Sign in to follow this  
thenorwood

Hackers

First off, thanks for a brilliant series of games - i played flashpoint to death and beyond, didn't play so much Arma, am now playing Arma 2 to death and beyond.

I run my own server, and like many servers recently have had an enormous influx of hackers who come in, grief a game to destruction thats been running happily for hours and then f*** off again laughing.

Now, this is a plague that affects all computer games these days and in general i've come to accept it as an annoyance that is largely unavoidable. The reason i feel compelled to bring it up (as no doubt others have recently) is the sheer number of hack attacks recently - despite using all the security methods mentioned on these forums and others, keeping the game patched up to date and running battleye, it has reached a point where every single round was hacked and destroyed by one or other of these *lots of nasty censored words* script kiddies. I have managed to severely reduce the number of hacks recently by kicking anybody who stays too long in the lobby, but this requires constant monitoring and little time for any actual gameplay for myself.

Obviously, i would like to know of any other means of securing my server that the community knows about, and would also like to know if BIS has anything in the works that could help the situation?

One thing that helped considerably in other games i have adminned was punkbuster - it's dubious cheat detection qualities aside, the use of screenshots was immensely useful in catching hackers retrospectively - perhaps something similar could be made for Arma 2 to run alongside battleye?

Yes, V2.

Believe me I've scoured the net looking for solutions and setting the sig check was one of the first things i did, along with renaming and moving server config files and various other things.

Hi,

i totally feel with you, its a shame that people enjoy destroying the game for others.

If your playerbase is big enough, you could whitelist well-known players and lock the rest of your players out. New players - most of them come by recommendation of friends - would need to apply to be whitelisted and it is most likely a lot of administrative work but for now i dont see any way hackers can be dealt with 100 %.

Good luck and many happy hours with your server!

Take the time to properly learn how to admin/use BE tools. Forget about playing the game, admining is like a job. Unless you don't mind hackers.

I've admined various games over the years, including arma 2 for a couple of years, so i know the nature of the job. The issue is the tools, they are vague at best. I haven't tried BEC yet, is it a worthwhile addition?

I've admined various games over the years, including arma 2 for a couple of years, so i know the nature of the job. The issue is the tools, they are vague at best. I haven't tried BEC yet, is it a worthwhile addition?

I don't have too much experience with BattlEye Extended Controls, however I'm pretty certain that it's possible to configure the tool to automatically kick people who idle in the lobby - which should be of assistance to you. :)

Yes the tools are very effective if used properly. Which, by all of the "worthless BE" complaints/threads it seems clear & also rare that "admins" never/ever actually take the time to learn how to use BE utility. They expect that it will automatically do everything for them. While it does do some at default, it can be much more powerful & effective.

Yes the tools are very effective if used properly. Which, by all of the "worthless BE" complaints/threads it seems clear & also rare that "admins" never/ever actually take the time to learn how to use BE utility. They expect that it will automatically do everything for them. While it does do some at default, it can be much more powerful & effective.

Ok Iceman77,

I'm a veteran at being a server admin. However this is the first game I have seen were there was very little Admin help. Most games have a community developing anti cheats from server owners/Admin , and those server guys keep what they are working on private and only seen by other server admin that are verified. I haven't seen that here at all. Sure I can spend days on end looking at 6 month old trends and try to figure out how to stop all the dam script junkies out there. When the coders can log in to this site and see what you guys are trying to do to stop them they have already figured out how to bypass anything u guys can do. So far this week alone our server has been over ran by hackers. Hell they can even kick the server admins out of the server. I would love to know how the hell to stop them from doing that. Sorry if I'm coming across as a smart @ss. Really not my intent but I left other games because of this stuff and I really enjoy playing Arma.

Edited by dknight903

I have some of that running but how do U set up a script to stop stuff if u dont know what all to add to it? Is there a list?

ok thats cool. Will this work on any arma server and were would I put these files in? Also is there a way I can do a live stream of log files?

these filters are for DayZ mod ... you will need adopt / create own variant for the mod / missions You use ... hence why it's Proof Of Concept