Sign in to follow this  
PAR4No1D

ARMA 3 - still unrealistic optics

While cool, the new 3D optics are a bit of a hack. As the visible area outside the optics is also zoomed in. Or the lack of any kind of blur. I take it's engine limitations?

I must admit, it's better than nothing. Real RTT-scopes aren't possible at the moment with hardware like this, so this is a pretty good solution.

Good one, will the Sniper Scope (SOS) also be improved to a 3D scope?

I hope you cal still measure the distance to target using the scope. Otherwise imho its abit of a loss

Logically it should even work better now, since having a custom fov shouldn't stretch scopes' textures anymore.

I know of no game besides ro2 that uses pip scopes. All other shooters out there, no matter of the engine used, use the same full screen zoom.

Well Insurgency, both Red Orchestra, Killing Floor, Battlezone 2 and Terminator: Future Shock from memory.

While cool, the new 3D optics are a bit of a hack. As the visible area outside the optics is also zoomed in. Or the lack of any kind of blur. I take it's engine limitations?
This. I think they are able to blur the "outside" area to make it look more realistic. Or not ?

they need to at least blur the 'outside'. having such a wide, zoomed-in, field of view seems too unrealistic for this game

The "zoomed out" view of the 3d scope worries me. The functionality is completely taken away, it turns into an unmagnified optic. Zoomed in it looks very good though.

they need to at least blur the 'outside'. having such a wide, zoomed-in, field of view seems too unrealistic for this game

+1. If you can only do 3D scopes that badly, don't even bother.

I like it. Real 3D scopes are a no-go and it's way better than the "hole on a cardboard".

I like it. Real 3D scopes are a no-go and it's way better than the "hole on a cardboard".

upvoted

+1

This is as close as we're getting to real 3d scopes, and I love it.

http://i.imgur.com/eLKagcGl.jpg

Hurp.

And people who know me will know how I managed to do this.

FPS was 1 at this point, btw. PIP scopes are a no go.

I would even be satisfied if they managed animated scope overlays, but PIP is just a bit too much, and even the current scopes are okay as long as they are nicely implemented.

I'm curious as to how you did this.

I'm curious as to how you did this.

Take a screenshot with normal zoom, take a screenshot zoomed in, add the zoomed picture in the other frame in photoshop, that's it ;)

Since it is very likely that PiP is not suitable atm for these kind of scopes, the new 3D scopes are absolutely the best option!

I especially like how they have this sort of occluding lense effect in the texture which makes the edges of the scope a bit darker. :)

edit: sorry, I skimmed over the fps part so it could be possible that this is the result of a PiP experiment :)

Edited by PurePassion

Take a screenshot with normal zoom, take a screenshot zoomed in, add the zoomed picture in the other frame in photoshop, that's it ;)

Since it is very likely that PiP is not suitable atm for these kind of scopes, the new 3D scopes are absolutely the best option!

I especially like how they have this sort of occluding lense effect in the texture which makes the edges of the scope a bit darker. :)

That was my first thought but this part confused me:

Would you like to clarify whether this was PSed or you did something else there?

That was my first thought but this part confused me:

Would you like to clarify whether this was PSed or you did something else there?

I assume he refers to his photoshopped screenshot as a 1 frame per second (since IRL a photo is *technically* 1 frame of a video(or more like video is lots of pics rolling)). Also I think he intended it as a joke. ;)

fair enough regarding the number of games that have rtt/pip scopes. that said neither of those games have arma complexity.

with the curent pip implementation there is no way bis would make the scopes pip.

that said for everyone who is wondering how such a scope would be working, i could slap together a proof of concept pretty quicly

and i obviously agree that the new beta 3d scopes (at least for the acogs) should better have only one zoom level, and not two as diplayed

A PiP proof of concept might be just what is need PuFu. Good call.

I think everyone wishing to further explore this concept would appreciate that, even if it doesn't work, it doesn't hurt to do some research and field testing on the matter..who knows, might discover something.

Hurp.

And people who know me will know how I managed to do this.

I would even be satisfied if they managed animated scope overlays, but PIP is just a bit too much, and even the current scopes are okay as long as they are nicely implemented.

would it not increase performance if pip was on the outside of a scope.

1x small hi-res render circle

1x large low-res pip

problem would be how to fix to the render size on the fly :/

maybe switch to low res lod?

for example

altered screenshot with pixelation:

zyjEbVo.jpg

altered screenshot with pixelation+blur

UuyRjJE.jpg

altered screenshot with pixelation+motion blur

OSwxw33.jpg

Edited by defk0n_NL