Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Meteor impact in Russia

Meteor fragment hitting the Ural.

Russia’s Urals region has been rocked by a meteorite explosion in the stratosphere. The impact wave damaged several buildings, and blew out thousands of windows amid frigid winter weather. Hundreds are seeking medical attention for minor injuries.

According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers, local newspaper Znak reports quoting a source in the military.

A bright flash was seen in the Chelyabinsk, Tyumen and Sverdlovsk regions, Russia’s Republic of Bashkiria and in northern Kazakhstan.

Over 400 people sought medical attention as a result of the incident, according to the Russian Interior Ministry. No serious injuries have been reported, with most of the injuries caused by broken glass and minor concussions.

At least one piece of the fallen object caused damage on the ground in Chelyabinsk. According to preliminary reports, it crashed into a wall near a zinc factory, disrupting the city's Internet and mobile service.

The Emergency Ministry reported that 20,000 rescue workers are operating in the region. Three aircraft were deployed to survey the area and locate other possible impact locations.

Witnesses said the explosion was so loud that it seemed like an earthquake and thunder had struck at the same time, and that there were huge trails of smoke across the sky. Others reported seeing burning objects fall to earth.

map.jpg

Dozens of videos are popping up on YouTube, and some are incredible.

The trail of smoke in the sky, and in the shock wave—the sonic boom—passes over. It’s loud.

Edited by oxmox

"If you see the flash, it's already too late"©

After this I'd like to see all the MChS senior officials to be thrown to prison. No alarm, no any preparations, nothing. If we will be attacked with missiles (that meteor looked much like it), nothing will be done.

After this I'd like to see all the MChS senior officials to be thrown to prison. No alarm, no any preparations, nothing. If we will be attacked with missiles (that meteor looked much like it), nothing will be done.

You're joking, right?

While the videos are impressive, i'm always concerned by people recording videos while driving.

You're joking, right?

Nope. It was said that this meteor was noted by observing stations. All the info was released post-factum.

Nope. It was said that this meteor was noted by observing stations. All the info was released post-factum.

I hadn't seen that info anywhere. From what I've read so far, it sounds like the meteor came out of nowhere with no time for warnings.

I hadn't seen that info anywhere. From what I've read so far, it sounds like the meteor came out of nowhere with no time for warnings.

Vesti-24 news channel noted that info.

Amazing footage, awful shame injuries had to to be the end result.

@Spooky Lynx

That Meteor wasn't related to the other Asteroid that will pass Earth (2012 DA 14). It might be that this Meteor was a fragment of the asteroid that broke away from the Asteroid but this is just guessing at this time. While 2012 DA 14 passes really close, Scientists have assured that the Asteroid will not hit earth.

Meteors like the impacted one can't be predicted as they are usually too small to be detected, so no pre-warn time. Please get informed next time.

This was for sure only a fragment, a meteor like the DA14 (40-50 meter in size) would be devastating. I just wonder about the unconfirmed info that the airforce did blow up the meteor with a missile salve. Where are the other impacts if they did that.

Added a new video about the Crater.

Edited by oxmox

This was for sure only a fragment, a meteor like the DA14 (40-50 meter in size) would be devastating. I just wonder about the unconfirmed info that the airforce did blow up the meteor with a missile salve. Where are the other impacts if they did that.

Did add a new video about the Crater.

Erm, you should remove that last vid, it's "fake" (well, not really fake but completely unrelated): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell

:EDITH:

Search YT for "door to hell" and you'll find the same vids posted years ago. ;)

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Probably some thought he could make some quick money by selling "exclusive footage" of the crater and this TV station fell on it. :D

:EDITH:

I've read on a swiss newssite that this meteor probably came from the direction of the sun and therefor couldn't be detected. And i doubt that it was shot down, not at those speed those meteors usually travel. But i could be wrong, though.

I did google translate the page and actually the blogger did warn about fake pictures and videos about the Impact Crater. This blog was linked from a famous and big news magazin....my fault, thx. :bounce3:

That is truly amazing footage, but imagine how awesome and terrifying to see it go overhead... jeeez...

Yes,a word of truth ...

Are you serious ?! :D

I did read that scientists estimate the diameter of the Meteor with around 2-4 meters. The most part did explode in the higher atmosphere, thats why you see such a ball of light and the blast wave did reach the surface. Only smaller parts did reach the ground since most got vaporized. There was another impact 80km away at the Chebarkul Lake, they did found a 6 meter wide crater.

Oh c'mon that's like jailing those Italians for not predicting and earthquake.

That Russian link has some amazing footage, still you always have to have a "spoiler" regarding the crater crap, but hey, we are humans, we must milk the moment to the fullest in order to get more hits & sell more bits of old rock from the knackers yard on ebay :)

The sonic boom explosions ... wow ... I had audio up and I crapped myself. I will now be submitting these video's to Lord Jarhead for JSRS 1.6 inclusion :cool:

I guess be thankfull it didn't hit fully populated areas and no one was killed. Quite an event, especially for those residents.