Sign in to follow this  
Oshi7

Stream safe UI

I stream a lot of Arma 2, which can be frustrating because you have to cover up so much information to avoid being "Stream sniped". Will Arma 3 have features that allow people who wish to stream safely? I know the easy way not to be stream sniped is to not stream, but a lot of us enjoy it and wish we could do it more for our viewers.

Thanks :) Sorry if this has already been addressed, I did search for a few minutes and couldn't find anything.

I suppose it refers to the fact that you can see e.g. the password of a server you are joining, and similar things (I.P numbers, player id, etc).

i have no idea what this lad is on about, unfortunately

People who join the server you're streaming from to kill your avatar I guess.

i have no idea what this lad is on about, unfortunately

Don't really need to comment then, do we ;)

"Stream Sniping" is a pretty simple affair:

1. Find a stream with a relatively high number of viewers (or not, depending on how big of a dick you are)

2. Identify what server said stream is being played on.

3. Join said server.

4. Commence to griefing.

5. ???

6. Profit (assuming you get your jollies from such things)

OT: It would be pretty simple to have an option which, when turned on, supresses any/all messages which relate to your current server/player info.

Its not like info such as GUID, server IP, etc etc has to broadcast all the time.

Actually oshie7 is streaming dayz. Sorry mate but Arma 3 is not about dayz and it won't be unless someone ports it. It is a milsim and it does not have some of dayz problems.

DayZ, A2 or whatever, in this age of streaming, having stream safe settings (or even streaming support built in, a-la PlanetSide 2) are only a good thing for the games popularity...

Actually I'm streaming Wasteland, which is a mission type for Arma 2. And yes, whilst there are many more important things to work on, this is a relatively simple fix that could be done to help popularize Arma 3 (much like Wasteland and DayZ have done).

My friends and I all stream and make youtube videos of DayZ and Wasteland and have probably done a lot to help put Arma 2 out there and made it sell as well as it has. Sacriel, DaSquirrelsNuts and myself have 60k, 30k and 17k subscribers respectively and its all free advertising for the game.

I know Wasteland and DayZ probably get looked down on amongst people who play things like ACE etc. But having a larger demographic and selling more copies can never hurt the game, only help it. A big part of that is doing small things for streamers, such as not displaying key information such as player names in the gear menu or map, having the option to turn on or off the bottom left chat box etc. Nothing major, just simple things. Right now we have to cover up huge amounts of the screen in order just to play.

Sounds like a fair request to me.

Regardless of whether the majority of users will use it themselves, the few that find it useful are watched by thousands of potential customers for Arma.

streaming from a server, get it locked. solves your stream sniper problem, and doesn't affect the development of ArmA3.

So how is getting killed in a game about getting killed is "griefing"? You may as well get shot by a random dude randomly spotting you.

Man up.

I'd rather have my ArmA3 copy this year with development time spent on actual issues. DayZ delayed ArmA3 for too long as it is.

I totally understand where this request/suggestion is coming from. Youtubers and streamers can make or break a game (and make no mistake, CHKilroy had far more to do with the instant popularity of DayZ and the ensuing sales rush than anyone). If they can't create compelling content, they can't effectively promote the game.

Of course, wanting to be a famous gaming personality yet retain anonymity during MP gameplay...well, it's nice to want things. Not to mention that certain previously-named gamers are known to use other players' (read: teammates') streams to their advantage. I suppose this is as good an argument for simple stream security controls as any.

I would like to see some thing like this implemented but I doubt they would put such a thing in last minute.

I totally understand where this request/suggestion is coming from. Youtubers and streamers can make or break a game (and make no mistake, CHKilroy had far more to do with the instant popularity of DayZ and the ensuing sales rush than anyone). If they can't create compelling content, they can't effectively promote the game.
That's the dirty little secret that some anti-DayZ guys won't admit to, about why Arma 2 wasn't as popular before DayZ... for what it's worth, I wasn't attracted to the milsim, I was attracted to the sheer :lol: that CHKilroy brought to the table! :D

That's the dirty little secret that some anti-DayZ guys won't admit to, about why Arma 2 wasn't as popular before DayZ... for what it's worth, I wasn't attracted to the milsim, I was attracted to the sheer :lol: that CHKilroy brought to the table! :D

The first couple of weeks of DayZ were full of fresh and intriguing gameplay. Then the gates opened. To be sure, the influx of new players - or maybe I should say customers - has been a great benefit in some ways, but the majority seem to be pretty uninterested in (or oblivious to) the possibilities inherent in the core game.

So how is getting killed in a game about getting killed is "griefing"? You may as well get shot by a random dude randomly spotting you.

"I don't understand the issues at hand, so I'm going to do my usual thing and just mock the problem. Theres no way ArmA3 needs any improvement in the community area at all!"

Its griefing when people join your server explicitly to kill you and disrupt your gameplay.

Typically, people who do this also cheat - spawn weapons and equipment that they should not have, etc.

To understand how its "griefing" I would suggest that you broadcast the details of the server you play on every time you play, and invite people to come and disrupt your missions by constantly [team] killing you. I would, but I doubt you're popular enough to warrant their effort - unlike people who stream to 100's or 1000's of people at a time. Remember, people are doing this "stream sniping" for the same reason people cheat/hack -> because they like the attention it gets them.

I'd rather have my ArmA3 copy this year with development time spent on actual issues. DayZ delayed ArmA3 for too long as it is.

Lol, if you can't see that this affects more than just DayZ, then you truly are a lost cause.

And don't bother with the usual "I dont want CoD kiddies coming here and ruining the 'community'", because

a. DayZ already prooved that would not be the case.

b. Without more players [customers] the series will end, and you clearly dont want that...

What does stream safe even mean, if you are streaming in real time, everybody can see where you are anyway, UI changes won't help that.

everybody can see where you are anyway.

Not if the UI doesnt constantly advertise the server name, IP, player GUIDs, etc etc ;)

Put delays on your stream, hide your name, hide your server. This isn't a real problem that needs UI made for it.

It's a problem with streamers, but it's also avoidable if you are smart and know how to hide yourself / name, server.

They may know your location, but they don't know which server you're on or what your in-game name is.

EDIT: Ninja'd by KilrBe3!

DBLE EDIT: Double ninja'd by DM!!

Shazam!

Put delays on your stream, hide your name, hide your server. This isn't a real problem that needs UI made for it.

It's a problem with streamers, but it's also avoidable if you are smart and know how to hide yourself / name, server.

Urgh, you're not really getting the point...

If you look at any of the typical A2 / DayZ streams, you'll see that they have to hide vast portions of the screen in order to hide this info. So much as to be not really worth streaming it any more.

They're not asking for a new ui, just a toggle to hide certain parts of it.

Something I know would be reasonably trivial to implement...

Urgh, you're not really getting the point...

If you look at any of the typical A2 / DayZ streams, you'll see that they have to hide vast portions of the screen in order to hide this info. So much as to be not really worth streaming it any more.

They're not asking for a new ui, just a toggle to hide certain parts of it.

Something I know would be reasonably trivial to implement...

No i got the point fully thanks. I've watched streams. I've also seen people put 3x bigger images than needed just to make it look cool or advertise their sponsor,name,group,etc etc than need be. I've seen a simple blur bar over the Gear name, and a simple box pic/cam spot on the chat text. That's all you need. Anything else is just stupid overkill.

It's also something that is such a low priority I am guessing, it won't see the light of day. If I remember correctly, the "name" when you press Gear is already gone in the A3 Alpha footage that has been shown. Of course, that was all still a WIP.

Bottom line: This isn't a big of a deal as some of you are trying to make it out to be. As of right now, there is 100% possible way to hide yourself, and without have a 1000 images on your stream and than the viewer only sees like 10% of the game screen.

It's also something that is such a low priority I am guessing, it won't see the light of day.

Well we all said that about the trigger finger flexing when you fire the weapon back in the pre-ArmA1 days, but somehow that made it into the game too...

Small changes like this can go a long way in helping a games' proliferation. :)