species1571

Deadly Islands mod (10th Anniversary Edition)

Love the this mod, it adds a hell of a lot more to the game than I at first thought.

One thing that I am finding more than a problem with the mod is the speed at which the enemy carrier can take my islands, is crazy. It took 2 of my islands before I could travel a small space between my islands. There is no way it can be coming up against any defenses.

Skip that. I think it was my fault. I had 'int di_island_turret_upgrades' set to 6, which I think disables my turrets. I will try again. Some of the descriptions are hard to understand.

Can I disable 'int di_force_production_items =50' by reming it out?

As Species said, turrets will be irrelevant to the time it takes for the enemy carrier to take your island. This is related to the issue I've been really disappointed with about things happening away from your carrier not being at least considered in real time. Let the enemy carrier attack one of your 'weak' islands and then arrive at that island and watch what happens. The enemy carrier units will just get spawned at a pre-determined spot on the island (usually quite far from the enemy carrier) and will just fight the targets local to them. They will then just sit there - they will never actually take your island!

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Question: In the vanilla game you say that the enemy capturing your islands is time based, I didn't know this, that's a bit of a cheat on the games part, and a bit of a disappointment. The thing is, I have seen the enemy fail at taking my islands and move on. Is there some random factor involved here?

Bah!! I can't do this. By the time I have captured all of the firewalls on a island, and I'm not all that slow, the enemy has captured 2 or 3 of my islands. It's not much fun or point playing against a cheating AI, to many games these days do this, and it sucks.

What will almost always happen when arriving to defend a friendly island is that your island's defences will destroy the carrier's units in under 30 seconds. Once the carrier's units are destroyed it will flee to re-supply.

My advice to you on playing the game when it's this hard is to destroy the enemy carrier, and THEN attack one of his islands. Hopefully you would have almost taken the island by the time he re-spawns, and then you're ready to defend against an attack again, and then take another island and so on. This mod adds a LOT of naval combat into the game :-) it's necessary in order to win.

Also when an island is under attack, don't forget to change the islands around it to defence, as it's likely he'll move onto one of those afterwards

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Updated to v1.10:

-Added the ability for unit-to-unit refuelling and repair. Mantas can refuel/repair walruses and walruses can refuel/repair mantas. To refuel and/or repair a unit, hover the manta over the walrus until you hear the activation sound. There may be times when you wish to either only refuel or only repair a unit, so there is a mode selection which can be changed by double-tapping the K key. There are customization options to allow you to configure what fuel levels are required for refuelling and repairing to be possible. Note that when refuelling a unit, there is a 10% spillage factor for any fuel transferred. Repairing a unit has double the fuel cost compared to refuelling, so repairing a unit by 10% will cost 20% of the other unit's fuel, and you cannot repair a unit while it is completely out of fuel. To allow mantas to be refuelled, they will no longer automatically self-destruct when out of fuel. Instead, they will receive 95% damage and remain invincible until they get their first drop of fuel.

-Added ability for walruses to self-repair up to a configurable level at the expense of fuel. Again, the fuel cost will be double the amount of the repair amount. This is intended to avoid walruses getting into a critical repair level where one stray bullet will destroy them, so walruses will not care how much fuel they have to use to get to their target repair level. Walrus self-repair will be 4 times slower than getting the repair from a manta, and a beeping sound will indicate when a walrus is self-repairing.

-Added two customization options to allow finer control of how the mod increases island defence ratings (feature requested by forum member atroublestarter). The first option is the number of levels of defence rating an island receives when the increase is applied. For example, a setting of 1 will increase weak islands to normal, strong to very strong and very strong to deadly. A setting of 5 makes all islands deadly. The other option allows the mod's turret setup only to be used on islands over a certain defence rating, otherwise un-modded turrets will be used. The defaults of these options will cause the same behaviour as previous versions of the mod.

-Fixes:

-Fixed an issue that would cause enemy carrier respawning not to properly disable when the correct customization option was set (thanks to Rob04 for reporting this).

-Fixed an issue that would cause the game to crash when loading a saved game in which the enemy carrier had already been destroyed without the mod running.

-Fixed an error that would cause the long range surveillance upgrade to repeatedly enable and disable under certain circumstances (thanks to atroublestarter for reporting this).

-Fixed a situation where enemy carrier units would appear (sometimes invisibly) at an island even when the enemy carrier was not there, and fire effects being left behind on some islands (not centain that this was mod related).

-Fixed a random (about 1 in 60) chance that a crash would occur when loading from one game to another if a unit which existed in the first game did not exist in the loaded game.

Compatibility remains for the 1.05.0026 beta as well as the recent 1.05 update.

Download page HERE, or go directly to the file HERE

Absolutely amazing as usual Species ;-) thanks!

The enemy carrier units will just get spawned at a pre-determined spot on the island (usually quite far from the enemy carrier) and will just fight the targets local to them. They will then just sit there - they will never actually take your island!

What will almost always happen when arriving to defend a friendly island is that your island's defences will destroy the carrier's units in under 30 seconds. Once the carrier's units are destroyed it will flee to re-supply.

Leaving the di_enemy_present_no_turrets option enabled will help against this. I have actually had islands be captured from me while trying to take his units out with this option enabled.

Leaving the di_enemy_present_no_turrets option enabled will help against this. I have actually had islands be captured from me while trying to take his units out with this option enabled.

Just today I was trying to prevent him taking one of my islands and was battling with his manta's when he took the island from me. This was in a un-modded game.

this mod is a must have for any CC player. Thank you very much.

I'm just replaying the campaign which becomes much more challenging. Specifically the first half (before taking Fulcrum) where you have to "live" with basic equipment.

I suggest to change the campaign script to enable building of Manta medium armor and Laser and Walrus Gatling after taking Granite or Vatland.

You are welcome, thanks for your comments.

I haven't played the campaign since working on the mod, so it is mainly for the strategy game. Remember you can use the options to unlock production of items whenever you want.

I am not really into the naval battles in the CCgm, there is not much to them. I'm more into finding different and more efficient ways to defeat islands. It's been a long time, but in the original I seem to remember that the enemy carrier would always run away when ever you got anywhere near it, only attacking at the end of the game. It would be great if you could make a mod to replicate this.

Updated to v1.11:

-Mantas can now successfully dock on autopilot when the carrier is moving.

-Island units on friendly islands can now be controlled by clicking on them on the map. Island units have infinite fuel but not infinite health or ammo. If you find that units cannot be selected, enter manual timewarp for a couple of seconds and this should make them available. Units should always be controllable when the enemy carrier is present. This means that when you arrive at an island under attack, you can jump straight into defending your island before your carrier units arrive.

-When using unit-to-unit refuelling or repairing, or walrus self-repair, customization settings will now be ignored if the walrus has had a near-full fuel tank in the last 30 seconds. This means you can now fully repair and refuel mantas on an island by using a walrus at a refuelling station. Also, mantas and walruses will no longer refuel or repair if the walrus is being carried on a hook.

-Early Warning System and Long Range Surveillance now require the control tower to be repaired to at least 95% in order to receive messages. A warning will be displayed if a message has been missed.

-The two carriers will no longer be able to run through each other during battle.

-Added a warning when the carrier is detected drifting sideways. You should rarely see this other than when you sail too close to an island and get propelled away.

-Slightly increased the minimum time before an enemy carrier respawn is possible.

• Like 1

Another great update. Thanks, Species!

After updating to 1.06 Beta, the Deadly Island Mod won't start.

Is there something I can fix on my own, or is it a general compatibility issue?

Hi Amadeus.

I had a new update which was getting near completion, then they sprung yesterday's beta on us which made it incompatible. I am still working on getting things back working again, and I have it working now, but since there were big changes in this beta, it is going to need some more checking.

Thanks for all your enthusiasm, Species!

Good to hear you are working on it - your goodies are absolutely worth waiting for.

Good luck!

Just today I was trying to prevent him taking one of my islands and was battling with his manta's when he took the island from me. This was in a un-modded game.

I've never ever had this :-( the units either die in seconds, or beat my defences local to them and just hold position.... will have to do more testing

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

Hi Amadeus.

I had a new update which was getting near completion, then they sprung yesterday's beta on us which made it incompatible. I am still working on getting things back working again, and I have it working now, but since there were big changes in this beta, it is going to need some more checking.

fantastic work! I was coming on here only to let you know that since the game update the mod no longer launches, but it appears you already know. It seems they've added their own HUD display in third person mode now, and I remember that your mod adds this also, so i'm guessing that's one of the things you're going to be looking at but then again, you probably already know that too as you are on the ball ;-) lol

Thanks. Yes, I saw they added those displays, but I'll leave them in as I think they look neater. There is always the option to disable them anyway.

Hi Species - don't know if it's important...

But yesterday I continued the game via the "normal" 1.06-exe (without including the mod folder) - and I can still control friendly-island-based units.

Has BI started to implement your work, or is your mod folder somehow 'alive'? ;-)

Besides, I noticed: when controlling a friendly-island-based walrus, its fuel exhaust is extremely high.

Since the "island walruses" in 'deadly islands' had unlimited fuel, I guess this is "BI-made" this time, although it's not mentioned in the changelog.

Please keep it up... I want the instant messages back, as well as the respawn and the dockable drones :-)

(I guess your coffee maker is running overtime ;-))

Are you sure? I don't see anything in the files to believe they have added this. I just started a new game and the units weren't controllable, although I do notice they now say what weapon they have, I haven't noticed that before. As it's the same game you resumed from, it may just be a leftover from when you had the mod running, and starting a new game or maybe just going to another island would reset it.

Yes, I am sure, although it appears quite random.

I take an island -> I can control the units.

I warp away and come back -> the function is gone.

Of course, a "leftover" sounds plausible enough to me, since I am in the middle of an existing game.

Updated to v1.12:

-Mantas now have the ability to fly in a straight line to the carrier when the dock command is issued. This avoids mantas taking some strange routes and flying around the island and into danger when docking. With this option enabled, the mod will now also control the landing of mantas on the deck, as the AI is often very slow at doing this. If a manta receives damage while on its way to the carrier, and it has over 20% fuel, it will enter overdrive for 5 seconds, during which it will burn a significant amount of fuel to give it a boost of thrust. Overdrive can be disabled in the customization options if you prefer not to have it.

-Alternate camera angles for docked units, with additional camera angles for a wider view of the hangar when multiple units are selected at the same time. Additional camera angles for mantas landing on the deck.

-Scout drone can now be manually controlled using the W/A/S/D/Q/Z keys.

-Scout drone now has an additional camera angle which can be toggled by pressing C while viewing the drone camera. This camera can be controlled independently of the drone's movement by pressing the W/A/S/D keys. The Q/Z keys will align the camera to the front or rear of the drone (feature requested by forum member Rob04).

-Units will not be immediately destroyed when abandoning them to go to another island. Instead, they will be destroyed when you arrive at the other island. This gives you the chance to change your mind and go back for them if you haven't gone too far, and they haven't been out of telemetry for too long.

-Mod functions which were previously only available in the strategy game are now also available in the campaign, with the exception of enemy carrier respawn, which is still only available in the strategy game.

-Compatibility now requires CCGM beta version 1.06.0004

Thanks to Rob04 for helping me test the changes in this update.

Edit: Island unit control will not be available if you have any island conversion in progress.

Edited by Species1571
  • Like 1

This forum definitely needs a "thank you" button.

Highest appreciation, Species, perfect job !!

The docking view is fantastic... and the surveillance drone - which I hardly ever used - will now belong to my standard tools :-)

I made a small update to the file to fix a couple of minor issues.

-Island unit control will not become enabled if any of your islands are changing type or your stockpile is moving. If you are at a friendly island and you are sure your current island is not changing, you can now manually enable unit control by pressing F12.

-Message log will not fill up with "New achievement" messages when using timewarp at a friendly island.

If you already downloaded v1.12, please download it again.

Download page HERE

Edited by Species1571

WOW WOW WOW MY Brother you just made this game playable for me again i love all the new camera angles just genius still not a free camera but i can live with this bohemia needs to hire you to do some more work

WOW WOW WOW MY Brother you just made this game playable for me again i love all the new camera angles just genius still not a free camera but i can live with this bohemia needs to hire you to do some more work

Thanks a lot, much appreciated. I'm glad it is adding to your enjoyment of the game.