Gnrl_Grad

Nemisis Mod - improved enemy carrier survivability

Wow.. you are right.. no more SDK option under the beta setup in steam.. and yeah the nemesis mod won't load now. I hope its just them finalizing the patch to be fully public and once its done we can get to use the mod again.

That's my hope too :) I also hope to see the next update to the SDK so we can play with unit stats.

Dunno what is happening, they have completely ditched the 360 updates by the sound of it.

Until recently, we aimed at releasing a new title update for the Xbox 360. However, I'm afraid we've now reached a point where it is apparent that for several reasons a new title update for the Xbox 360 version of Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is unlikely.

So they might be going full steam at sorting out the PC version. fingers crossed they don't ditch this as well.

Don't they have to pay to update the 360? If so, then the game has way too many issues to warrent the cost untill they can have a big patch ready.

Now back OT.

I see that GetSkill() is called allot in the script, but I can't seem to locate where it is declaired. Anyone know what GetSkill() is returning?

Note: I also see a SetSkill()

It looks like GetSkill() might be based on the enemy strength slider when you start a new game? I think 0.5 might be normal and 1.0 is max. Could be wrong though.

I'm on the last enemy island (no sign of the carrier yet) but the game keeps crashing at the exact same point with this unhandled exception:

reason: Access violation. Illegal read by 62a86a at 154

SymGetSymAddr:487, addr:0x0062a86a

I'm not sure if this is a bug with your mod, or a bug with the game itself. I haven't seen bugs like this in CC for a while now though. Any thoughts?

Usually if it's a bug with the mod it will crash when fighting the enemy carrier as this is the guts of the mod. I did encounter and fix a few of these as I was working on it and they displayed OnCarrierAttacked so it was obvious they were bugs related to the mod. So my guess is it's not specific to the mod. What are you doing when it happens and can you maybe go back to a previous save? Usually you can load an autosave from when you reached a previous island. If it happens everytime and you can give steps to reproduce it then post up the save game file and I'll have a look to see if it's related to the mod.

Right, well the enemy carrier was nowhere to be seen so it probably wasn't the mod. It's interesting to note that I'd just made it retreat, and it had no stockpile island to go to - not sure if that's a problem or not. Anyway, we'll see how it goes :)

Since the latest updates i have not been able to make him retreat - he kicks my tail all over the ocean. Is there some strategy i am missing here? How long do you guys ignore him before committing to an attack?

It's interesting to note that I'd just made it retreat, and it had no stockpile island to go to - not sure if that's a problem or not.

Technically there is always an island assigned as the stockpile so even if you capture it on the enemy it shouldn't cause a problem. By default he should also assign a new island as stockpile if he needs to.

Since the latest updates i have not been able to make him retreat - he kicks my tail all over the ocean. Is there some strategy i am missing here? How long do you guys ignore him before committing to an attack?

Everyone probably has their own style but my tips would be to use heavy weapons eg. shells, rockets, torpedos etc. especially early on in the battle and when you see smoke or fire his armour is usually diminished in that section and lighter weapons should then have more effect there too.

New version uploaded...

v3.3

* Enemy carrier now receives some repairs/fuel after a full retreat

* Enemy carrier receives some additional repairs/fuel/units when he docks at a friendly island (if he is under-powered)

* If enemy carrier runs out of fuel when in battle with player there is chance he will receive a small amount of fuel to keep him going

* Initial warm up timer reduced - enemy carrier will come into play a little bit quicker at start of game

* Some minor adjustments to enemy carrier armour

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imn4k6tzjern2ox/nemisismod.zip

While the carrier itself hasn't gotten any stronger in this version, the overall game should be somewhat tougher or longer as you will probably have to contend with the enemy carrier more.

Previously the enemy carrier could spend a lot of time docked at his islands waiting for supplies, especially if beaten back by the player, and this could get more obvious as you dominate the game and dwindle his production/resources - This version tries to keep the enemy carrier on the go more for the duration of the game. In general he should spend less time hanging around his own islands for repairs/restocking etc. But the additional restocking/refueling is intended to compliment rather than replace his normal supply network/barque which he is still reliant on. If he is on the offensive he will obviously rely more on his barque for supplies but if he is being beaten back to his own islands he will now get this extra assistance.

I have an Idea:

Add some sliders for production and resource modifiers. IE: You can set it so that the enemy islands have a higher production and resource output. Or you could set it so that your islands give you the advantage.

Its good to see that you have decided to let the enemy carrier cheat some. Most hard AIs have to cheat to provide any kind of challange.

Thanks for the update :-)

I can hit him pretty well enough - its just that he destroys my mantas pretty easily (even with heavier armor) then takes out my main gun and pounds me to death. Guess i have to coordinate better with my units..

I can hit him pretty well enough - its just that he destroys my mantas pretty easily (even with heavier armor) then takes out my main gun and pounds me to death. Guess i have to coordinate better with my units..

When engaging the enemy carrier I normally keep my mantas docked or a safe distance away except in a few scenarios...

1) I have destroyed most or all of his aa defense guns

2) I want to launch a torpedo attack on him from a safe(ish) range

3) I'm on my last legs and need to send anything I can at it in a desperate bid to survive!

If you send mantas in early they will usually get ripped to shreds by his aa guns. Try to soften him up first or fly low and very carefully and attack with missles etc. And try to protect your main cannon from getting damaged or destroyed. Sometimes you might need to steer away as he approaches to protect your main gun. If it does get destroyed consider a retreat and attacking with other units while you wait for it to repair. Try to keep your own carrier out of his close range kill zone where he'll inflict a lot of damage on you. And if all else fails just hope for the best :)

Ok there's a new 1.05 beta patch released and there are lots of changes in the script files so don't use the mod (for now at least) with this new patch. I'll need to roll the nemisis mod changes into these newer script files. But first I'm going to play at least one game vanilla to see how it plays with the new changes! I'm starting a new game with low start resources and the tech setting at low so it should be interesting! :)

Just tried playing a game with the new 1.05 patch with tech level 1 and maximum enemy strength and got my backside handed to me in the strategic map (he took the empty islands before I could, and all his islands become very strong or deadly when he takes them). Very hard trying to advance against that onslaught with basic equipment + the medium armour and plasma gun blueprints I found, so I'm actually going to have to think about strategy now! Haven't actually reached a 1vs1 fight with the carrier yet so no idea if its stronger or not, but I look forward to the update for this mod just in case ;)

I've encountered the enemy carrier a couple of times now but I haven't managed to kill him yet. The new settings mean our carriers might not start as strong now because I only have 1 or 2 deck guns at the moment and the plasma cannon is not as effective as the shell cannon which is what we always used to start with. I think they realized this and changed it around so the shell cannon is more the higher tier upgrade now. The ai movement in battle seems to have changed too, he's harder to get behind and hard to keep in your main cannon sights. So he's definitely tougher in that sense and it seems harder to bring him to a dead stop, but then I'm not using the shells as before so it's hard to compare a battle until I try the cannon again.

I find I am contemplating attacking with units now more than before because my carrier currently has less weapons. For example I'm using walruses with quads to replace my missing aa carrier guns. There's definitely more to think about and it opens up the need to try more strategies, great patch.

Will have to wait until I make some headway in the game to see how to best implement the mod with this new version. For example the modded armour I had going on might be a bad idea now especially early game. :)

Yeah - that armor u had would be very bad in this now (with early tech). I had one encounter with him - caught him while he was attacking an island so hi units were deployed. Hurt him a bit before his mantas came back. Had to manuever away from him to draw his mantas away and then pick them off with my mantas. I like the fact that you can catch him without his units..

He does however start more advanced than you - has his full compliment of antiair for example.

I like the intent with the slider, but i think you need another way to "tech up". Right now it seems you only get tech from what you find on islands. That's very restrictive as - for example - i would like to research anti-air for my carrier, but cant. Or get better armor for my walrus - but cant... unless you get lucky in the loot drop on an island.

Also after awhile, you become sorely outclassed even for trying to take stronger islands - and now that you can't scout an island defense unless you are connected (which is another sool concept) - you have no idea which island is stronger than which until you almost commit to it.

So you start to lose units, and then cant upgrade them because you cant find the equipment on the few island you can take.

The random drops are fun - i just wish there was another mechanic in place to eventually unlock higher equipment.

I had always wanted to see a proper research facility where you can slowly but surely get more blueprints over time, just as you suggest. I do enjoy the random drop of this new version but yeah, it sure makes things challenging when you're not getting the gear you need!

i just wish there was another mechanic in place to eventually unlock higher equipment.

Once the full sdk is out, that will be easy enough to do.

Ok, I forced the enemy carrier to retreat, then after half an hour I went to the island I saw it heading to, cornered it and sank it. I think it definitely needs the 'cutscene retreat', as well as the enhanced vehicle and supply replacement abilities your mod gives it, for while 1.05 is a big improvement, it's still a bit of a let-down to kill the enemy carrier that soon.

I've uploaded a new version of the mod for the new 1.05 patch.

The modded armour has been disabled in this for now because it could make him too strong early game with low tech level. I haven't play tested this much in 1.05 but it should mostly be as before minus the extra armour and with some small behaviour changes I was experimenting with, also I'm not sure how tough this will be with the various new tech settings but hopefully as I play the game more I'll get a better idea of how it all fits (or doesn't).

v4.0

* mod updated to work with scripts from game patch v1.05

* Some minor/experimental changes to enemy carrier (attack island or carrier) behaviour

* modded armour has been disabled completely (for now at least) because of the tech level possibilities introduced in patch 1.05

here is a recap/summary of the main features in this current version of the mod

* Enemy carrier will do a full retreat with cutscene to stockpile if damaged too badly

* To kill enemy carrier you need to take all islands or destroy him at his stockpile island

* Torpedo damage changes making it harder but not impossible to kill enemy carrier outright with torpedos

* Note: It should still be possible but very very hard to kill him outright at any time

* When there are no more enemy islands you will receive sighting report messages to help locate the enemy carrier

* Enemy carrier receives manta reinforcements when defending an island he owns

* Enemy carrier receives additional repairs/fuel/units when he is at a friendly island

* If enemy carrier runs out of fuel when in battle with player there is chance he will receive a small amount of fuel to keep him going

* Initial warm up timer reduced - enemy carrier will come into play a little bit quicker at start of game

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imn4k6tzjern2ox/nemisismod.zip