 - Middle Eastern & Asian Countries enjoy prosperity under new "Yuan" currency and BRIC quickly dominates the economic world. Countries such as Iran, China and Russia are able to make swift advances in technology to rival the struggling NATO countries that are stuck in Economic Chaos.

2030-2035 - Aggression against Japan, South Korea, Philippines, and Australia leads to war against the great Superpower of China. Iran resurrects the Persian Empire and absorbs much of the Middle East under one banner that launches an all out invasion of Europe.

2035-20XX - World War 3 Has Begun !

Nope. No World War 3 in 2035. Only proxy wars in the Pacific.

Completely disappointed with the opfor faction, they look ridiculous, and it's completely unrealistic to assume iran's military will be a super power in the near future. Their gear is on par with the U.S. which is simply not true, and won't be happening anytime soon. I know they made it this way for the sake of people who like to play un modded multiplayer. Because people whined about the opfor and blufor in arma2 being unbalanced, which they are not. I can't wait for something like ace to come along to make the factions proper, and in line with current times. Or at the very least more realistic, I want to play in modern times, not in this made up fantasy world arma3 is set in. They should just model the games after real events, current. Like the 10 year long war we've been fighting, plenty of content there.

Edited by lsp

Completely disappointed with the opfor faction, they look ridiculous, and it's completely unrealistic to assume iran's military will be a super power in the near future. Their gear is on par with the U.S. which is simply not true, and won't be happening anytime soon. I know they made it this way for the sake of people who like to play un modded multiplayer. Because people whined about the opfor and blufor in arma2 being unbalanced, which they are not. I can't wait for something like ace to come along to make the factions proper, and in line with current times. Or at the very least more realistic, I want to play in modern times, not in this made up fantasy world arma3 is set in. They should just model the games after real events, current. Like the 10 year long war we've been fighting, plenty of content there.

1. the ArmAverse does not portray our universe so your point about Iran is sorta mute.

2. They have been creating modern day scenarios for the past 12 years now. How long can you keep someone motivated to do the same basic equipment, vehicles etc.? What would the the Afghan war provide in terms of content and scenarios? Arrowhead pretty much covered it.

IMHO

My view on how the war will play out

I feel like the first 1/4 of the campaign will be NATO showing up to Greece thinking its just another flimsy attempt to take a country like Kuwait and then after losing what forces they had on Altis and being forced to move to Stratis(which puts us to camp Maxwell).

Forcing NATO to get their shit together NATO forms a coalition and wages all out war on the new Iran empire sending in everything from f-35 strike fighters to small spec ops teams(Ben Carry) to weaken defenses such as underwater mines and stuff (this being the main sandbox part of the game). After this i believe it will be a complete beach head assault like D-day and then a straight out blitzkrieg to the heart of Altis ,during this we should a massive clash like another battle of the bulge. Giving that people say Opfor and NATO should be balanced :confused: this part of the campaign should be another sandbox thing such as taking down enemy artillery and air bases. Now that the main airport of Altis is captured and NATO has total air dominance this will be another sandbox type thing like man a uav drone in support of marines cleaning up the rest of Altis and stuff. My main thing i wanted to say is that there is a small chance Iran ,even in the armaverse, will have the enough military power to stop the force of an air campaign 250 f22 raptors and an est. 1000 f-35(a,b&c) strong. When NATO has air superiority the new wave of NATO's predicted unnamed drone army will kick in and....the war will be over in 3-6 weeks.

That was mostly every summed up but i also wanted to talk about if a tank on tank battle happened who would win. First off i don't know why BIS dropped the abrams completely it was predicted to serve until 2040-2050 it also was my favorite tank. :(

Anywho the t-100k or what it was that Opfor are using is GOOD so were not going to see battles like the m1a2 vs t-55. Were going to see ones like t-100 vs merkava 4m (which has the same gun as the m1a2 and around the same armor but like 15mph faster or something like that) so we should see battles be up to the players for who wins.

So according to my opinion we should see everything balanced except jets/planes because i haven't seen anything so far that could stand up to the f-35 but i don't know if the Opfor are using the L-159 i would expect them to use Russian made weaponry but you know its the armaverse anything could happen we could even see cyborg bananas fly on unicorns as the Opfor's air force...it all up to BIS to decide.

So finally we can see arma be up to the players to who will win!! :yay:

NOTE:This is only my view on the situation don't gripe that i think unrealistically just address me if you think differently about somethings.

Sidenote: We should see my Mk.1 tactical flying banana taking its first test flight with in the next few weeks!

here is the concept picture

xRCerkZRdE-10.png

1. the ArmAverse does not portray our universe so your point about Iran is sorta mute.

2. They have been creating modern day scenarios for the past 12 years now. How long can you keep someone motivated to do the same basic equipment, vehicles etc.? What would the the Afghan war provide in terms of content and scenarios? Arrowhead pretty much covered it.

IMHO

Mountain Warfare, which Arrowhead didn't do very well terrain-wise. But it'd have to be Delta Force SF Mountain Warfare, and that'd be it. It'd have to literally be Afghanistan (a much more diverse terrain than Takistan, which didn't do it justice). Would certainly be nice for an addon island. People just have this idea that the future automatically means lasers and stuff. And they just don't actually look into the story to see that it makes sense.

@lsp Iran's Islamic Republic is overthrown by a revolution/coup. People are fed up with the lack of progress I think. So Iran becomes a secular state like Turkey. Sure, the people are still Muslim, but the government undergoes a change. There are smart people in the Middle East, scientists who can engineer more advanced equipment, who can help Iran to progress. I used to be one of those "Iran won't progress that much" kind of people. But, Iran is large. And, in 20 years, if they get rid of their Islamic Republic and if they focus only military training, advancement, and build-up, then they can rise to become a regional military power. Look at Germany following WW1. They rose up, installed Hitler in power, and became once again the military might of Europe. It's certainly possible, especially if in the ArmAverse the Western economy gets worse and priorities shift from military to domestic issues.

In all honesty, the OpFor soldiers remind me of Ghost Recon.

With that out of the way!

I think it'd be interesting, in this storyline, to see how logistics are affected. For instance, shipping through the Suez Canal could possibly be cut off by war, and with the Iranians holding an island in the Med, then that would be a stepping stone to invading Greece, and therefore controlling half of the Med.

Let's say that the Russian Federation is again fighting NATO in the ArmAverse. If the Russians are allied with Iran, then this also allows another opportunity. They can consolidate their forces to push NATO out of the Balkans, and possibly back further.

Just my uninformed two cents.

the russians are likely part of nato at this point or at the very least its allies

the russians are likely part of nato at this point or at the very least its allies

Nope.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

In all honesty, the OpFor soldiers remind me of Ghost Recon.

With that out of the way!

I think it'd be interesting, in this storyline, to see how logistics are affected. For instance, shipping through the Suez Canal could possibly be cut off by war, and with the Iranians holding an island in the Med, then that would be a stepping stone to invading Greece, and therefore controlling half of the Med.

Let's say that the Russian Federation is again fighting NATO in the ArmAverse. If the Russians are allied with Iran, then this also allows another opportunity. They can consolidate their forces to push NATO out of the Balkans, and possibly back further.

Just my uninformed two cents.

They control half of Greece. Iran is supplied by the Russians and the Chinese.

Alright. So then that ups the stakes a bit, therefore the OpFor units would probably be pretty well trained if the invasion was recent.

I would be nice to have a TO&E on this stuff, it'd make it easier.

The resistance ought to be armed with fairly antiquated weapons at the outset of the campaign - antiquated as in 30 year old ex-Hellenic Army M4 carbines or G3s, and then receive more advanced NATO-supplied weaponry as the campaign progresses, the same way that foreign-backed insurgencies tend to be supplied. It'd be a nice callback to the previous ARMA games too.

I don't believe we have seen any of the Iranian boats so far either, so here's hoping that the devs will make a practical-looking version of the "stealth" attack boat that the Iranians were showing off a few years back.