Sign in to follow this  
edmoore

Torque is red-lining when full throttle applied; am I doing something wrong?

Hi there,

I'm having a really annoying issue that I noticed first on the Best Laid Plans mission (the first time you are given the light helicopter in the Ion livery) but it seems to be happening even in free flight situations.

Upon applying full throttle during the startup procedure (whether I do it manually or with the auto startup option) on the light helicopter, the torque immediately goes to max and the helicopter starts taking damage.

If I rapidly lift off it settles down to a typical amount but by that point the damage has already been done. On that mission you have to shutdown, get briefed and then when I restart the aircraft it does the same thing again with the torque, resulting in a "the aircraft is too damaged" warning.

I have tried a Free Flight with the medium helicopter and it also seems to get a very high torque reading on application of full throttle, although not quite up to the red line. Again, if I lift off swiftly it goes to a typical value.

I thought this might be something to do with the calibration of my controls (Logitech G940) but I've painstakingly gone through recalibration and checking all the control assignments to see if there was some random trim wheel applying a weird input. I can't seem to find anything.

I also thought there might be some pre-existing damage to this aircraft. In the 'heliport' mission before Best Laid Plans starts if I go to the helicopters menu I can see there is a small amount of damage on the Ion light helicopter. However if I repair it there there's no way of checking if it's still repaired as when the mission starts it won't let me do the look around checklist (i.e. if I hold down Alt I don't get the floating symbols over each component).

Hope someone can shed some light on this issue as it's pretty much preventing me from playing the game.

Ed

If you are referring to the start-up procedure, you are doing it too fast. You should push the starter until the rotor reaches 12% rpm. Then you roll the throttle to idle and wait to the rotor rpm stabilizes at around 65%. When it does, you should turn off the starter and wait for roughly 15 seconds.

First then can you apply full throttle and wait for the rpm to settle at 100%.

During shut-down you should roll the throttle to idle and wait 15 seconds after the rpm reaches 65%. Then you close the throttle. I haven't tried to start the engine up again after shut-down in awhile, but I seem to remember that you have to wait a little for the oil temperature to go below a certain level before start-up again.

If you are referring to damage being done while raising the collective to full while in flight, you're not doing anything wrong other than raising the collective to the stop. If you exaggerate the amount of collective, either by raising it to the stop or by applying it too fast/violently, you will give the engine a hard time keeping up the rotor rpm due to the enourmous stress on the blades. Thus you will lose rpm and the engine will over-torque in an effort to keep the chopper flying.

This happens in real-life too, so there's nothing wrong with the set-up in your controls based on that.