Gnrl_Grad

Nemisis Mod - improved enemy carrier survivability

Don't need him any tougher .. not for me anyways.. he sunk me in my first engagement with him.. lol

Does the AI manta's use torpedos effectively? I launched one with the torpedo but all he did was fly over the enemy carrier and hovered there for a good while and eventually got shot down without releasing the weapon.

(also : what is the key to activate secondary weapons wen you are flying/driving? sorry - i usually only first-person fly/drive to get them out of some pathfinding trouble).

Thanks for continued work on this mod. :-)

I don't think I'll be making him any stronger :) I'd like to add a setting to the strategy game menu where you can adjust the armour level but I'm not sure what's involved in modding in menu controls.

Does the AI manta's use torpedos effectively?

From my observations the mantas don't launch torpedoes themselves. I've been flying them manually and launching the torpedoes myself.

what is the key to activate secondary weapons wen you are flying/driving?

I use the mouse wheel to change weapon. Not sure about the keys for it.

From my observations the mantas don't launch torpedoes themselves. I've been flying them manually and launching the torpedoes myself.

I use the mouse wheel to change weapon. Not sure about the keys for it.

Ahh. Ok thanks. I'll manually deploy torpedoes then.

As far as strategy, I have yet to see the AI come at me with a proper full strength loadout, It is eather not queing correctly or not equiping correctly for that.

Maby make it so that the carrier auto restocks with all the high level stuff?

As far as the GUI editor; it looks like its a simple drag and drop type thing (simular to what you get with visual basic).

Just had a game where the carrier did have a very tough loadout.

I chased it off on the first encounter.. barely..

Second time it was on an island right next to my stockpile. Admittedly i went in with an understrength set of mantas. But the enemy carrier had heavy mantas with lasers raking my carrier. - his carrier wiped my plasma gun with impunity. My engines went and he just pommelled me (by now my mantas were all destroyed..). And then i saw his four walruses returning from the island and joined the fight to completely wipe me out.

The pop up menu came saying i was defeated.. i took the option to retry (? or restart .. something like that).. It loaded me back at the point i came out of timewarp at the island. Instead of charging the carrier this time, I moved closer to the island itself and saw his (all heavy) mantas and walruses on the island. The mantas were attacking friendly walruses and his walruses were all bunched at a crossroads. I launched my mantas to try and destroy his walruses on the island thinking i can weaken his forces here before engaging the carrier itself..... my mantas were swatted from the sky by his

walruses with ease.

So i gave up ..lol. clearly i was not in any position to face him.

I'm an average player - so this "new armor" feels *almost* OP in favor of the carrier .. lol.. but it is way more fun than the vanilla game. Good work :-)

From what I can see when the game starts the enemy carrier is decked out with a full compliment of mantas and walruses and most of them are heavy ones. It will most likely lose units when capturing islands though and sometimes you might encounter it in between re-supplies or it might have it's units on the island or he might not be able to afford a full complimt. I'm reluctant to gift him new units for now as it might defeat the point of some of the strategy game but if I get a chance I'll have a look into how it re-supplies.

I've made some changes to how this mod works for the next version. I've removed some bonus armour code based on carrier to carrier distance that was actually unfair if you were attacking with units far away from your own carrier and now the retreat is configured to work more in tandem with the actual ai behaviour. For example the retreat should feel a bit more realistic in the sense that it will usually happen after the normal ai intiates his normal flee tactic. It tries to hold off on the full retreat until he's put some distance between you. This means he is usually moving away from you at speed when the retreat kicks in which looks better than it happening when he is stationary next to you! I'm still fine tuning the damages and play testing etc.

From what I can see when the game starts the enemy carrier is decked out with a full compliment of mantas and walruses and most of them are heavy ones. It will most likely lose units when capturing islands though and sometimes you might encounter it in between re-supplies or it might have it's units on the island or he might not be able to afford a full complimt. I'm reluctant to gift him new units for now as it might defeat the point of some of the strategy game but if I get a chance I'll have a look into how it re-supplies.

I agree here. Its just more realistic that you can catch him with less than full compliment either in between resupplies or his units are deployed. Also adds some options as in my last game, if i was better equipped, i could have defeated his forces on the island and then go after him.

I've uploaded a new version of the mod.

v3.0

* Armour settings and retreat action now work in conjunction with the default ai flee tactic - this means the enemy carrier is usually moving away at speed when/if a full retreat kicks in

* Lots of small changes to health/repair settings that effect the modded armour, retreat action, torpedo damage and ai flee tactic

* Stopped player carrier when retreat cutscene is initiated if it is too close (sometimes player carrier would crash into enemy carrier in cutscene which didn't look good)

* Removed previously added bonus armour code based on carrier to carrier distance that didn't make sense if you were attacking with manta/walrus units far away from your carrier

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imn4k6tzjern2ox/nemisismod.zip

I'm considering gifting him some units only if he has none at all and is defending one of his own islands but I'm not sure yet. Good idea/bad idea?

He is suppost to be my nemisis. If he is under stocked then he is not much of a nemisis, just a sis.....

If he runs out, then gift him some units. Personally I think he should be fully stocked all the time so that I might actually have to run from him early game; after all, you are the resistance and he is with the big bad army.

Looking forward to trying out the new update.. looks good :-). Is it possible to have the enemy carrier (based on some random check or proximity to your carrier if you are trying to take over his islands) come looking for you to attack? That would make it interesting as you would be dealing with managing your units on an island fighting his forces and he shows up with his full loadout behind you to attack. I figure that would only happen if you are at an island real close to him as he cannot trigger a timewarp to fast forward to you. Just a thought :-)

I like that he can be caught with his some units destroyed (makes me feel like i have a chance.. lol). I guess you could make his minimum number of mantas/walruses be 1 so he always has at least one in reserve. So even if you destroy all in a fight he keeps spamming one more at you.

I realize i am definately in the "casual" player group for this game as I can get beaten by him as he is now... lol....

Sorry guys just found and fixed a bug, another quick update uploaded...

v3.1

* Fixed a bug resulting from a torpedo kill

* More tweaks to torpedo damage

He is suppost to be my nemisis. If he is under stocked then he is not much of a nemisis, just a sis.....

If he runs out, then gift him some units. Personally I think he should be fully stocked all the time so that I might actually have to run from him early game; after all, you are the resistance and he is with the big bad army.

Well as he is now if you do meet him with a full compliment he can be very challenging. I've chosen to avoid him now a few times (which I never did before) and he's killed me a couple of times too. It also depends on your own attack force and a bit of luck of the draw with the enemy carrier ai. Sometimes the ai makes it easier for you, but sometimes everything goes just right for him and he kicks ass big time. :) He's even dodged my torpedoes at times which seemed intentional but I'm not sure. I think it's good to have these varied carrier v carrier battles, so sometimes he's fully kitted out and tough to beat but other times you catch him under-equipped and you get an easier battle. I think gifting the units all the time would make for less varied battles which is why I would think to do it only at his own islands if any.

Looking forward to trying out the new update.. looks good :-). Is it possible to have the enemy carrier (based on some random check or proximity to your carrier if you are trying to take over his islands) come looking for you to attack? That would make it interesting as you would be dealing with managing your units on an island fighting his forces and he shows up with his full loadout behind you to attack. I figure that would only happen if you are at an island real close to him as he cannot trigger a timewarp to fast forward to you. Just a thought :-)

I see in the code this is already in there as part of the default ai and he should do it under certain conditions.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I've witnessed this happening a couple of times in-game as well.

Edited by Gnrl_Grad

I see in the code this is already in there as part of the default ai and he should do it under certain conditions.

Yeah - nevermind ... in all my games so far I have been the one to initiate contact with him. Right after i posted my request here, I loaded up a save game and went back in. He came straight for me at the next island i tried to take from him.. lol. Completely caught me off guard as my mantas were on the other side of the island and he launched all four of his.

Good stuff :-)

Stopped player carrier when retreat cutscene is initiated if it is too close

The cutscene has its own set of problems. Mainly, you don't have control of your units. Several times I have lost a unit or 2 because I could not do anything to stop it.

I would suggest removeing the cutscene and replace it with a simi bright flash of light. The partical editor seems easy enough to use to come up with that.

And I would beleve it more than the current now you see me now you don't "magic".

The cutscene has its own set of problems. Mainly, you don't have control of your units. Several times I have lost a unit or 2 because I could not do anything to stop it.

In the next version a player controlled unit will switch to autopilot when the retreat cutscene kicks in so there is less chance of a manta crash diving accidently into the the sea or enemy carrier. I've also applied this to the map screen so when you are flying a manta and switch to map it will go to autopilot mode instead of flying head on. Not sure if this suits everyone but I've crashed my own mantas into mountains a few times when switching to map on purpose or by accidently clicking the right mouse button.

I would suggest removeing the cutscene and replace it with a simi bright flash of light. The partical editor seems easy enough to use to come up with that.

And I would beleve it more than the current now you see me now you don't "magic".

I like the cutscene because it breaks up the action a bit and gives a more gradual outro to the battle, disappearing without the cutscene might look abrupt if it wasn't done well but either way a particle effect at the end signifying the warp would be a nice addition. There are some cool particle effects but I haven't looked into adding them yet.

I've been playing with re-stocking the enemy carrier with mantas and I think it will be a nice addition, so this should be in the next version. Basically if he's defending one of his own islands he'll receive a full compliment of manta reinforcements. Because only his mantas are resupplied and not walruses or other things it shouldn't make him too overpowered or really effect the overall strategy game too much. To balance battle difficulty after this addition I'll probably remove armour bonus when he is defending his islands and just have the one same armour setting.

I've also applied this to the map screen so when you are flying a manta and switch to map it will go to autopilot mode instead of flying head on.

Just do a full stop. There is a reason some people have disable the auto resume (execute) bit and it would be a nice patch to have them stay put and not turn when I switch from them without hitting E.

When the autopilot kicks in the unit slows down and comes to a stop - it won't resume any existing flight plan unless you specifically issue the execute command. It's just not an immediate stop so if you're going at top speed towards a mountain and you switch to map at the last minute it will probably still kill you or at least cause some damage but at least it won't travel straight on like an unguided missile :)

A new version is now available...

v3.2

* Enemy carrier now receives manta reinforcements when defending an island he owns

* All player units now go to autopilot when the retreat cutscene starts (crash avoidance for player controlled unit on entering cutscene)

* Manta under direct control will now go to autopilot when switching to map (helps protect against accidental right click to map and crashing into terrain) it won't resume any existing flight plan unless you specifically issue the execute command

* Various other small changes and refinements

* Mod name now displayed on strategy game menu

Yes it works with the Steam version. Just make sure you are pointing to the beta patch and add the: -mod nemisismod line to your startup

This is a fantastic mod :D Just had my first encounter with the enemy carrier and it was a stalemate. It's just gone and limped off, while I'm stuck with 1 sliver of armour left and nothing else working. Love it! I'm uh, going to avoid it next time lol. The only thing that bugs me atm is with less than 25% fuel, no repairs will be done at all, even with something pegged to 'top priority'. So I have to wait for the barge to arrive before I can start repairs. But yes, a mean SOB carrier mod. Any chance the devs can roll this into the next patch and make it official? ;)

Edit: After running away to the nearest island to repair itself, the enemy carrier still isn't going on the offensive or taking islands. It just sits there, fully repaired, and defends its island until I came along and made it retreat again. Not sure there's anything you can do about that, but it's an issue. Note: This happens when making the carrier retreat normally, without the cutscene. I finally managed to make it do the retreat cutscene, and afterwards its back on the offensive. Sweet :)

Edited by Savant1974

After running away to the nearest island to repair itself, the enemy carrier still isn't going on the offensive or taking islands. It just sits there, fully repaired, and defends its island until I came along and made it retreat again. Not sure there's anything you can do about that, but it's an issue. Note: This happens when making the carrier retreat normally, without the cutscene.

This is the default game behaviour and eventually it should go back on the offensive. I think there are some timers that make it avoid your carrier after losing and islands where it failed in battle so that might be the cause or it could be waiting for particular supplies to arrive before going on the offensive again. I'm pretty sure this can be changed via modding but if he comes straight back into the game without some delay it might be too pressuring. At the moment I appreciate the breather when I beat him and use the time to take some more islands, think of it as a benefit or reward from beating him :) But I'll look into this more if I get a chance, perhaps he could come back a little quicker.

I like the breather too, but in all the games I've played, it's never gone back on the offensive. At least now it's fully repaired and re-equipped by the time I go to the island its docked at. Still having a blast with this mod though, very well done :D

Edit: Erm, the game seems to have autopatched itself (steam version) and gone back to v0014... no more SDK, and no more mods. So progress in fixing this game seems to have become so slow it's actually going backwards :P Just when I was starting to enjoy it, too. Well, that was a fun mod while it lasted.

Edited by Savant1974
gotta be kidding me