Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

Arma2:Co Conquest Mode [Preview]

conquestp.png

Note: Used map click to get around for the purpose of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvrbEdPiIYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq5_wDgFLUs

-The game mode is based on pure pvp. Meaning, there are no AI.

-Each team spawns at their respective bases and seek out areas/towns to capture & hold.

-There will be between 3 & 5 cap points in any given scenario.

-Each area captured will spawn vehicles for the respective side that owns the area. Respawn type based on which respective team holds the area.

-Each area held will serve as a respawn point for the respective team. Respawn methods will vary from land to halo to simple chute.

-The more areas you hold, the quicker your teams point total will elevate.

-***There will eventually be a ranking system to use certain weapons

-***Hopefully, Player ranks will be saved through sql database. Ranking up should be a fairly long term process, and give the players something to work towards.

***tbd

Why is this game mode good?

-No silly AI behaviour or lag.

-Better, more realistic, longer lasting engagements than any coops can provide.

-Maintaining gear & items is fluid.

-Hop right in & play atmosphere, on a "large" scale.

-The action can be incredible with only a small amount of players, and yet still leaves plenty of room for more without over crowding the AO.

-Weapon restrictions. There is no "jack of all trades" going on here. :nono:

What Features are currently in Conquest ATM?

*16 v 16 (64p planned)

*The c&h mode itself

*Weapon restrictions

*Vehicle spawn cycle at cap points

*Fluid loadout UI

-Select & save your loadout

-Group selection

-Rank & name display

-Grass & viewdistance settings

-Spawn locations (if available)

-Date/time/weather display

-Score display

-Status for available base vehicles aswell as available vehicles in captured areas

-GUI Map

*Status HUD (toggleable)

-Score Display

-Health display

-FPS Display

-Heading display

-Mini Map

*Base layouts & vehicle spawning

*Anti TK / Shooting in base features

What features am I working on currently?:

-Add in vehicle reinforcements for the losing side. IE; West has all the zones, east gets an attack helo or CO gets some arty usage for a duration.

-Rank system *To come after beta release sometime

-When all goals are met & I'm satisfied with the functionality, an "Conquest HIP 1942" version will come

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share :)

Edited by Iceman77

Excellent work mate! The Conguest in BF2 was great fun. I'm very excited to see how the potential of ArmA is utilized in this wonderful game mode! :D

Concerning public pvp, conquest + Arma > All imo. Should be alot of fun.

Edited by Iceman77

Wow impressive man, keep up the good work and I hope to see this mission soon!

Interesting, looks pretty cool.

is it possible though to have it where you could play againsted AI?, as a friend and I play coop most times

and are always looking out for missions to play, but no PVP.

Pretty cool though I like the menu you have going there.

I can release the UI separately so users can do whatever they wish. As I spent the last two days re-writing the entire UI, so the weapons, magazines, pictures etc can all be passed to the dialog via weapons array now. But the game mode will be pure pvp, no ai. Anyhow, I've got a couple new video clips I'll put up by tomorrow.

...here's another request for a player -vs- AI version.

For the last 11 years or so the OFP/Arma franchise has always been based primarily upon the coop/player vs AI concept. There are virtually no modern military based PC games left that cater to this style of play other than Arma...while there may be one or 2 here and there (such as the new BLOPs2) none can really be compared to Arma. I understand the Player vs Player types wish to be represented now in Arma3, but there are so many other game titles that cater to Player vs Player and so few that cater to Player vs AI that I just hope BIS stays true to this game's roots.

Afterall, this is the ONLY place available to go where the Player vs AI mentality is the majority...I for one hope it never disappears.

I wouldn't exactly say "ONLY", but it's one of very few. I agree with that point overall though BigShot. I would be interested in trying to incorporate that interface into Urban Conquest since interfaces are something I have no knowlege of. I already have the player vs AI worked out, but I've recieved more than enough gripes about my respawn system and weapon selections to consider putting it into the missions, and pvp or coop is optional. Anyhow, the interface you have looks great and would fit in perfectly to the existing scheme I have. I'm going to have a look at it on my own, but I'm honestly pretty lost with it.

Cheers:D

There will not be any ai version of conquest. The whole point of conquest is to bring back pure pvp that was seen throughout Arma1. ie; berzerk c&h

There will not be any ai version of conquest. The whole point of conquest is to bring back pure pvp that was seen throughout Arma1. ie; berzerk c&h

I get that for your conquest. I'm talking about my Urban Conquest missions. That interface would work nicely with them.... just sayin':)

I was referring to Big Shots post. But yeah, once I get the dialog worked out 100% I'll shoot you the source files. Everytime I think I'm done, there's always some little thing that I think of to add. IE; displays for the date & time, weather, score + various small tweaks. ATM, I need to track down the weather symbol .paas (the ones you see while in the editor). I only found 2 out of the 5 config paths in the config viewer so far. Most U.S weapons are added, but I still need to do support weapons & sniper rifles + add a couple more launcher types. Which isn't a big deal. Also, I need to do more testing on the group joining feature. We only tested the group feature briefly, but it seems gtg.

note: If any competent Mp scripters would like to help out with the project, shoot me a PM. I'm focusing on dialogs atm, so it will be some time before I can get to writing the actual mode.

Nice Iceman, Now I see why you been busy in the editing section, I always knew arma could do conquest better than bf, glad to see you working on this, I mostly play vs AI soley because there's seems to be no missions such as the one you are creating available, apart from joining some clan? Anyway would definitely give this some gametime...

Edited by Katipo66

Iceman,

I think there are far too few public PvP game modes for ArmA2, so I really appreciate your effort. But a flexible COOP game which plays somewhat similar to the PvP mode is not bad, either. Allowing tvig0r0us to use your interface in his mission could be very interesting for those who play both COOP and PvP.

The UI you designed looks very practical and user-friendly. The layout is simple and self-explanatory which is a big plus for any public game and colour coding according to faction is a neat idea. You mention red and blue factions but will you also make a green variant so that three-way warfare is possible?

It seems that the magazines are directly tied to the chosen weapon. So the player doesn't have to scroll through a long list of ammo types. What about weapons which can use different mags? There are STANAG mags with 30 or 20 rounds, and I think G36 rifles can use both G36 and STANAG mags? One of the automatic side-arms comes comes with mags of 20 and 40 rounds. Most launchers can fire two different types of ammo, the RPG7 laucher even three. Can your interface handle different types of ammo?

Will this interface support community mods such as weapons and items like bandages, etc? Will it support ACE which comes with a lot of unique inventory items (various types of medical supplies and explosives, things like gas masks and earplugs)?

Can you say something about the rules of your game mode, yet, or is it too soon to ask?

You explained there will be no AI combattants but have you considered AI civilians? They could add to the gameplay if the rules say something about avoiding collateral damage. A player faction which looks a bit like the civilians (I am thinking about Takistani militia or Chernarussian hunters, etc) might be a little harder to spot in the villages if they mingle with AI civilians. Players could borrow civilian vehicles and hope to travel unnoticed by their human enemies.

You mentioned a ranking system for vehicles and weapons. How about equipment? Will every player have access to items such as GPS or NVG or is there a limiting factor such as the player's rank, his task or may be even the price of the item in question?

Can Arma2:Co Conquest be converted to community islands or is it limited to Takistan?

Hi, thanks for taking some interest with this project. Once the ui is completed, I'll release the entire UI to the community to do with as they wish. Regarding the Ai, there will be 0 ai in the official conquest mode. users are more than welcomed to use the Ui for their own coops though.

I will not be designing for a 3rd faction. Just for blufor & opfor. But, I'll predefine some color schemes that a user can set easily and also, the user can put any weapons he/she likes into the weapons arrays. It could be used for any faction you wanted.

Yes the magazines are tied to what weapon the you have automatically, and when you even open the dialog it will show your current loadout. If you choose a G36 for example and then switch to lets say an M4A1, the magazine amount will carry over to your selection in real time, converting the old mags into the new ones. Same is true for pistols. It is NOT true for launchers, all launcher ammo will be deleted upon switching launchers, you'll have to pick new launcher ammo. Also, launchers (pertaining to launchers with more than one ammo type) are limited to Anti Armor round types, no DPs or other variants atm.

The UI may support ACE items in the future, as of now... NO.

The basic "rules" are summed up in the original post. You will be fighting over capture points, obtaining rank etc. I can't give anymore info than that at this time.

I may use UPSMON for some civilian presence in towns. In some cases/scenarios, the opfor will be TKM, which I think blends well with civs.

Aquiring weapons will be based on rank. They will not cost any kind of currency. Things like binoculars & NVG will be available to all ranks. Though, I may make them available starting at some small rank, IE corporal or something. Also, there are already weapons restrictions in place. IE: You can't have a support weapon or scoped weapon with launchers.

Users can convert the mode to any island they wish.

I hope that answers your questions.

regards,

David

Edited by Iceman77

I hope that answers your questions.

regards,

David

Yes it does. Thank you very much.

The video I promised has been updated in the OP, sorry it's late. This one is a good deal longer. It contains the new UI with most blufor weapons, weapons restriction feature, blufor color scheme, & a new feature introduced that allows one member from each side to deploy a camp (forward spawn). What I need to do now is implement backpacks. I'm not sure though how I want to do that. In the launchers list at the bottom, or make a new tab completely for backpacks.?

Edited by Iceman77

I think the background of the ui would look much better as black, just an opinion. :)

You're behind the times Horner! 1 color is sooooooo last year. :cool: Now you can set the default color easily aswell as change the color on the fly. I just haven't made a video of that yet, but you can check it out by downloading the source files/example mission for the UI here. I did have over 140 colors available. But, I figured users would get annoyed with so many to choose from. So i took all out except for like ~30... or something like that.

Edited by Iceman77

It's not my fault I'm not in the loop :aa:

Sounds great man, might wanna add the dynamic background color changer to that main ui if you haven't already, I think it could be more useful.

I already put it into the main UI. Or, what do you mean?

Mikie Boy is out for a few days, I'm in need of a couple testers to test the mode. If interested shoot me a PM so I can setup a time that's convenient. Will take anywhere from 5min to maybe 20minutes.

i'm VERY interested in this conquest mode.

still pretty new to scripting and what not,

so i'm having an awful time making my idea come to fruision.

but i'm trying to make something similar...

set in a nuked town on the small map of proving grounds....

civi's v.s. opfor - a PVP thing.

- team one(opfor) spawns at edge of map and is supplied well.

- team two(civi's) less well supplied holds 5 or 6 interesting areas around the map and can use them as re-spawns.

- once team one captures team twos areas they can no longer re-spawn but they can be recaptured.

- mission ends when all of team two's areas are taken or... time and/or tickets run out.

UI is pretty cool too,

but i'm more interested in this mission mode.

Hey. Within the next couple of days I'll have a new vid, showcasing the mode. Also, a small pdf about how to play etc.

Updated the original post with a new video. A small preview of the actual mode itself. I was by myself during the video, though I should have recorded earlier when we were testing. Anyhow, when I get time to do a proper video I will. Note, anything you see in this video is subject to change. Also, I was using map click to get around rather than vehicles, so I didn't have to spend time editing the video. There are some aspects I couldn't show. For example, a contested zone, when both factions are in the capture area, vehicle spawn cycle etc.

Things to do:

-Format a respawn count down timer to dead vehicle markers. (already half done, I just need to stop being lazy and implement it)

- I'm undecided how I want to do the scoring. So I just made up a quick point system for the video. It's fully functional, but idk if I like it.

-Add lobby parameter for respawn type. IE; When you select a zone out in the AO, you either spawn ground based (as in video) or by halo directly over said zone or simple parachute.

-Add auto balancing vehicles. IE; West owns all of the zones, then east gets a gunship and/or the CO for east gets to use artillery Or c130 tv camera/HE cannon from 10k M up for a duration or until the enemy no longer owns all of the zones.

-Work on the ranking system

Edited by Iceman77

Looks awesome Iceman77!! Congrats on the mode. BF2 ate up so much of my time years ago... It's about time something similar came to ArmA.

If you need a tester sometime... shoot me a PM and I'll try to give you a hand. (Testing on an empty map just blows, and as Clinton said.. "I feel your pain")