Sign in to follow this  
PAR4No1D

ARMA 3 - still unrealistic optics

@paranoid post:

hmm.. What if holo sights have crosshairs enable, simulating aiming with both eyes open capability in CQB; Ironsights only have just a part of the crosshair (just the bottom line of just the middle ones) and scoped weapons have no crosshairs?

This idea could be worked on?

Abstraction from real life to simulate RL effects.

I'm talking generally about how bad optic peripherals are done. Holo sight is one example.

In real life holographic sight feels like the crosshair is projected on the target and when you move your head crosshair stays in same position - it's still aimed on target! I was trying find something in internet for you to imagine - watch this.

, in Arma it's just a red crosshair inside a "box".

The second example is rifle scope. Compare this https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/4925/scrn2-optics.JPG to this http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/127126201-4.jpg

The fact is that such a scopes were even in Red Orchestra 1, a game from 2006 - ARMA 3 is going to be 2013 game, maybe even 2014.

Thank you captain obvious.

Last time I saw a infantry clip from ARMA3 nothing has changed to scopes, and I don't think something will until they announce so...

I did a test, and the game is the same thing

holographic sight feels like the crosshair is projected on the target and when you move your head crosshair stays in same position - it's still aimed on target

http://www.noelshack.com/2013-29-1374183177-arma3-2013-07-18-22-12-59-27-bmp.jpg

http://www.noelshack.com/2013-29-1374183200-arma3-2013-07-18-22-13-08-95-bmp.jpg

Haha, nice. Considering it is a fairly inconsequential visual effect I don't mind but... COD being more authentic (not realistic) than Arma is a bit strange.

We all know why this is not implemented into ARMA3. However, this not being implemented in BF4 is another story...

This looks 3D to me

Discussion is not about 3D Models or not, but realistic 3D Scopes and not "my eyes magnify themselves into the optics".

and what you think that is, overlay with blur on sides around and zoomed optics inside ...

also anyone noticed these 3D optics are 20% less visible screespace inside the optic than old 2D approach? :)

Seeing the PiP monitors and mirrors and such being run with low visual settings and still not effect the main fps that much, wouldn't it be possible to invert this with scopes? Instead of the scope being low res and low fps couldnt the main environment you're not looking at be this?

If you're looking through a magnified scope you're not likely to make fast movements with it and the lowered fps and visual setting for the surroundings wouldn't be much of an issue.

5-7 frames here is the difference between on and off..

The more I think about PIP the more I..I don't know..there is the problem of clarity, if you look at the vehicle mirrors all but one have a REALLY crisp reflection (great for general driving but I'm not sure I'd want to spot in distance with it) , that being the offroad which is also the most stuttering.

Then you also have the (possible?) problem of the fact that shadows don't render in PIP.

Seeing the PiP monitors and mirrors and such being run with low visual settings and still not effect the main fps that much, wouldn't it be possible to invert this with scopes? Instead of the scope being low res and low fps couldnt the main environment you're not looking at be this?

If you're looking through a magnified scope you're not likely to make fast movements with it and the lowered fps and visual setting for the surroundings wouldn't be much of an issue.

Check previous pages, someone already tried a developing a PiP Scope and got 1FPS with it. I'm curious how RO made it years ago frame-friendly and BI is not able to create it in 2013. Is it due to engine limitations? Different technologies used? No budget for it?

Check previous pages, someone already tried a developing a PiP Scope and got 1FPS with it. I'm curious how RO made it years ago frame-friendly and BI is not able to create it in 2013. Is it due to engine limitations? Different technologies used? No budget for it?

Looking at his picture, it doesn't seem he used my approach. Look at the surroundings, no visual degradation anywhere. Everything is running at 100%

It was a joke, the 1fps meaning he modified a picture.

also anyone noticed these 3D optics are 20% less visible screespace inside the optic than old 2D approach? :)

Yep, this was why I was always fine with keeping the old 2D scopes; it provided a better FOV and maximised resolution of the sight picture - the latter is particularly important for long range shooting (thankfully the SOS rightly still uses 2D optics).

It was a joke, the 1fps meaning he modified a picture.

Really? In posts after that it sounded clear that it wasnt a shop. :/