Sign in to follow this  
slatts

The boozer!

My first post and its about beer, typical.

O hara's are making a range of really good Irish beers, stouts & lagers. The Curim German style beer is my favourite. Its got that wheat taste but more smooth with a lager bite. Highly recommended.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Curim+2.jpg

And a pic as I couldn't post it in my first post.

Tried two Wells brews last night.

The first being "Banana Bread Beer". It's an interesting taste, at first it tastes normal but then you get a subtle taste of bananas. Vol. is 5.2% and it's not too heavy. Myself I probably wouldn't drink it all night but it's a nice change for a light nights drinking.

The 2nd being "Double Chocolate Stout". Avoid.

Yea, it's okay but I prefer "Spitfire" and "Master Brew" out of the three, widely sold ales that Shepherd's Neame (the brewery that make "Bishop's Finger") do.

I agree with Slatt's advice to avoid chocolate stout; any of them.

Yea, it's okay but I prefer "Spitfire" and "Master Brew" out of the three, widely sold ales that Shepherd's Neame (the brewery that make "Bishop's Finger") do.

I agree with Slatt's advice to avoid chocolate stout; any of them.

Thanks. I saw Spitifire in the local stores, I'll pick it up.

BTW, for you draft loevers, try König Ludwig Draft. Best draft I had in awhile.

Does it hurt ? :lookaround:

Not really. He was courteous enough to get me drunk on the communal wine beforehand. :dancehead: ... :868:

Picked up 8x440 ml Spitfire at B&M tonight for £5.99, not a bad beer, a bit hoppy, spicey and a little bitter. Not bad overall.

Banana beer, love the stuff!

Picked up 8x440 ml Spitfire at B&M tonight for £5.99, not a bad beer, a bit hoppy, spicey and a little bitter. Not bad overall.

Yeah, I tried Spitfire over the weekend and it was ok I guess. The hops kicked in strong at the beginning accompanied by something else I could put my tongue on. I found it more enjoyable after letting it breathe for a while (2-3 hours)

I've also tried Hobgoblin. I actually enjoyed it, the chocolate was just faint enough to give it a pleasant aftertaste and I think :confused: I also felt the caramel. It actually felt lighter then Spitfire.

Any weissbier to recommend, guys?

Leffe, Blanch de Namur, Ludwig Konig(draft).

Yeah, Hobgoblin comes in two versions, one has a higher alcohol content (5.9 or something similar), then there is also King Goblin (haven't tried that one yet.) To me Hobgoblin tastes like a more flavourful version of Old Speckled Hen.

Has anyone tried Laphroaig 10yo?

How about Glenfiddich 12yo?

On that note can you recommend a personal fav(if you are a spirits fan)? I want to pick up something special for new years eve.

On that note can you recommend a personal fav(if you are a spirits fan)? I want to pick up something special for new years eve.

Both, but i prefer the Glen, cheapest single malt wiskey in a bar. The 18yo is a bit more...oakie, too much for my taste. Works dry. macallan is different thing though ;)

Depends on which way your tastes vary. On the Whiskey front (or Scotch) is Lagavulin . I tried Gammeldansk a few years ago and really enjoyed it (think Jägermeister, but with more of an herby taste.)

I had like an 18 or 20 year old Glenfiddich and it was ok (I'm not much of a Whiskey person though)

Well, I went with an Arran single malt 10 yo as a intermediary until new years eve. Sweet honey touch with a medium strong oak and subtle smoky finish. Did not really feel the "citrus" part most people detect.

I chose it because the package also came with a pare of glencairn style tasting glasses. Definitely a step up from the blends I drank in the past. Next stop, something peaty :D

Finally tried some Smithwicks Winter Spirit and it's quite a nice change up from you regular ale. I'd give it a 7/10. Nice taste, nothing bad but nothing overly amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/xmD5Ubn.jpg (217 kB)

My recent brews.

Koniec Swiata by Pinta, Poland. Sahti traditional brewing style from Finland! Such an unusual and surprising beer! [craft]

Baltic Porter by Lwowek, Poland. [regional]

Bombina Blues by Ursa Maior, Poland. Robust Porter. [craft]

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Eiche Doppelbock, Germany (King Bock!!!)

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urboc, Germany

I'm not big fan of bocks, I don't like them because I have never drank a decent bock! Brews from Schlenkerla have blown me away and shown how a bock beer should taste like. With distinct but delicate smokiness beers from Schlenkerla are the kings of their style! Definitely a must.

Polish craft beers are pretty hard to get abroad, but they are worthy! If you're in Poland don't drink lager pissers and it's really funny for me when tourists debate over a big company pisser on how good Polish beer is. Anything from medium-regional brewery is drinkable, but they mostly focus on lager interpretations with some less or more successful attempts on top fermentation ales. Craft brews are at their best, the beer revolution is definitely here. There are many IPA's an hoppy beer's to choose from! Most recognizable Polish crafts are Pinta, Alebrowar. You will find them in multitaps in larger cities and better equipped stores.

Edited by Sudayev

http://www.discounter-preisvergleich.de/bilder/produkte/1814/1814_2011-10-27-19-23-02.jpg

Available in Austria and Germany, this is some sort of half-cheap discount window cleaner called Old Keeper. Many people seem to dislike it, but I've come to hold it in high regard as my favorite, bested by only Johnnie Walker. The taste is rather strong, but not with a distracting individual flavor like Jack Daniels or the general obnoxiousness of Captain Morgan (who is, by the way, not proven to be a real captain at all.) Many people seem to dislike it - maybe because it tempts the drinker with a sweetly smell and then attacks them with a bitter taste, maybe even because of the cleaning-product like side effects - for me, those are only more reasons to continue buying this one. And because it's cheap. On new year, while sitting in a dark room and planning OFP mods, I decided to try cutting a few pieces of ginger root into my scotch glass and the taste was remarkably interesting. I might have a new business idea there, or maybe just a drinking idea. In the end it doesn't matter; all that matters is the alcohol.

I know it may sound a little cliché from me, but nobody is drinking wine out there :803: ?

I know it may sound a little cliché from me, but nobody is drinking wine out there :803: ?

I like a glass of wine, but normally have it with a meal. If not with a meal, im usually on Cider or Larger :)

Nah I'm not old enough and/or in a relationship to enjoy wine :p

They drink 'whine' on these forums don't they?

I drink more wine, cava, prosecco and champaign than beer. Try a Pinot Noir - still the king of reds imho. I would also stick my neck out and say that a good quality prosecco is better than cava or champaign.

I would also suggest going on a wine tour if visiting France or Italy, not just for the wine, the small vinyards also provide a fantastic meal or picnic as well.

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

Drinking Jupiler beer, right now. Waiting for that goodlooking waitress to bring me a fried egg sunny side up. Life has its moments :).

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk

Edited by smallhill
grammar

I don't say no to a few glasses of wine. I used to be into cheap red wine, but those anti-freeze fluids or whatever that special bar used to stretch that stuff were causing psychological damage, so I switched to white wine. My wine of choice is Storch, but it's most likely exclusive to Austria.

Nah I'm not old enough and/or in a relationship to enjoy wine :p

Lol yes, well the wines i've drunk in pubs in my Ireland trip this summer were only good to unstick wallpapers i'm afraid (very low quality French or Italian wine, but still very expensive).

For my part i like to drink French wines of course, but i very much like trying other countries wines when i found them in my favorite wine stores : Chilean, Australian, South African, Californian, German, etc.