Sign in to follow this  
kroky

POLL: Do you play ArmAII with ACE2 always on?

Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?

• No, I use ACE2 only with missions made for it
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE2 on
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE + ASR_AI on

Quantity of bugs and stability isn't really a matter of opinion, mate. Individual tolerance for it is. And I see ACE fixing their bugs at about fifty times the rate BIS does.

Also, what are other TC mods? Besides zombies and star wars, I mean.

Well atm I'm dabbling with HIP. It's an outstanding conversion mod even in early beta form.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

But, this about ACE not acre, or servers.Yes, this is true, and you should be able to find them.

Well, it is to do with acre, since most of the ace servers worth playing on, run acre along with ace... which I referred to in my previous post :)

Edited by Iceman77

It still surprises me how many people think, because you don’t use ace anymore, or indeed may never have, you must be playing the game in vanilla form.

I run lots of mod’s, I ran a lot with ace, before ace, and run a lot still, after finishing with ace. The game-play can be more immersive without ace, with the right mod’s or parts from mod’s. Once the WIP mod/addon CMS is completed, the medical side will be there too..

I like HIP as a mod that covers the period in time, also others. But sometimes there is too much emphasis on particular mods/addons within these, DAC and ASR_ai, which I don’t use, although DAC I dabbled in a good while back.

I prefer some of the older mod’s like the gl series, if I can call it that. GL3 possibly the best of them, but 4 is near to it, also zeus, slx and many more, some as old some not so old, ST movement, JTD, bn tracer, blakes a few, Carglass, CAM, dfs a few, PvP tweaks quite a few, Proper tweaks a few, mao, smk now & again, veg replacements, Tracers war, war fx particles etc, etc. Thats without, sound, other environment, factions, vehicles, aircraft, islands, weapons etc. All these mods/addons add to the game, I use some for some things and others for, well you get the idea.. Not always using the complete mod/addon, but in many cases just parts from them.

Its not all about ace, ace combines a lot of features, but many of those features plus much more, are available elsewhere, some compatible with ace, some not. Its experimenting with lots of things that tweaks and tunes your game. Some players think, well I’ll stop at ace, it has what I need, well ace is a great mod, no doubt about that. But I, like many others, like to see what’s out there, always have.

That’s where this poll fails really, not wide enough or should have stuck with just one ‘Ace’, with or without, or bit of both.

Don't need anyone telling me some are no longer supported or even used, its a narrow view, if it works, it works. The same as mixing parts from mods, if it works and works really well, then you just got to go with it, if you want a type of game that suits what your looking for..;)

@ChrisB: Most people just want to have "the ultimate mod of their own dreams" via single-clicky and of course no buggy in it. ACE is trying to be somewhat realistic but like any full conversion mod it's not made to be compatible with everything. Tearing mods, addons appart is something you may do for your very own (private - not public) satisfaction but releasing such wild mixes without permission is a big no-go. What is somehow working for you doesn't automatically mean that it will work for all.... and quite frankly I do understand that it pisses people off if they see their work beeing ripped apart or actively promoted to do it - with a selfish view a la 'if it works, it works.'

Its not all about ace

Exactly, but some think ace is all there is & don't even realize other mods. But yet, want to argue & criticize others opinions about ace. Then ask "what other mods are there?". But yet ace is the most bestest eva!!! ROFL. See what I did there?!

On a serious note, I don't think anyone disputes how good ace is. But sometimes, well, you know the rest!

Edited by Iceman77

I can't really go back to vanilla Arma (not trying to sound elitist or anything I just love all that ACE brings to the game).

Yeah I know all about six updater and pws, I've used both of them extensively. I've spent plenty of hours running ace, as ace is all I used to play with. 30 minutes isn't over dramatic at all. First, lets keep SU updated by reinstalling nearly every time you use the program.Then let's hope the installation didn't get corrupted, or that the program isn't presenting any problems since said update. Then lets hope that with the newly updated ace (which used to get updated nearly every day), your config isn't "out of date".

Iceman I feel your pain however it's been a while since this has been the case. Except for the last few weeks (when CBA got updated) there has not been a new SU version in months. ACE is in hibernation until Arma3 and only releasing small fixes, etc. I think the last ACE update was Dec 2012 or maybe early January?

For me it's worth that hassle to play... IMHO of course :p

Exactly, but some think ace is all there is & don't even realize other mods. But yet, want to argue & criticize others opinions about ace.
I don't know how you know what people realize. I would think most people don't get arma and start playing with ace, this isn't even recommended. I would think the opposite, most people who use ace, at least dabbled with other mods, and now enjoy using one, and not searching for the right combo. I played for two years before playing with ACE. During that time i used many other mods, and loved many of them.

Seems most people here are pretty mature, and are not really criticizing, just talking about their opinions after putting in time with the subject. Not just yelling ACE rocks!!! That's everywhere, with the raise of social media, but i don't see it here. I don't even know what ROFL means and i don't care to.

Maybe not the right thread, but i like hearing what people don't like about ace. That's a great subject. But, there's got to be more than ACRE (not ace) pains me, and public severs are a pain, and updates and the sixupdater are a hassle, cause the that's not the ace mod. Although, i get it, everyone hates that stuff.

I don't know how you know what people realize. I would think most people don't get arma and start playing with ace, this isn't even recommended. I would think the opposite, most people who use ace, at least dabbled with other mods, and now enjoy using one, and not searching for the right combo. I played for two years before playing with ACE. During that time i used many other mods, and loved many of them.

Seems most people here are pretty mature, and are not really criticizing, just talking about their opinions after putting in time with the subject. Not just yelling ACE rocks!!! That's everywhere, with the raise of social media, but i don't see it here. I don't even know what ROFL means and i don't care to.

Maybe not the right thread, but i like hearing what people don't like about ace. That's a great subject. But, there's got to be more than ACRE (not ace) pains me, and public severs are a pain, and updates and the sixupdater are a hassle, cause the that's not the ace mod. Although, i get it, everyone hates that stuff.

haha, you sneaky snake. You know what rofl means, don't play the almighy, modest, humble routine :)... I'm jk!! (that means just kidding). On a serious note, the thread is about if you play the ace mod or not (or in essence it's supposed to be). So, people are stating if they do or don't, and then providing the reasons why. And I provided my reasons why. Ofcourse, it's my own fault, I should have kept those to myself, as I was instantly met with the "ace mod & everything that goes with it isn't a pain, it's smooth as butter" routine, from all of the fanboys.

Just saying, I've logged hundreds of hours playing the mod. After awhile, you (me!!!) get tired of the baggage that comes with it :). Now, who's going to tell me what my own opinions are? No one. Those are my opinions.:)'

Also, it's easy to gauge what people realize, when they ask something along the lines of; "what other conversion mods are there"? So is it fair for me to assume they don't realize what other conversion mods exist? :rolleyes:

Edited by Iceman77

There are some very interesting points in this discussion. I can feel both parties since I play OFP/ArmA/ArmAII since almost day one with almost trying all mods which got out.

This poll has the point that it would be interesting as how far ACE2 has become standard for how many players. And while it's not perfect set, it still gives a picture how important ACE2 has become for players.

- as for the arguments from Iceman: I can understand your point and it is an argument, only that ACE2 has settled down and now the updates are very slow

- as for the arguments from ChrisB: I come exactly from the side as you are now, I was mixing mods around a lot, but the problem is exactly what Iceman told, a lot of work to get it to work with all the mod combos.

Oh man I could write here really a lot, but it would be too much. What I love most about ACE2, is that a team finally standardized THE MOD for the entire community. I remember (and a lot of veterans will) the BAS was trying to standardize mods (make them compatible as good as it gets) for many years. Back then BAS was kinda standard for OFP. Then WGL (War Games League) came up with their own idea of realism into the OFP/ArmA universe but it was not compatible with a lot of mods. Then Solus (SLX) came up with THE MOD which altered the gameplay in a incredible way. Then GL3 came up and finally SNKMAN came up with GL4 which was an incredible one man show (work) like Solus was. Then ZEUS came up with an incredible AI mod. We can go on with all of that like JTD, Krokzky, UPSMON and so on and so on.

BUT ACE2 made a platform that is mostly compatible with other mods and other mods build around ACE2. Like ASR_AI, ASR appendix, JTK_SIL, HELI_EXTRAS. That is something the OFP/ArmA community was striving to achieve for years. I personally think the ACE2 team (considering the workflow, professionalism of how matters are handled) got the mod "industrialized". It's like a big well-oiled machine which is really amazingly good working. I'm personally absolutely happy how the ACE2 team got a "big mod for almost everyone" working. It's not like there is another mod like ACE2, it's more like: there is THE MOD (ACE2) and there are a lot of other little mods that can happily coexist with ACE2.

I think only the old OFP/ArmA veterans can really understand what I what to tell here. Simply put: We have been waiting for this kind of standardization of mods for about 10 years. And now ACE2 achieved what hundred of mods could not in the last 12 years.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, as I've aswell been playing for sometime. Been playing the series since ~02. CWC, redhammer, resistance etc etc. Sure, like I've said many times, ace is a good mod. It's just that, ace + all of the baggage in the past, has left a bad taste with some people. Just like this cba bs the other day... things like this are a constant with this mod. You get home from working, want to play, and all of the sudden, some things are incompatible. You have to fix the issue(s) via updates etc. Which has been my point/opinion this entire thread. Sometimes... you don't want to deal with the bs, you just want to play. But, I guess some don't get that? or some don't realize, that not everyone has the extra time to fuck around fixing these constants?

As far as ace being "the mod", and that there is ace and then there are only little mods beside it, you're delusional (sorry, if that sounds so harsh). Have you even played with the HIP mod or any of the other conversions?

In any case, I'm done here. I've stated and defended my own opinions :p

Regards,

***1cem@n***

Edited by Iceman77

The converse of all this is that the people who play with ACE and/or "ASR_AI" (whatever the hell that is) always enabled only play missions designed to work with those mods, mainly in MP, and DO NOT (or no longer) play BIS content, which is not designed to work with mods (some mods will work, but more often than not create horrible problems). 95% of my interest in A2, and the reason most new customers buy BIS games, is BIS content, the weapons, terrains, missions, and campaigns (CWR2 is BIS content, and I guess DayZ), including the mission editor. ACE and many other mods are simply fantastic, but are an unnecessary hassle for many, even using SU, which is in itself a hassle. If ACE2 has "become the standard" (among whom? - I don't believe it) then BIS content is no longer being played, which would be a shame. It is amazing that BIS has allowed their games to be extendable via mods, which opens whole new worlds and new customers, but I wish they would focus more on content building, e.g. campaigns with complex story lines and character development (like Resistance/CWC/Harvest Red/PMC) and cool SP missions. My bottom line is that gameplay using vanilla BIS content just KICKS ASS, and mods are just icing on the cake which sometimes you want to scrape off to get at the cake.

Only when mission required voted, but way more than just for missions although not every single time.

The converse of all this is that the people who play with ACE and/or "ASR_AI" (whatever the hell that is) always enabled only play missions designed to work with those mods, mainly in MP, and DO NOT (or no longer) play BIS content, which is not designed to work with mods (some mods will work, but more often than not create horrible problems). 95% of my interest in A2, and the reason most new customers buy BIS games, is BIS content, the weapons, terrains, missions, and campaigns (CWR2 is BIS content, and I guess DayZ), including the mission editor. ACE and many other mods are simply fantastic, but are an unnecessary hassle for many, even using SU, which is in itself a hassle. If ACE2 has "become the standard" (among whom? - I don't believe it) then BIS content is no longer being played, which would be a shame. It is amazing that BIS has allowed their games to be extendable via mods, which opens whole new worlds and new customers, but I wish they would focus more on content building, e.g. campaigns with complex story lines and character development (like Resistance/CWC/Harvest Red/PMC) and cool SP missions. My bottom line is that gameplay using vanilla BIS content just KICKS ASS, and mods are just icing on the cake which sometimes you want to scrape off to get at the cake.

I´m currently replaying Harvest Red and many more Missions. Everything with ACE, ASR and TPWAC enabled. Everything looks fine and feels much better than vanilla.

You have 1428 posts. How have you not noticed the overwhelming consensus on the forums that BIS' mission content largely sucks? You can blow through it in a few hours, and with the exception of Chernarus, their maps have nothing to offer that modders have not matched and exceeded.

If ArmA sales rely on the content that ships with the games and nothing more, BIS is doomed. And this is obviously the sentiment of the forum and everyone I've ever played with.

ACE isn't icing, it's a whole new kind of desert from the same ingredients that makes you realize you've been eating stale twinkies.

ACE2 is a must have for me. raises the level of realism to what arma2 could have been. Still more like breathing control, figure 8 weapon weavuing that needs implementing, but only bis can do that. here's hoping for arma3.

You have 1428 posts. How have you not noticed the overwhelming consensus on the forums that BIS' mission content largely sucks? You can blow through it in a few hours, and with the exception of Chernarus, their maps have nothing to offer that modders have not matched and exceeded.

If ArmA sales rely on the content that ships with the games and nothing more, BIS is doomed. And this is obviously the sentiment of the forum and everyone I've ever played with.

ACE isn't icing, it's a whole new kind of desert from the same ingredients that makes you realize you've been eating stale twinkies.

Yep - the simple and unfortunate truth is that past OFP BIS games are little more than mod platforms. This is of course not to say like they aren't something great - because they allow for mods like ACE to exist in the first place.

But there's a reason why CWR2 is being made and why nobody cares about ArmA1 campaigns.

I´m currently replaying Harvest Red and many more Missions. Everything with ACE, ASR and TPWAC enabled. Everything looks fine and feels much better than vanilla.

That is great that the mods cause no issues with HR! Whole new experience there. I remember lots of issues just playing vanilla, but I eventually got through it and liked it (overall). Perhaps I should replay with those mods.... But the list of threads of people having mod-related issues when playing official BIS missions is very long, to say the least.

Maturin: Blowing through all BIS content in "a few hours"? Come on. Freedom Fighters alone will take you 8 hours before you realize the mission is bugged! ;) But other than that bugged mission, A2CO+DLC+CWR2 have kept me happily busy for years, and I don't get a thrill out of playing content which "sucks". As I focus mainly on SP, BIS content is more important to me, and I like it, and want BIS to keep developing it and not devolve completely into a mod support system. BIS mod support isn't going away, and will only grow stronger with A3, but I hope their mission/campaign content doesn't go away, either, but deepens, flowers, and becomes richer in story, complexity, and character development (all of which appear to be true with the glimpses of the A3 campaign that have been released).

Having played all A2 CO + DLC and CWR2 content, despite issues, there is a certain BIS feel in them that I love. But someone well connected to BIS once told me that when CodeMasters and BIS split, the creative campaign builders went with CM, leaving the "tech" guys with BIS. Which is why there hasn't been a Resistance-like campaign in like ~10 years, and more focus on the game as a mod platform. Wait until you play CWR2 Resistance campaign being converted to A2 by SaOK. It blew my socks right off, but at the same time I could see what A2 (and A1) campaigns could have been like, but weren't.

Maturin: Blowing through all BIS content in "a few hours"? Come on. Freedom Fighters alone will take you 8 hours before you realize the mission is bugged!

I rest my case. 8 hours of content ruined by bugs counts in the negative for game time. And count Bear Rising on the bugged, useless warfare side while you're at it.

But other than that bugged mission, A2CO+DLC+CWR2 have kept me happily busy for years, and I don't get a thrill out of playing content which "sucks". As I focus mainly on SP, BIS content is more important to me, and I like it, and want BIS to keep developing it and not devolve completely into a mod support system.

I played SP too, for years even. And didn't install mods until ACE came out. But that's because of the editor. If you actually amuse yourself by playing nothing but the same fifteen missions ad nauseum, I lift my hat to you.

I feel sorry for you that you have spent so much time playing content you hate. What a bummer for you. Are you saying that A2CO+DLC+CWR2+ToH contain only 15 missions and that I have never heard of the editor or played user missions? Sounds like you haven't had enough coffee this morning.

And Bear Rising is not completely bugged, I have completed it twice, and had lots of fun, although you can get stuck.

fd2f46219671009.jpg

Well no, I didn't spend that much time playing. Like everyone else, I breezed through the campaigns, played the handful of scenarios that were good, and then moved on the actual ArmA, which is editor, MP and mods.

I played Harvest Red when it was utterly broken at multiple points for 90% of people, by the way. Wasn't that delightful? Bear Rising isn't always bugged, but over the years it has crapped out on me three times.

And I'll leave it to you actually count the individual scenarios that ship with A2 and OA. I don't buy paid DLC, CRW2 IS is a mod (and anyways, everyone knows that OFP missions were golden), and where the fuck do you get off adding TOH in there?

Yep - the simple and unfortunate truth is that past OFP BIS games are little more than mod platforms.

Whoa whoa!! :D. CWC, Redhammer and Resistance campaigns were very well done. Extremely well done infact. Arma1 campaign sucked. Arma2 campaign(s)... well, I didn't play past the first few missions, as they felt like A1 campaign all over again.

Bear Rising is a fun Mission. If I only knew how to disable fast travel for the AI, or everyone....

And replaying it now using latest beta with newly improved T-90 Refleks lethality and thermal optics is highly recommended! :D

This is what you will get now:

MC8e5KT8IDg

And check this, a taste of Resistance converted to A2 by SaOK:

WwL_Zrh42PM