Sign in to follow this  
RichardCranium

Periodic display slowdowns

I was wondering if anyone else had seen recent periodic slowdowns of the game under Windows 7 (64 bit) with NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT cards in SLI mode?

This is a recent annoyance that has only shown up this year. Most of the time, the game runs smooth as silk with no graphic slowdown. At periodic intervals, the graphical updates slow down to an utter crawl then speed back up. I've ensured that my drivers are up-to-date but that did not appear to help.

Maybe NVIDIA put some easter eggs in the driver to encourage people to upgrade their hardware. :D

I get it occasionally on vista x64 with my 8800GTS cards in sli where it drops down to a slideshow. Usually during island combat and there's usually a certain point where you destroy something and it clears up.

Does this for me depending on the weather, or at least I think it is. If its not the weather it could be memory leaks, relating to graphics memory that clear up when they get flushed.

Does this for me depending on the weather, or at least I think it is. If its not the weather it could be memory leaks, relating to graphics memory that clear up when they get flushed.

I can't say that I've seen any real pattern. I thought that perhaps the slowdown was due to the enemy carrier arriving at an island (not the one that I might be at) and the system was busy cranking up all the objects over there, somewhat like what happens when *I* show up at an island.

But, in my current strategic game, the enemy carrier is sitting on the ocean bottom. I'm still getting the slowdowns, sometimes while I'm in time warp between islands. I noticed that the sound effects of, say, Manta plasma fire slowing down while the annoying messages of the crew are at standard speed.

Speaking of annoying messages, I wish there was a duct tape mod for Male Tech Dork. I'd probably put it over both his nose and mouth; especially after he points out the scrambler on the other end of the *bleeping* island instead of the one that's right in front of the carrier.

I wish there was a duct tape mod for Male Tech Dork. I'd probably put it over both his nose and mouth; especially after he points out the scrambler on the other end of the *bleeping* island instead of the one that's right in front of the carrier.

I have incorporated this into my Deadly islands mod.

Duh. One of the card's fans was stuck, so the card would overheat after a few minutes.

I cleaned the cat hair out of the card's fan, made sure it would start spinning at powerup, and things are back to normal.