Sign in to follow this  
Oshi7

Stream safe UI

Well we all said that about the trigger finger flexing when you fire the weapon back in the pre-ArmA1 days, but somehow that made it into the game too...

Small changes like this can go a long way in helping a games' proliferation. :)

Because that was realistic, this is a UI fix. Big difference in trying to sell your game to be real simulation and realistic with trigger flex, compared to UI cater to streamer community.

Because that was realistic, this is a UI fix. Big difference in trying to sell your game to be real simulation and realistic with trigger flex, compared to UI cater to streamer community.

Let me explain to you how the world of video media and gaming work.

Streaming/Videos=Viewers

Viewers=Customers

Customers=Profit+Popularity

Profit+Popularity=Continuation of series

Actually I'm streaming Wasteland, which is a mission type for Arma 2. And yes, whilst there are many more important things to work on, this is a relatively simple fix that could be done to help popularize Arma 3 (much like Wasteland and DayZ have done).

My friends and I all stream and make youtube videos of DayZ and Wasteland and have probably done a lot to help put Arma 2 out there and made it sell as well as it has. Sacriel, DaSquirrelsNuts and myself have 60k, 30k and 17k subscribers respectively and its all free advertising for the game.

I know Wasteland and DayZ probably get looked down on amongst people who play things like ACE etc. But having a larger demographic and selling more copies can never hurt the game, only help it. A big part of that is doing small things for streamers, such as not displaying key information such as player names in the gear menu or map, having the option to turn on or off the bottom left chat box etc. Nothing major, just simple things. Right now we have to cover up huge amounts of the screen in order just to play.

Some popular live streamers do delays, I think twitch has a 10 minute delay option or something. That would definitely help you.

The first couple of weeks of DayZ were full of fresh and intriguing gameplay. Then the gates opened. To be sure, the influx of new players - or maybe I should say customers - has been a great benefit in some ways, but the majority seem to be pretty uninterested in (or oblivious to) the possibilities inherent in the core game.

^^

+1

While dayz did help Arma sells, but ironically, at what cost? Most play Arma because they love it, and 1 huge perk to playing Arma is (Was) to stay away from the BF/COD communities of kids. What's funny is when they eventually realize the entire scope of the game, overall. Then it's not "this dayz game" anymore, but they realize dayz is but a mod for the game...

@ Chortles: That's not a dirty secret. It's never been a secret that BI hasn't really cared about advertising. It doesn't suprise me that someone did advertising on the own spare time & it was very successful. If BI had already brought Arma to the mainstream, then dayz would have been just another mod.

Edited by Iceman77

I'm pretty sure blurring a certain spot of the video, or using it for banners/advertisements wouldn't do any harm. If you really want something like this to be done, then put it in this thread.

ArmA 3: Community wishes & ideas|NO DISCUSSION

^This

There are numerous ways to circumvent the problems. A 5 minute streaming delay, blurring the lower left corner of the screen etc.

I really don´t see this on BIS priority list. (If its only a few lines of code, then why not? But if it is more complicated than that? No.)

Delay = No real time interation with viewers. Dunno if it is a big deal to streamers.

I can't believe how opposed everyone is to such simple things, just because someones wants to stream the game. It's honestly the easiest fix and Rocket is already implementing it in DayZ so people can stream the game, help sell copies etc. It blows my minds how many are actively opposed to people streaming this game with any kind of popularity, possibly even relishing in the fact that Arma is relatively unknown. The comment about getting away from "COD kiddies" was particularly distasteful.

I can't believe how opposed everyone is to such simple things

Everyone? Stop focusing exclusively on the negative posts, mate. ;)

I can't believe how opposed everyone is to such simple things... ...It blows my minds how many are actively opposed to people streaming this game with any kind of popularity, possibly even relishing in the fact that Arma is relatively unknown. The comment about getting away from "COD kiddies" was particularly distasteful.

many of the loudest people in this "community" are so against change, its not even funny... You have to wonder how BI could ever improve anything without the hardcore complaining about it...

Fear not tho, I know that a lot of the devs are quite keen on this sort of thig, you only have to look at Zipper's Twitch feed to see that they are starting to get involved with this kind of thing. I think the experience will give them some good ideas ;)

Indeed.

True, I didn't mean everyone.

many of the loudest people in this "community" are so against change, its not even funny... You have to wonder how BI could ever improve anything without the hardcore complaining about it...

Indeed.

That's so true.

They missed the boat the moment BI brought in tactical pace and conventional FPS-like mouse acceleration and Jay Crowe started poking fun with the phrase "let's not be afraid of that word, 'streamlined'"... Mondkalb even went ahead and alluded to them being unable to see flaws in the engine (beyond their ideas) that non-fans would notice.

My still favorite Arma III preview quote snippet ever: "Bohemia has tightened up the shooting mechanics to make it feel much more like a traditional shooter when you’re on the ground; there’s a sense of responsive twitchiness to the infantry combat that ARMA has lacked before." :evil:

I have to admit though that I agree with those who say that there are ways to deal with the issue even with a real-time and with the existing UI for Arma 2 purposes, and my own "what I want BI to focus on first" priorities lie elsewhere.

Let me explain to you how the world of video media and gaming work.

And he just explained that this entire problem is avoidable with a simple blur or 2... I don't see why it's necessary for BI to do anything with the UI. Apparently, the streamers need to L2 use small blur boxes over data.

I like the maturity of the Arma Community but sometimes it is so up itself it is terrible.

The negativity towards what is a simple and effective suggestion is astounding. Its quite obvious those who are oppose it quiet obviously have no interest in streaming whatsoever and those suggesting blurring and such have no appreciation for stream quality.

This could be a far more significant addition to the game than some of you may think because of how many viewers a streamer can engage.

I watch Oshi, Chris and co and the amount of Stream Snipers they encounter is ridiculous. This is somewhat misleading because half of these tend to be running some sort of script as well, be it teleporting or invincibility. It kills the quality of the footage.

Covering up, or blurring is just a poor make shift solution. Quality streams want to cover as much information as possible. Delay is not an option for most either, especially for this lot because they interact with there community as they stream.

It would be a simple addition, and should be added. Whether it just hides information that people can use to find you, or alters it (Oshi7's name being displayed as Player6 #example)

If you really want to implement such things, even though blurring is nothing hard to do, and is just a few lines of codes, I don't see why this wouldn't be implemented but it has to be in the right thread. If it's more than a few lines of coding, I'm pretty sure this is the least priority thing Bohemia will do. My thoughts, I obviously do not have a say on what is priority or not :P.

Correct thread once again can be click here.

If you really want to implement such things, even though blurring is nothing hard to do, and is just a few lines of codes, I don't see why this wouldn't be implemented but it has to be in the right thread. If it's more than a few lines of coding, I'm pretty sure this is the least priority thing Bohemia will do. My thoughts, I obviously do not have a say on what is priority or not :P.

Correct thread once again can be click here.

If you're curious about how much of our screens we actually have to cover up in order to be relatively hidden then you can see a sample here:

http://www.twitch.tv/oshi7/b/359620288

Again, people keep saying "priorities" but it would be the most trivial thing in the development stages to do, much like Rocket has already done for DayZ Stand Alone.

If you're curious about how much of our screens we actually have to cover up in order to be relatively hidden then you can see a sample here:

http://www.twitch.tv/oshi7/b/359620288

Again, people keep saying "priorities" but it would be the most trivial thing in the development stages to do, much like Rocket has already done for DayZ Stand Alone.

Why is his face in the upper right of the screen? He could have moved it to the lower left=less waste of space. Why is that Logo in the lower right? Again waste of space.

Why is his face in the upper right of the screen? He could have moved it to the lower left=less waste of space. Why is that Logo in the lower right? Again waste of space.

Webcam top right to block the name of the server when you go to your map. Logo bottom right to block the names of people who are in the vehicle you are in (although I think that is more of a Wasteland thing). Huge chat box bottom left to block server messages or side chat (sometimes not big enough). Bar in the middle of screen to block name when in gear menu.

Streamers aren't stupid, they're not taking up screen real estate for no reason.

Also, if you die, you have about 0.5 seconds to switch scene on your stream software otherwise it'll show the scoreboard with every persons names and server name.

Webcam top right to block the name of the server when you go to your map. Logo bottom right to block the names of people who are in the vehicle you are in (although I think that is more of a Wasteland thing). Huge chat box bottom left to block server messages or side chat (sometimes not big enough). Bar in the middle of screen to block name when in gear menu.

Streamers aren't stupid, they're not taking up screen real estate for no reason.

Also, if you die, you have about 0.5 seconds to switch scene on your stream software otherwise it'll show the scoreboard with every persons names and server name.

No sorry, you are just completely wrong on the sizes.

You need a small bit of a logo box up top on right.

Medium size box to cover chat.

One blur ball to cover Gear player name.

For wasteland, another box in lower right.

This guy has sizes 3x too big than needed.

This is a prefect example of all the size you need for bare min. You can also lower "interface size" to have those things even smaller.

http://www.twitch.tv/ruinkind/b/359751762

I am not trying to say "no, this is a dumb feature", but at its current state way you are coming across (as a new member to the forums by the way), is rude and pushy. Streamers have been covering themself up since DayZ took off big early last year. Yes, a feature to hide this from BIS be great, and DayZ standalone is already taking this action. I am not seeing why you are constantly disagreeing with anyone who says "use what you have", like some have been saying here & what I have.

This question may be a bit off topic but I've been wondering for a while now...why do so many people think that webcams are necessary, if you're looking for something to block something isn't there a less distracting way to do it, something that doesn't take attention from the main screen?

This question may be a bit off topic but I've been wondering for a while now...why do so many people think that webcams are necessary, if you're looking for something to block something isn't there a less distracting way to do it, something that doesn't take attention from the main screen?

Perfectly reasonable question nod! Most streamers do it to have better interaction with their viewers. Allows a more "personal touch" to the stream, better ways for the viewers to connect/relate to the streamer. It's also become the new 'norm' lately. I for one, think it's a tad silly, but it makes sense to many, and that's why many have their cam on when they stream. It's to the point now, that if you don't have a cam, you usually get less viewers than someone with a cam on. Course this depends on many things, who you are, popularity, how long you been streaming/playing a game, pro or not, etc etc.

One true fact: girls love to put their cam on when they stream... boobs = viewers like crazy. Put on a low cut top shirt, and the viewer count spikes like crazy. Go fullscreen when you are waiting for a match / round to start, and well, you can guess the rest. It's the harsh truth, but many girls deny they do this to gain viewers, but they do. You will always see them with a shirt that is just legal enough on Twitches TOS, but showing enough skin to get guys to click the stream. Not all girls do this that stream, but a good percent do.

I never understood livestreaming anyways. The only things i watch in this regard are Spike n Barley or TotalBiscuit reviews :confused:

One true fact: girls love to put their cam on when they stream... boobs = viewers like crazy. Put on a low cut top shirt, and the viewer count spikes like crazy. Go fullscreen when you are waiting for a match / round to start, and well, you can guess the rest. It's the harsh truth, but many girls deny they do this to gain viewers, but they do. You will always see them with a shirt that is just legal enough on Twitches TOS, but showing enough skin to get guys to click the stream. Not all girls do this that stream, but a good percent do.

As long as women can run an entire channel entirely on their boobs* i dont think that will stop anytime soon. But i dont really care, i only watch Simon&Lewis play minecraft every once in a while.

*Every once in a while one of those videos pops up in my related video suggestions and after watching a couple i still dont think i heard a single word she said.

EDIT: Yes, i just admitted to clicking on videos because boobs.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Let's stick to the discussion relevant to the thread, which is the UI and not various tactics of drawing in viewers.

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Accidentally a word