species1571

Deadly Islands mod (10th Anniversary Edition)

Something is wrong with the link, is anyone else getting a problem with it?

Don't know what happened to it, I have moved it to the top of the first post. Here is the link:

Download page HERE

Thanks for letting me know. If you play the campaign to the end with the mod, I'd be keen to hear how you got on with it.

From Frontier to Outpost the game becomes tricky. You get scripted fuel and are not allowed to move the carrier or build fuel. So when you dock damaged walruses with low fuel after completing Frontier, the carrier fuel might no be enough to reach Outpost. It is simple to avoid by rearing and refuelling before docking. After Outpost you can produce fuel, so the issue is limited.

I recognized that manual timewarp can confuse the campaign script, e.g. when you enter manual timewarp and then hit "set sail" to next island scripted events can go wrong, trying to reload prior game state then crashes CC. One time somehow I got the full item list for production when arriving at Outpost. Another time the enabling did not happen at all.

Thanks for letting me know. If you play the campaign to the end with the mod, I'd be keen to hear how you got on with it.

From Frontier to Outpost the game becomes tricky. You get scripted fuel and are not allowed to move the carrier or build fuel. So when you dock damaged walruses with low fuel after completing Frontier, the carrier fuel might no be enough to reach Outpost. It is simple to avoid by rearing and refuelling before docking. After Outpost you can produce fuel, so the issue is limited.

I recognized that manual timewarp can confuse the campaign script, e.g. when you enter manual timewarp and then hit "set sail" to next island scripted events can go wrong, trying to reload prior game state then crashes CC. One time somehow I got the full item list for production when arriving at Outpost. Another time the enabling did not happen at all.

Thanks for letting me know. As long as there's nothing game-breaking that can't be gotten around, that's fine. The one crash you got I believe is the bug in CCGM which crashes the game any time you load a savegame while in timewarp. The mod fixes this bug, but only for the strategy game. The full item list you got I assume was when you reached the number of islands set in the customization options for unlocking all production (default is 50% of islands). This only triggers upon arriving at the next island and would not happen again in the same game.

Edited by Species1571

just wanted to check before i mess anything up but, the latest version of the mod, does it work with the latest (1.06) NON-beta of the game? :D

just wanted to check before i mess anything up but, the latest version of the mod, does it work with the latest (1.06) NON-beta of the game? :D

Yes, it is for both 1.06.0004 and 1.06.0011

Yes, it is for both 1.06.0004 and 1.06.0011

Hello togehter and hello Species1571,

first i will thanks for that great MOD, i played it several times since Version 1.07! And it is really great! But now i have a question about the torpedos. I tried to sink the third respawned carrier with Torpedos. And every time i fire them, my Manta will explode. In the vanilla i never had this Problem. Are in the mod any special Torpedo release parameters? When yes, please tell me that parameters. Normally i sink the enemy carriers with Tomahawks and rockets. But now i tried to make a fast end with it, because the enemy carrier take my Islands very fast.

Thanks for your help

Rubberduck1971

PS: Keep up the cool work! It is great!

Hi rubberduck1971, thanks for your comments. There is a problem with torpedoes in the current CCGM v1.06. It is not mod related, as I have tried a new game without the mod and it still happens. I posted a thread about this in the troubleshooting section, as I saw people were also talking about it on the Steam forums.

Hi rubberduck1971, thanks for your comments. There is a problem with torpedoes in the current CCGM v1.06. It is not mod related, as I have tried a new game without the mod and it still happens. I posted a thread about this in the troubleshooting section, as I saw people were also talking about it on the Steam forums.

Dear Species 1571,

thank you for the quick answer

rubberduck1971

Hi Species!

I think I am totally missing the early warning "carrier is approaching" messages.

I only receive the messages that - later - the carrier is "still in range".

All other messages are working, but I haven't seen a "carrier is approaching" signal for a week.

Momentarily, I have almost all of the islands taken, and the game (Strategy) is a new one (since latest version and latest patch).

I will check it out again after next gamestart, but maybe someone else expieriences the same.

Cheers, Amadeus

I think you are right. I will look at this in the morning. Thanks.

• Like 1

I think I am totally missing the early warning "carrier is approaching" messages.

This has now been fixed, please download again.

• Like 1

Updated to v1.14:

-Customization options can now be set via in-game menu. Default access to the menu is either the F12 key or the Deadly Islands button on the map screen, but you can choose to have one or both of these methods. The forcing of island unit control (previously by pressing the F12 key) is now an item on the Quick Options menu page, as is unit-to-unit refuelling mode, which was previously done by double tapping the K key. Clicking apply on the menu will save the options to disk and they will be loaded the next time you start the game. This removes the need to edit the ccgame.c file, which now only sets the defaults in case the config file fails to load. Note, the first time you run the mod, you will get a message about the config file not being found. This will not happen after the first time you apply menu changes.

-Carrier deck guns can now be individually configured on the Quick Options menu page. When a gun is delivered to the carrier, it will now be placed in carrier storage for quick switching later. Any guns you already have on the carrier before running the mod will be removed from the deck and placed into carrier storage for you automatically. A couple of notes about this feature: When delivering guns by barque, do not attempt to deliver two guns for the same position at the same time, e.g shell and plasma, or one will be lost. The addition of this function does mean that ammo is effectively unlimited by switching weapons. If you strip all guns from the carrier while a gun is selected, a graphical glitch will occur until you switch views.

-When you have five guns on the carrier, the mod will automatically correct a problem in the game which sometimes prevents the AI from firing guns. Not saying this is perfect, as there are still some limits of the AI regarding the angles at which it will fire the guns, but having five guns should give you a big improvement to the chances of the guns firing. The enemy carrier will also have this fix if it has five guns.

-Deck guns have had their angle limits adjusted for improved targetting ability. The front cannon can now turn to almost 90 degrees. Be careful when using flaks in the front positions, as the increased angles make it possible to fire into the water behind you, which can cause damage. If you prefer not to have this change, just delete the db folder from the deadlyislands folder.

-Additional messages for the supply barque when it arrives back at the stockpile island, or becomes stuck near to your location (feature request by Amadeus75).

-Additional bonus blueprint can now be unlocked at islands which have a research facility. To get the bonus, drive one of your carrier walruses as close to the building as possible and point to it on the map. Of course, there is no guarantee it has a blueprint you don't already have, and you will be told if this is the case. I noticed that sometimes the research icon is not visible while the island is still enemy controlled, so you can do this before or after capturing the island. Due to the addition of this feature, the default setting for unlocking all blueprints has been increased to 100% of islands (feature request by Megaheat).

-Added option for onboard refuelling mode. Similar to the unit-to-unit refuelling mode selection, this allows you to disable refuelling and/or repairing of units docked at the carrier when the fuel management system is active.

-Added option to toggle the main HUD elements on and off with the F11 key. There are two options for this: Hold and Toggle. By default this is set to Hold, as this is most useful when you only want to take a quick screenshot without the HUD.

-Added options to remove the animated bridge crew background and scrolling lines from the map screen. This can give a big performace boost on the map screen as well as making it clearer. These options are disabled by default.

-Added option to have waypoint markers flashing for higher visibility when controlling units. This option is disabled by default, as it will probably only be used by a minority of players, for example if you have poor vision or you just find difficulty locating waypoints against terrain.

-Added an enemy carrier exclusion zone option. With this option enabled, the enemy carrier will not be allowed in range of your carrier. This may be useful for players who find they cannot continue past a certain point in the game due to the enemy carrier, or if you just prefer to play a game with no carrier battles. This option is disabled by default.

-Added a role reversal option. When this option is confirmed, you will switch progress and location with the enemy carrier. This may be useful when you are about to finish a game but want to play on without starting from scratch. For obvious reasons, this option is for strategy mode only, and will not work in campaign mode.

-Added a straight-down camera angle for mantas by holding the left ALT key. This is useful for aiming bombs and torpedoes (feature request by Rob04).

-Fixed an issue I noticed since the last CCGM beta that would sometimes cause a manta to explode when trying to refuel it from empty with a walrus.

Thanks to Newtie for making the database tool which made the gun angle improvements possible, and to Rob04 for continued playtesting and reporting issues.

Download page HERE

Edited by Species1571
  • Like 1

As always, another fantastic update to a fantastic mod. Thanks.

As always, another fantastic update to a fantastic mod. Thanks.

I have to agree simply amazing please continue the work on this superb game.

I have to agree simply amazing please continue the work on this superb game.

Awesome work Species!

Updated to v1.14:

-Additional bonus blueprint can now be unlocked at islands which have a research facility. To get the bonus, drive one of your carrier walruses as close to the building as possible and point to it on the map. Of course, there is no guarantee it has a blueprint you don't already have, and you will be told if this is the case. I noticed that sometimes the research icon is not visible while the island is still enemy controlled, so you can do this before or after capturing the island. Due to the addition of this feature, the default setting for unlocking all blueprints has been increased to 100% of islands (feature request by Megaheat).

Unfortunately this did not work for me on Avernus . My walrus was closest possible to the research station but nothing happened when I clicked the research station on the map

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Unfortunately this did not work for me on Avernus . My walrus was closest possible to the research station but nothing happened when I clicked the research station on the map

omg I had the wrong version :( so only my fault sorry for the post, it works perfectly

Edited by Parmenides

Hi,

the Mod is really great and it adds a lot to the game. I just have the following comments:

- the manta "straight line" landing provided by the mod looks broken. the mantas look like they are suddenly on "air rails" and they still move to fast and not smooth.

- why is the carrier refuelling by islands so slow? i think it is reasonable for docks to provide carrier fuel at usable speeds.

- why is island carrier refuelling not sped up by time warp? time warp should speed up everything (as it does with building, repairing etc), and it does not make sense that refuiling does not speed up.

- the carrier refuiling on island should use the walrus refuiling/refueling done - sounds

- i wonder what purpose the sloooow refuiling has? what problem does it solve? i am not waiting 20 minutes real-time for the carrier to refuel.

- the new in-dock views for mantas and walruses are very nice, but i would prefer if it was a static view for mantas (as it is for single walruses) as it adds to reality. a circling view would need a circling camera and it dives through the ship walls on launch and dock.

- the usage of rocket launchers as turrets on islands looks funny if the spot used to be a smaller mg turret only, such as above entry-pathways for structures. the rocket launcer looks as if it should fall over from the blowback.

but bottom line is: excellent work and very nicely done!

it does work nice on the steam version btw.

- faber42

- the manta "straight line" landing provided by the mod looks broken. the mantas look like they are suddenly on "air rails" and they still move to fast and not smooth.

It might not be perfect, but it should be reasonably smooth and at the correct speed. If you fly a manta with the same armor alongside one that's docking, they should be around the same speed. My objective was not for it to look pretty, but to be functional, and make it so that you could just hit dock and move onto something else without worrying about the manta taking some strange route to the carrier, and I think it achieves that. There was quite a bit of tricky maths (not my best subject) involved in making them turn and move in the correct direction, so I'm fairly happy with the result.

- why is the carrier refuelling by islands so slow? i think it is reasonable for docks to provide carrier fuel at usable speeds.

How long do you think a real aircraft carrier would take to refuel? The idea is that you park up at an island while you go to work capturing the island, and to provide an offset to the fuel you use on flying and repairing units in the process. 30 minutes for a full refuel is about right compared to the time for units to refuel at the carrier, and you don't always need to be getting completely filled.

- why is island carrier refuelling not sped up by time warp? time warp should speed up everything (as it does with building, repairing etc), and it does not make sense that refuiling does not speed up.

Same reason, it is not intended as a cheat just to save you having to produce any fuel, more as a reward for using the fuel management system. If you are sitting in timewarp at an island, you are not using unit fuel.

- the carrier refuiling on island should use the walrus refuiling/refueling done - sounds

The problem is that when it gets to 100% and you have units refuelling, it would be constantly starting and stopping which would get annoying. Also, the sounds would be audible even if you were flying a unit on the other side of the island. You are provided with on-screen prompts instead of sounds, but if you want, I'll look at adding sounds as well.

- the new in-dock views for mantas and walruses are very nice, but i would prefer if it was a static view for mantas (as it is for single walruses) as it adds to reality. a circling view would need a circling camera and it dives through the ship walls on launch and dock.

The rotating views don't break the realism any more than the exterior camera of the carrier, or third person views of units, which would also require a floating camera. The camera passing through the deck should barely be noticeable in most situations, and you would have to be looking for it. You also have the option to enable the alternate views only for walruses if you prefer.
- the usage of rocket launchers as turrets on islands looks funny if the spot used to be a smaller mg turret only, such as above entry-pathways for structures. the rocket launcer looks as if it should fall over from the blowback.
They are strongly welded in place using future tech :). The mod doesn't place turrets individually based on where they are on each island, it just sees them as a list of locations and places them accordingly. There is also the option to use the default turrets.

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative.

Ok, i see your point about refuelling now, but i still think time-warp should speed it up (as it does with everything else; and it's not cheating as the enemy carrier is sped up too).

One other point: i have the island difficulty set by the mod to "deadly". however this applies only to enemy island and not to mine, which means that when i come to the rescue to an island that is currently attacked by the enemy carrier, all i have there for islands units are unprotected mantas with machine guns. thats like throwing stones at the enemy mantas. my mantas only last seconds. would it be reasonable to "up" the own islands difficulty as well so that islands mantas are up to the task of defending against enemy carrier mantas and walrusses?

that the refuiling sound is audible even when piloting a manta remotely on the island wouild not break realism, as the mantas are controlled remotely and the pilot is considered sitting in the captains chair on the carrier itself. constantly going on/off is something i would assume the script could avoid. i think the current indication for refuelling is just a little minimalistic. btw. do you think it would be good if the "refuilling zone" around the pier would be bigger? currently i have to "dive in" the carrier nose almost (or sometimes actually) into the pier building, (ab-) using the fact that it does not collide.

i hope you don't see my posings as negative review. i like the mod very much and appreciate that you made it. the fuel management section is excelent and being able to switch carrier weapons is top! having an in-game GUI for the mod is the best.

btw in one game i never bought gattling guns for the carrier, only flak, but after reloading a saved game it fittet gattlings to the carrier. but it allowed me to switch back to flaks and the gattlings were gone. so no big deal.

and if you happend to add another optional static hangar view for mantas the mod it would be even better :)

- faber42