Sign in to follow this  
KAaskilde

Radeon HD 7970 - White Dots in trees - Catalyst Settings

Hi,

I have a pretty high-end computer and are using the ATI Radeon HD 7970 gfx.

But i have a seriuos issue with White dots in the trees and it's really annoying!

I now it's caused by the AnitAliasing, when i disables it the white dots is gone.

With that said i really want some AnitAliasing on my game, i have tried using the CCC to control the AA but the game do not seem to take that so good.

Any help:confused:

Try putting AA on low and using FXAA or SMAA, see if that helps..

Try putting AA on low and using FXAA or SMAA, see if that helps..

I am using FXAA(Smart Filter) - High, have tried with the low setting, not as many dots but they are still there.

But still i want the high setting for the AA :)

Use ATOC. I really only see the "dots" on Pine/Fir trees and the worst is on Namalsk. With my settings its not much if at all. Also the Resolution you run at will make some difference too. I do remember though, when it was a wacked out white dot hell. But now i have to look for it. Ingame settings are all VH, AA=6, ATOC is alltrees+grass, PPAA is FXAA normal sharp(24),PP is off (on at nite) 7970 user.

I have those too sometimes on a 7770. It seems certain effects cause it, I noticed trees can look fine until I throw a grenade, as soon as it explodes the dots appear.

It's all to do with ATOC settings, turn this off and should go away. If it doesn't then adjust AA settings until it does...

I have always played with ATOC off and the problem is solved if i turn of the AA setting - but i really want some AA turned on - and if i do override the AA game setting in Catalyst, it do not work so good together :/

MMrrTTs screenshot shows ATOC with a low AA setting. That grid looks awful on low AA and mostly fine on high AA settings.

There is the really bad version of the bug looking snow white like this, but that was on older patches/driver versions, and it happened when ATOC (and AA of course, as ATOC only works with AA) was activated. I could never reproduce it, because I got my 7970 when it was already fixed.

I think I get the same bug you are talking about, it looks like a less extreme version of the second screenshot I linked, more like the bushes in the distance with less white dots.

It happens randomly and when it appears it has something to do with the direction you look at and it only shows on the trees and bushes for me, not on grass. It has no connection to AA, because I mostly play without it and use a higher 3D resolution instead. It does sometimes disappear when changing AF though, only to reappear from another angle for the different AF setting. When it happens you can pause the game with Esc to freeze it and try changing the video options.

I never saw that bug on a 5000 or 6000 series Radeon, so it seems to be a problem exclusive to the 7000 series. A friend with a Geforce never saw it on 500 or 600 series.

dotsk6dvc.jpg

Now to the important part: I think I got it fixed. Open up the CCC and put your "AF quality" on "high quality" and/or change "surface format optmization" to "off". I don't know the terms in English, so here's another screenshot to help find it.

I didn't try which one of these two options helps or if you need to change both. You can change it globally or create a new profile for Arma.

For testing I used this mission here, just load it in the editor and start, don't move and just look around, up and a bit to the left would show the dots for me but doesn't anymore.

MMrrTTs screenshot shows ATOC with a low AA setting. That grid looks awful on low AA and mostly fine on high AA settings.

There is the really bad version of the bug looking snow white like this, but that was on older patches/driver versions, and it happened when ATOC (and AA of course, as ATOC only works with AA) was activated. I could never reproduce it, because I got my 7970 when it was already fixed.

I think I get the same bug you are talking about, it looks like a less extreme version of the second screenshot I linked, more like the bushes in the distance with less white dots.

It happens randomly and when it appears it has something to do with the direction you look at and it only shows on the trees and bushes for me, not on grass. It has no connection to AA, because I mostly play without it and use a higher 3D resolution instead. It does sometimes disappear when changing AF though, only to reappear from another angle for the different AF setting. When it happens you can pause the game with Esc to freeze it and try changing the video options.

I never saw that bug on a 5000 or 6000 series Radeon, so it seems to be a problem exclusive to the 7000 series. A friend with a Geforce never saw it on 500 or 600 series.

http://www.abload.de/thumb/dotsk6dvc.jpg

Now to the important part: I think I got it fixed. Open up the CCC and put your "AF quality" on "high quality" and/or change "surface format optmization" to "off". I don't know the terms in English, so here's another screenshot to help find it.

I didn't try which one of these two options helps or if you need to change both. You can change it globally or create a new profile for Arma.

For testing I used this mission here, just load it in the editor and start, don't move and just look around, up and a bit to the left would show the dots for me but doesn't anymore.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply!

I will try your suggestion when i get home from work and then i will write what happens! :)

But thanks for taking the time to assist me!

//KAaskilde

If you got gpu-power to spare you can try turning off AA and setting the 3d-resolution to a higher value than your screen-resolution. Afaik this actually does what AA is trying to simulate, but without blurring details and without all the strange artifacts.

Oh thanks!

I will try that when i get home!

Sounds like something that can work out as well!

I think that i got some GPU power, but i will try it no mather what!

Hi there,

I am also going to participate to this thread as I have a HD7950 and also have to deal with those white dots in bushes and trees.

First of all, I only want to talk about the real problem presented in the first post, the white dots that are linked to Anisotropic Filtering (AF). The other one, dots linked to Anti-Aliasing (AA) can be solved by turning AA to 0 and increasing 3D resolution. The AA bug is less annoying as it is just few sparkling white dots (not very disturbing).

The problem that we encounter here is the fact that when you look at trees in a certain direction (about 30° of angle wide cone) you have a huge amount of white dots covering a great part of the trees and bushes :

5v5aba_th.jpg

If you turn your eyes out of this "buggy" direction, the dots disappear :

b4gg7n_th.jpg

The solution explained just before, turning off AF in game and forcing it in CCC (driver forced + untick "surface format optimization"), makes this problem disappear. Great !!! BUT, in my configuration, it leads to 15-20 fps drop and micro-stuttering. Unplayable on my PC.

I think this huge loss of fps is also strange as I have a fresh win7 64bit install, 13.1 drivers, I5-3570K and HD7950. AF shouldn't have such an impact on this configuration.

This phenomena appears with recent and old drivers (from 12.6 to 13.1, as far as I tested).

Just to complete my observations I can tell that putting AF on with ingame settings and turning ATOC on also makes those dots disappear BUT ATOC is really horrible with AMD cards (pronounced grid patterns :confused: and flickering of sky when looking through vegetation). So ATOC is not a way of dealing with this bug.

For the moment, I can only play without AF... what a pity when you have recent PC !

Here is a test mission where you start in the needed conditions to observe this bug :

http://www.filedropper.com/mission_1

Is there anybody for saving us from those invading dots ? :pray:

I have the same issue with 7950. I just used ATOC to fix it. It isn't perfect, but it gets the job done.

I've made some more screens with different settings - in every case I don't see much of white dots, but grass in grids and dots is not very nice.

I've tried Scruffy's option in CCC, but got this result https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7jwre2azi3dq57b/ArmA2OA%2003-02-2013%200-19-43-83.png (2790 kB) very few white dots (the same as for the last time) and dotted and gridded grass/evergreen branches.

I've noticed that the further if evergreen branch from the center of the screen the more dotted and gridded it become.

Catalyst 13.2 beta 4, Asus 7950.

I have this same problem with white dots on trees/bushes with my 6950 2GB. I'm already using a profile in Radeon Pro to disable Surface Format Optimisation for A2 but haven't tried forcing AF. I can't afford to lose any fps though, as I already get 17-25fps under certain circumstances, so maybe I should try re-enabling SFO in case that's affecting my framerates. From what MMrTT says disabling it and forcing AF doesn't fix the problem anyway.

So is disablling AF, AA and ATOC in-game the only way to prevent them (and not have other horrible problems or low framerates)?

Running Cat 12.6.

I already have Cat AI set to High Quality in CCC and still get white dots with my 6950 unless I disable AA, AF and ATOC. I'm using Radeon Pro though, which has this in the profile for Arma2.

<Property name="CatalystAI" value="1" />

so I'm not sure if that sets it to something lower than High Quality or is a simple on/off toggle.

Updated to Cat 13.2beta7 and now there's no Catalyst AI setting shown in CCC anymore.

With AA, AF and ATOC on it does reduce the white dots but I still see them quite often.

http://www.abload.de/thumb/dotsk6dvc.jpg

This one worked perfectly for me. Many many thanks man. Can also say that forcing AF on CCC gave me a fps hit like others got but when i just turned up the quality it all went fine. Have a Sapphire 7850 1gb edition