Sign in to follow this  
wraith2021

Box Art

I know its nothing special, but as an old time fan of carrier command I remember the original box art, which captured the feeling of the game somehow. This was on the C64/ZX Spectrum/ATARI ST/AMIGA.

Original Amiga Box

Then came the PC version a few years after its initial release, with a different cover, which to be honest looks kinda naff.

Original PC Box

Now we have the new game with its cover, and as you can easily see, it appears to be based on the PC game cover. I don't know if this was intentional or not, and I personally don't know why they did this, especially when the majority of CC fans back in the day remember the original cover.

Gaea Mission Box

PC's at the time were expensive, and not as accessible as they are today, so most people had an Amiga, ST, C64 or ZX Spectrum. It just seems odd that they would use the uncommon image as a basis for design. But then again it could just be coincidence, albeit a very deliberate looking coincidence.

Edited by wraith2021

I don't recall that box design for the PC. I bought the Budget version which look like this.

IBM Compitable

So you got the original box with an IBM sticker on it? Cool. However that does not change the fact that the PC boxed game released by MicroPlay Software, seems to be the design they went for with the CC:GM cover.

Yeah, you got a bland nondescript box, but at least you got the game.

I know. Actually, thinking about it, that Discovery pack is the reason I'm playing CCGM today. If the original CC hadn't been part of the pack, I would never have bought it for the ST and if I had never played it on the ST, I wouldn't have become interested in the remake.

Seeing the original box for the Amiga made me remember the day I bought the game. I lived in NH and drove from Newfields to Salem (NH) because someone told me there was a computer store in the town that sold games for the Amiga (about a 35 mile trip one way). Well there was but they only had about a dozen games on the shelf and CC was one of them. I had never heard of the game and bought it because I liked the cover art. I didn't call the store as I wanted to actually see what they had. Having someone describe a game over the phone is not really going to work...especially if you have no idea what the game is in the first place. As I started playing the game, all I could do was feel in awe at the depth of play and realism of the controls.

Imagine back then that someone was thinking about UAV's! Now we have all sorts of them and call them drones.

Yeah, I miss the days when computer games came in big-ass boxes with art that jumped out at you. That was the only way to make them stand out on the shelves. And getting memorabilia and extras were something common. I remember getting Shadow Of The Beast for the Amiga. It came in a massive box, the art blew me away, and I got a T-shirt in the box. Damn I miss the originality of packaging. Now, all we have a choice of are DVD cases with no extras.

Just looking around the web I found this web site which shows the different box designs for different platform. Though it is missing the zx spectrum.

This seems to show the OP box layout which may have been for US release only. But it is interesting looking at the Atari ST box on that site show a rainbird layout.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/carrier-command/cover-art

Yeah, I miss the days when computer games came in big-ass boxes with art that jumped out at you. That was the only way to make them stand out on the shelves. And getting memorabilia and extras were something common. I remember getting Shadow Of The Beast for the Amiga. It came in a massive box, the art blew me away, and I got a T-shirt in the box. Damn I miss the originality of packaging. Now, all we have a choice of are DVD cases with no extras.

Wow...I got the same "Shadow of the Beast" game for my Amiga, too. I think I still have the T-shirt even. Psygnosis made some cool games back then and always had amazing splash screens and music. One of my favs was "Infestation". I also liked, "Terrorpods" even though it was a bit arcade-like. When I bought my Amiga...it was a 2 hour drive to a town in Massachusetts. The Amiga 500 had just come out and was very hard to find in stock anywhere. I bought "Barbarian" along with the computer. It was my first Amiga game.

Infestation was amazing! They really captured the suspense and horror. It had me jumping in my seat. Barbarian was a good game, as was Blood Money.

Here is the "Shadow Of The Beast" Box http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=image/view/415/_original (466 kB)

and the T-shirt that came with it http://www.sci-fi-o-rama.com/wp-content/uploads/shadow_of_the_beast_tshirt.jpg (138 kB)

Oh, and the music just to take you back

http://youtu.be/0TKV_90aYgI

Edited by wraith2021

Yup...I remember both. If I'm not mistaken the artist who did the box art was the same artist that did the album covers for the rock group, "Yes". Thanks for the music! It did take me back.

I remember to have bought all Falcon discs, Main program plus Mission disc 1 and 2, with a poster of a real F16, and a huge handbook, which felt like the real thing. Or Midwinter, a huge box, with islands notebook, to note where I discovered a person, plus a real nice Manual. And there was Zork Zero, too. with lots of addons, without you couldn't play it. A calendar for example, with lots of humor. I of course have the box of CC, with an Audiocassette and the 3,5 inch disc and the operations manual. All these games, were a lot more expensive than those of today, because of the art. Midwinter's pricetag was 109,90 Deutsche Mark, (something like 60 euros). Falcon F-16 was in that price range, too.

I am not the maker of the videos, I picked the first I could get on youtube.

I am talking about the Amiga versions, naturally.

Edited by Antares