Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Things to do before ARMA III is released!

Ok, so ARMA III's release is something we all are waiting for... And I bet a few other besides me is really keen on some news. At the same time, we understand that there is no use in nagging BI on the forums, so instead I suggest a thread with suggestions on how to shorten the wait!

So, how can we ensure that time passes with as much ease as possible, so that the wait doesn't feel as long? Preferably, I hope people suggest things here for ARMA II that is great, but that they think people haven't tried yet. With the wast amount of mods around, there has to be a few that people have missed that are really good. In other words, community standard mods like ACRE, ACE and so on doesn't really belong here. I'm looking for the hidden gems. Campaigns, mods and missions are all welcome... Or even other games that might help kill time.

My suggestion is project reality. I do know that it's not unknown in the community, but hasn't been too popular either. I think this is a shame, as it is very fun to play. It's one of the few game modes I've found where PvP feels fluent, along with Wasteland.

Looking forward for your replies!

For me, DAC is a must :) hopefully the code can be easily ported/used with little effort.

For me, DAC is a must :) hopefully the code can be easily ported/used with little effort.

Excuse me for being stupid, but what is DAC? :P

Is this Spam or just bored of waiting on A3 and not knowing what else to do? There are many threads/topics about A2OA content/projects and other games (offtopic)....

Excuse me for being stupid, but what is DAC? :P

DAC = Dynamic AI Creator :)

Essential in generating AI behaviors that are different every time. Use it as background "noise" for missions that you might like to replay over & over, and have different outcomes.

Things to do? Spam the wishlist thread.

Is this Spam or just bored of waiting on A3 and not knowing what else to do? There are many threads/topics about A2OA content/projects and other games (offtopic)....

I'm going with D, all of the above. This year arma 3 will be an e3 veteran (If its not out by then this will be 3 years in a row). Oh well, I still have high hopes of arma 3 being amazing. Even though my only evidence is the 2 year old screenshots we've all been clinging to.

Things to do in the meantime? I say stop wasting our time... We don't know how long it will take, so might as well mod arma 2 until its last day. There are still plenty of ideas that could be followed through with. Might as well keep working until we finally see that day where the game we've all been waiting for finally gets released :)

Edited by Horner

this really is the strangest forum at times, where people get looked down on for talking and sharing thoughts and opinions.

spam is more like stuff like "in before the lock" which is what a few of the posts essentially mean above.

ON topic, I agree on PR, but sometimes hard to find populated games. Most seem to be on wasteland, and I really didnt like it much

Things to do before ARMA III is released!

get a life...?

this really is the strangest forum at times, where people get looked down on for talking and sharing thoughts and opinions.

Its basically because we have seen the same suggestions over and over since.. Well since OFP actually, everyone who has been here a while has discussed it to death already, the developers have seen it by now and noone cares anymore.

EDIT: Also, because a lot of people tend to suggest whatever pops into their head that very moment, or whatever was on TV last night. Which sometimes leads to suggestions that are so out of scope of the project that i wonder if they are trolling.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Hm, so I am back.

I can try to explain why I did post this thing. Alot of people tend to come to this forum section looking for news. Some of them request news, and obviously, people are tired of that. And it results in yet another locked thread.

People are impatient, so this was an attemt to make a thread where people could post things about ARMA II (or other games for that matter) that most people haven't discovered yet. There is so much content and so many mods that it's easy to drown in everything, that's why I thought a thread like this might help with that. It might ease the wait for ARMA III, while at the same time promoting some mods or missions that so far have been under appriciated.

So, instead of constantly nagging about the release of ARMA III, people can find something new and interesting to try out in the meantime. I miss a way to sort out whats worth my time and whats not. Hearing peoples experience with things then might be helpful for people.

I am genuinly interrested in finding something new in ARMA II that is worth playing. I know it's out there, but might be hard to find. I posted it here to give impatient people something to do while waiting.

If the mods find it innappropriate, then so be it. In the meantime, treat eachother like grown up people.

HAC (AI commander) is something that should be in vanilla. High Command shouldn't be player only.

HAC is o.k. although I don’t use it much.

DAC I used a long time back, but stopped using it as it spawns ai with standard BIS behaviour, i.e. not the behaviour of your modded ai, someone may be able to correct me if its changed, but as said, I haven’t used it for a good while..

Anyway, I just like taking a look at mod’s that I may not use in game, there are plenty of unusual ones out there, aircraft, vehicles, etc. Interesting just looking at what mod/addon makers have made.

Plus of course collecting terrains/islands, that’s a pastime I have.

When A3 comes out I will still be playing A2, it will take time for the game to settle in, A3 will be the pastime then, until it has settled in, plus A2 has legs for a few years more..:)

get a life...?

Never, I must spend every waking moment finding my love! Err, I mean, game. Nevermind...

Who's getting looked down on?

DAC I used a long time back, but stopped using it as it spawns ai with standard BIS behaviour, i.e. not the behaviour of your modded ai, someone may be able to correct me if its changed, but as said, I haven’t used it for a good while..

I use ASRAI and TPWCAS and they seem to use that OK.

I use ASRAI and TPWCAS and they seem to use that OK.

Umm, that’s interesting, perhaps its changed. Although I don’t use ASR AI, but I do use TPWC suppress. As said, last time I used DAC the ai spawned were, well ‘black & white’ in behavioural terms. They just didn’t take on any of the AI improvements I use, looked to be stock behaviour, which was a shame. Still I think I read in the readme at the time, that other ai mod’s may not work correctly.

May look at it again, perhaps..

Hell in the Pacific 0.5 beta is available on Play WithSIX and Armaholic, really brilliant. They collaborated with Invasion 1944 for melee system, they also got for example, whistles, or suicide with grenade. There are functional aircraft carriers with hangars to be loaded with aircraft, though that's still buggy. Also you can load tanks onto LCMs and dock those LCMs on transports to be used on a makeshift Tarawa or whatever. It's really cool, they even have Amtraks/LVTs (the early amphibious tracked vehicles which lead to the AAV). Not interested in island hopping? Currently there's Burma as an island for missions, Kohima that is, and there's Indian troops and Commonwealth soldiers for that, Spitfires and Vickers about.

Umm, that’s interesting, perhaps its changed. Although I don’t use ASR AI, but I do use TPWC suppress. As said, last time I used DAC the ai spawned were, well ‘black & white’ in behavioural terms. They just didn’t take on any of the AI improvements I use, looked to be stock behaviour, which was a shame. Still I think I read in the readme at the time, that other ai mod’s may not work correctly.

May look at it again, perhaps..

If the AI addon works by default (so without input from the mission editor, basically, if it comes in .pbo form) then it works in DAC by default. If it needs mission editor input (like you need to start the script in their init or whatever) then you need to do this from within DAC, which is also possible.

Wastelands is a great game. I thought there was no chance of good gametypes becoming popular post Dayz, was great when this blew up!

A good thing to pass time would be to mod Arma3! I read somewhere a while ago that the alpha/beta of A3 would have full/partial mod support, and that the mods would be compatible with the full release?

Dont know if its for certain, but would be awesome to have things like wastelands already ready to play on release of Arma3 due to alpha mod support :)

get a job so when arma 3 comes out you have all the money you need to build a monster PC to get 20 fps on Arma 3!

get a job so when arma 3 comes out you have all the money you need to build a monster PC to get 20 fps on Arma 3!

This.

Im saving my money so I hope i'll get a decent PC before christmas 2014 to play it even around 21-22 FPS ;)

Play planetside 2

^^ This. It really helps lower your expectations about lag-free multiplayer and cheat prevention. :D

^^ This. It really helps lower your expectations about lag-free multiplayer and cheat prevention. :D

Lol Yes! :D