FredAirland

Advanced Flight Model based on HTR

Hi,

I am Fred from www.hovercontrol.com, I am the coder behind Helicopter Total Realism (HTR) an FSX physics add on for helicopters tested and used by several real pilots.

I am releasing modified flight dynamics files based on HTR parameter calculations and adapted to Rotorlib.

Here's my first release for the "light" helicopter based on the FSX MD Helicopter. I mostly worked on the moments of inertia and rotor reaction, I also tried to change the velocity envelope parameters, those are currently commented in the XML files, but you can check those too by uncommenting by DragDueToAoA part and commenting the default one...

just unzip to your TKOH root directory, it will update/add files under your Hsim folder (maybe back it up before unzipping my files)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7457035/Fred_HSim1.zip

I plan to add medium and heavy in the next few weeks.

EDIT

Here's the link to the medium profile, see page 2 of this post for detailed info

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7457035/HSimMedium.zip

if you downladed this before february 3rd, redownload the updated version, the old version is still there as an "old" file

Unfortunately there's no way to change some beaviours like translational lift, vortex ring state, translating tendency, retreating blade stall, blowback, tail rotor stall etc... but I believe the "pleasure to fly" and realism is really improved...

Let me know what you think

EDIT NOV 12 2017

UPDATED LINKS

LIGHT

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55hzdxts3uak4q0/Fred_HSim1.zip?dl=0

MEDIUM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wghmq5xdqvu99we/HSimMedium.zip?dl=0

Bye

Fred

Edited by fred64

Great Fred!!! I can't wait to test this!!!

I will update with feedback when I have a chance to fly the new model.

EDIT:

Wow! For the first time since I installed TOH, I actually have command of my helicopter. The cyclic is light and responsive. I am able to control slow speed maneuvers with authority.

It seems as though I don't need to pull as much pitch as I thought I would need to achieve lift off, but it may be due to load out. The feedback feels correct, I slowly add left pedal as I bring the collective up, you can sense getting light on the skids, add a touch of forward left cyclic, and....amazing! Lift off into a stable, controllable IGE hover. Translational lift, as you mentioned is absent, I was not able to gain lift by increasing forward speed past ETL without an increase in collective pitch. However, tail rotor effectiveness/efficiency seems more correct. I was able to relax left pedal input past 40 knts IAS and have neutral pedals at cruise. Heavy flaring for quick stops required large amounts of right pedal as you would expect.

Keep it up Fred!!!

This is by far the best flight experience yet with TOH!!!

Edited by zentaos

BLOODY HELL! Need to reinstal TOH ASAP!

I can't wait to try this! How exactly do I install it though? I don't see a HSim folder in my main directory?

I can't wait to try this! How exactly do I install it though? I don't see a HSim folder in my main directory?

I believe It was already there in my installation, try unzipping to the main folder, the directory will be created

I'm excited to try this out, but is it easily reversible if I want to play it vanilla again?

I'm excited to try this out, but is it easily reversible if I want to play it vanilla again?

Just rename the .xml file in hsim// to .old or cancel it...

Just installed it and WOW! like Zentaos said, I now have much more control over my chopper and the cyclic feels much more responsive. Keep up the good work :)

This edit is definitely an improvement over the default v1.06 update. I say its a close tie with the default v1.04 update, if my memory is correct.

wow, very interesting! downloading this to check it out. sounds like something special!

Hello. I din't fly toh for a while now, but after trying this physics, I am hooked again. Awesome job! Fred, do You think You could make an external phycis module such as fsx htr for toh, or arma in general? I am asking because this engine has a lot of potential gameplay wise, with proper physics it can be a lot of fun. For our needs we don't need whole globe map, so the only issue are the lack of atc (can be probably made with mods), not single helicopter with complete systems simmulation (can be done with modding) and poor weather engine (stuck with what we have). However if we accept to overlook these for now we can have something to play with. Not to mention upcoming Arma 3.

I'd love to do that, as I believe there's a lot of potential there too, graphics are very good (especially on a powerful computer) and the mission planner is extremely powerful. Unfortunately I believe there's no support for third pary libraries.

If anyone can tell me who shall I contact in Bohemia I believe there's a market for a more realistic sim, based on TKOH and HTR....

Bye

Fred

Hi

I personally have no idea who should You contact (apart from simply making a thread http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?59-BOHEMIA-INTERACTIVE-GENERAL), but I am sure that guys from BiS are here on the forums. If no one contacted You so far, I guess they are not interested. HOWEVER there is a 3rd party WWII shooter based on this engine. Maybe they'd be interested in a commercial module (I am not sure what's Your approach- freeware HTR like, or a completely separate product/ full feature addon).

BTW Developing a proper heli sim within Bis engine would benefit VBS. I know for a fact, that there is a need for such capability. I helped to evaluate options for merging VBS with external helicopter sim due to lack of possibility to use VBS with fully featured helicopter simulator.

Edited by SamB

Fred, most likely someone from BIS has been through this thread at some point. I think they are pretty busy right now with Arma3, DayZ, etc but they still will answer addon developer's questions if possible. My advice would be to ask specific questions in the "editing and scripting" sub forum and you'll probably get a response. I think they would really like to foster some modding for TOH but I wouldn't expect them to make changes to the game engine if that's what you're thinking.

Yes BIS is reading threads indeed... thanks

I have posted a new profile for the medium helicopter, please download it here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7457035/HSimMedium.zip

and let me know what you think

To use just unzip to TKOH main folder it will not overwrite the previous profile

The flight model is inspired from the HTR Hovercontrol Bell 412 model for FSX

Except for the ground effect issue (helicopter climbs progressively so you have to lower collective to stop climbing when close to the ground) which I believe cannot been solved in XML only I thnk it is quite realistic.

I also changed the air resistance at midrange angle of attack to make it a little faster and the moments of inertia that possibly did not factor the gyroscope effect...

Enjoy

Fred

Edited by fred64

I am going to try it tommorow. Did BiS contact You? Also I have another question- is it possible to make default arma 2 littlebird use Your improved physics in any way in TOH?

Thanks

fred64 Many thanks from the Russian wing. Now we can actually control the helicopter. We hope to continue your work.

We will make a video with your mod.

Fred, You medium heli physics are even more amazing than that for light heli! I remember being nothing but flustrated with how medium behaved before, now with Your mod it actually is fun to fly!!! THANK YOU!

Just one thing I've noticed- I am not sure if it isn't actually realistic, but while I am slowing down helicopter just drops onto the ground upon putting collective fully down pretty much no matter how fast I am flying and how much cyclic I apply. Now when I think about it I can imagine it could cause some problems with autorotations?

And one more thing- (I can do it myself if I get some kind of instructions) just as with light heli- if I own TOH with reloaded patch, and Arma 2 Arrowhead is it any way to make default littlebird, or let's say Huey use advanced TOH physics? I don't like these fictional frames even if they have switches default arma models lack...

Hi SamB

yes I have been contacted,

regarding medium download again the same file for the medium (just check xml is dated feb 3rd) I changed the lift dynamics and now the helicopter does not sink anymore and autos are possible. I fiddled with the helicopter lift coefficients as I believe rotor lift is independent from velocity in RotorLib....

A also have reloaded and A2 AO but I believe this is not possible in A2 but will be possible in A3, possibily the Huey could be ported or used in TKOH, as well as the helicopters you can find in Challenges, Army showcase scenario, but I will need help from a more experienced modder to do that.

Thank You Fred!

Have a nice day!

EDIT: I started to search some info on using Arma models with TOH physics, and here is what I found. Basically... It was actually done to some point! Here is link:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133427-Community-Helicopter-Initiative-MOD-(CHI)/page4

Edited by SamB

How do I install this? I don't seem to have a Hsim folder in my root game folder.

Just put it there and run the game, that's it!