Sign in to follow this  
Patchwork

Are you going to continue working on ToH?

I am just wondering if BIS has any plans to keep working on this game or if they are just going to be focusing on there upcoming releases? There is still no crossfire support and a very limited amount of helicopters.

Hello. It is just my opinion- we are very likely to get everyhing toh has (including helicopter physics) wit arma 3, plus extra content. I know- we bought toh, so we want more, but from my personal point of view; forget toh, give us arma 3 community alpha already;)

We see a long potential life for TKOH, even if currently we don't have the resources to actively develop for it. We do have some plans, and would like to return to it when we can.

Really glad to hear that! I haven't booted up anything other than ToH for the past 6 months now, when I decided to learn to fly on expert. very challenging and rewarding.

Hell, I haven't touched ArmA2 in all that time, and it takes something special to pull me away from that!

I'm with Hassle. This game is incredible. What we need is more talented community members making custom scenarios. I'm following Heli4hire closely. Would love to see a military version with LZ insertion / extraction under fire etc. Chickenhawk kind of stuff. I keep getting these wonderful plans and then sit in front of the editor for a couple of hours before I remember I have no talent :(

I'd say we need at least one proper model for this game. Fictional frames are one of the reasons why sim community is not here (lets not mention a hind thing here). Just look what Fred has done with closed physic structure with "simple" xml mod- and it's just one guy! I can't imagine what'd happen if he finished his htr for toh and more guys from hovercontrol came onboard with their skill. I tried adding toh physics to magnificent blackhawk made by one great modder for arma (and I failed miserably while doing so) and I realised that his freeware work is much better and more advanced than payware alphasim blackhawk made for fsx (3d switches in virtual cockpit are the only thing that stands out in their payware; cockpit funcionality is virtually non existent there). I cannot believe that such potentiall is being wasted here. I can see Arma 3 becoming next gen heli sim (sic!), but I'd love to fly TOH in the meantime;) Just as guys above- I see potential here, It's such a shame it's being wasted so far...

Edited by SamB

The great thing about BI is that they cater so well to community modding. What would be great is if the hard core sim community would get really active in increasing realism. With what sickboy has done with the sixupdater it is now really easy to get widedpread use as long as someone makes good mods that are in demand. It's exciting to see some of the work that is going on, we just need to attract a lot more people with the talent and the interest. I wish I was one of those people.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

And by increasing realism, I'm referring to the same thing Sam is I think - modeling of real helicopters rather than generic helicopter types.

Each HTR release got over 4000 downloads, being a relatively unknown piece of software for fsx published on a single website.

I believe that TKOH & HTR, a product sitting in the middle between the serious simulation and a game, with the possibility to download or buy add ons would meet a good success as it would get the interest of the arma community (serious FPS) and FSX community (serious flight sim) , real pilots (hundreds of pilots use HTR for training) while not being so boring as a serious simulation software. Also a pro version (based on vbs) would have substantial interest (i already got contacted by i.e. british Columbia fire dept for a serious simulation based on HTR, also from flying schools etc...)

Bye Fred

Regarding Arma and TOH community merge- unfortunetally there is no such thing. I predicted it to happen a while ago somewhere here. The problem I see is- Arma guys would have to buy TOH just so they can play with us- helicopter enthusiasts. No one is going to do so! I know its too late and everything, but if BiS had decided to use TOH as payware addon module for arma; meaning You can play on Arma servers usual way with option to use advanced helicopter simulation if You buy TOH it'd be another story. No problem with using Arma ready helicopters mods (it'd still be Arma, so no licence violation), and we'd had thousands of ground troops with ready to play sessions online. Separate game is what it says- even if they did a great job giving us Rearmed, it's still SP, or closed TOH community MP with virtually no mods to play with (like I said it is somehow possible to use TOH physics with Arma helicopters, but first of all it's just inside TOH, and also it's very complicated to write a proper config as addon and to make it work- at least I didn't succeed despite wasting many hours trying). Once again Fred- it's great to have You here!

I am also at a loss why BIS doesnt just rebrand TOH with integrated Rearmed patch as "ArmaPlus" or something.

A litte work and testing to see that most mods are compatible without a hitch and this thing would really sell!

Its like Arma 2.5.

I think that there is a substantial interest in TOH also from the ARMA crowd (I'm one of them) which is just held back by:

a) not enough converted military choppers like the blackhawk

b) flightmodel. The potential is there but not really used.

Seriously, for instance a rudimentary vortex ring effect would be relatively easy to script really and would improve the overall experience so much .

I'm happy there seems to be an serious interest in TOH, which is another hidden gem by bohemia. The first was arma before dayz (ok dont hit me :)

Cheers

Crusader

I have been following TOH since before launch and happily preordered. I can honestly say that Fred's recent involvement has been the most exciting news in TOH since the first thought of a virtual preflight and interaction with the sim world the ARMA engine provides.

It was a little bit sad when Nightstalker and a few of the other Hovercontrol members gave up on the sim because of lack of realism. Fred's involvement hints at the promise of a realistic FM in TOH. Very, VERY, exciting.

I have also been guilty of a lack of faith. I started a 3-d model of a mosquito air that I do hope to finish someday when time allows.

Quiet as it has started, the buzz here now on this forum that Moach and Fred have brought their talents to TOH is steadily growing.