The ultimate thread about Arma 3 anti-cheat discussion

Which one do you want.  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you want.

• Battleye
    • Punkbuster
    • Vac
    • Others

if you're complaining about security ,it's a bit useless to change the anti cheat,hackers are always a 2 steps ahead ...

yes i do, and tell me why don't you?

Cause it would turn out horribly. Why hire guys that would waste time developing a completely new AC engine and then pay them to search for hacks daily (they would probably suck at it), when you can just license BE?

Look at Crysis 2! Instead of using PB (like in Crysis 1), they decided to make their own AC, and the results were horrible.

That's naive and silly to think... You think BI could make an anti-cheat engine and update it daily to counter hacks? No, just no...

Your post is full of wild accusations without any facts. 5 of your friends got their keys stolen? Maybe next time they should try not to download "FREE 1337 UNDETECTED HAXX"! Is it BE's fault your friends don't know what they download?

The reason for the hacking is the game engine, not BE. If Arma 3 has better engine security, the hacking will be much lower. But still, using any other anti-cheat would be silly.

Didn't say that 5 of my friends got their keys stolen, nor did I tell you that they downloaded scripts... The ones who steal the keys are the hackers, not sure what method they use to obtain the keys, but the pattern has been the same in every 3 cases, first you play normally then the next day you cannot join games anymore (they contacted Steam support and did get this sorted out). Me and my friends hate cheat scripts and that's why we rarely play DayZ anymore and have switched to hosting our own servers. Anyway just Google of the key thefts and you will find loads of evidence like this sigh

Max Power: Please don't link to hacker forums on this board. If you have something to report, please report it to a moderator or BI Staff.

Edited by Max Power

Sad that this thread has mostly been about shooting down discussion rather than a proper discussion on the state of anti-cheat in Arma. Responses that equate to "I haven't experienced it so you are wrong" or "You don't know what you talking about" aren't helpful at all. The people who are posting here to say they have had problems with BE are not lying.

I play Arma with a group of about 12 people, all have had problems with BE. That may be a small percentage on the whole, but relatively its high. Higher than other games, this is undeniable. In relation to VAC I have never even noticed it in any games I play, which I think is a good sign. I am not arguing for or against BE or VAC, I do think that we should acknowledge that BE does have some significant issues, particularly the high reports of genuine people having difficulty playing and thus driving them away from playing Arma.

Didn't say that 5 of my friends got their keys stolen, nor did I tell you that they downloaded scripts... The ones who steal the keys are the hackers, not sure what method they use to obtain the keys, but the pattern has been the same in every 3 cases, first you play normally then the next day you cannot join games anymore (they contacted Steam support and did get this sorted out). Me and my friends hate cheat scripts and that's why we rarely play DayZ anymore and have switched to hosting our own servers. Anyway just Google of the key thefts and you will find loads of evidence like this sigh

Fuck you are so clueless, the answer is even in the link you posted.

Their process of stealing cd-keys is quite simple: They advertise a supposedly undetected hack on sites like YouTube and the moment you download and run it (it will probably report that the hack failed to load) your cd-key is already stolen. In many cases your actual cd-key in registry is overwritten with a banned one, so you will automatically receive a global ban message on join (see below). This is done to prevent you from using your cd-key again, so the fraudsters can sell them claiming that they are valid and not in use. Note that this can be fixed (temporarily) by deleting the cd-key from the registry and reinstalling your game. While your original cd-key is not banned due to this, it might very well end up being soon when your cd-key is being used by a cheater that purchased it. This causes many players to think they were innocently banned when in fact their cd-key was stolen and used for cheating. At the very least you will often receive a "CD key in use" message when trying to connect to servers.

There is no way a script kiddie can steal your CD-Key using ingame scripts or cheats, your friends are obviously just morons.

Edited by Max Power

^Ha - a few months back I remember some dude whining at BI at how his key got stolen - only to confess in the end he used a falsehack from youtube

DayZ players, never change

Sad that this thread has mostly been about shooting down discussion rather than a proper discussion on the state of anti-cheat in Arma. Responses that equate to "I haven't experienced it so you are wrong" or "You don't know what you talking about" aren't helpful at all. The people who are posting here to say they have had problems with BE are not lying.

I play Arma with a group of about 12 people, all have had problems with BE. That may be a small percentage on the whole, but relatively its high. Higher than other games, this is undeniable. In relation to VAC I have never even noticed it in any games I play, which I think is a good sign. I am not arguing for or against BE or VAC, I do think that we should acknowledge that BE does have some significant issues, particularly the high reports of genuine people having difficulty playing and thus driving them away from playing Arma.

I guess we'll see how VAC works with a very open and modabble BI game, IFF DayZ is as open as ArmA, which I doubt.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

^Ha - a few months back I remember some dude whining at BI at how his key got stolen - only to confess in the end he used a falsehack from youtube

DayZ players, never change

http://www.pwned.nl/

Don't tell me Arma3 is gonna be a steam game, i would be completely pissed and not buy it!, I don't do steam.

There is no way a script kiddie can steal your CD-Key using ingame scripts or cheats, your friends are obviously just morons.

Well I guess that this proves that they are morons, always suspected that. :P Are you guys 100% sure that only way to lose your key is by downloading false hacks?

I guess I cant trust my gaming buddies anymore, I was 100% sure that they do not cheat as they are all over 25 years old and seem mature. Are you 100% certain that there are no other methods of obtaining keys? If all those thousands of keys that are available are obtained by false hacks, that is loads of players trying to find hacks.

I think it's only possible by some other program. So in order for a hacker to extract your key you must download some kind of external program that does that specifically. Whether it was cheats, or they visit some scummy sites that serve hacked patches, or something, they had to download it and run it I believe. The most common thing is false hacks. These are things you can't check the checksum or file size, because you don't know how big the file should be. Also to hack a patch you would be using a lot of bandwidth because arma patches are huge.

I guess I cant trust my gaming buddies anymore, I was 100% sure that they do not cheat as they are all over 25 years old and seem mature. Are you 100% certain that there are no other methods of obtaining keys? If all those thousands of keys that are available are obtained by false hacks, that is loads of players trying to find hacks.

If you spend some time on searching this forum you will find quite a lot of users whining because their keys were stolen - all of them were executing some kind of "tool" that enables some "features" they found somewhere on the internet e.g. youtube, or was recommended by their friends. This hasn't to be cheating or hacking, can also be some "tweaking tool" fixing your bad performance etc. etc.

And believe me, there are enough people around on the internet executing anything recommended to them without asking what exactly it does.

To my knowledge, there is no way to read the key from the registry using some kind of ingame script. It can only be done by some external software.

but in my case i personally know a rl friend who was banned after i bought him CO to play warfare with me, he also had a look at dayz, within a hour of having it installed and playing, im guessing he looted a hacked weapon (said he found a vss)

Bull

Battleye does not ban anyone for using weapons that were put on the playing field by a hacker

that lame excuse has been used and abused to death.

Server bans can be handed out by admins who spot you with them.

Battleye has nothing to do with Server bans.

Sounds to me like the OP is a hacker who got caught and is using the usual...My friend...my brother.....my sisters dog got falsely banned...installed a hack without my knowledge..yadda yadda.

Go cry here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/forum/18-ban-appeals

But just to let you know in advance, they'll simply point you to Battleye's website. [Which BTW clearly states you don't get banned for picking up hacked weapons].

Edited by jblackrupert

To my knowledge, there is no way to read the key from the registry using some kind of ingame script. It can only be done by some external software.

The closest that can be done is by custom extensions installed on the client

And there is a lot of bad excuses/reasons out there I have heard as an admin on TLR, someone even blamed their coworker because he had the game installed at work.

I've played a lot of games that had anti-cheat systems that I felt were made with the special intent of annoying the hell out of me, Punk-buster to take the crown, but I've never had a problem with Battle-eye.

Half of the time forget about it being on my system, damn thing is like a statue of a ninja to me.

I say keep it.

Edited by Haystack15

Seeing this discussion i can't help myself and i have to say...

I frequently visit other forums where roughly 200 regular members visit to play and discuss ArmA/2 and DayZ almost on daily basis,

and so far in a very long time i witnessed only like 5 reports regarding problems with BE, all of them being just occasional kicks from

the game (mostly due to antivirus getting confused and blocking BE) and one was a server ban by mistake (cleared soon after).

So, with this experience it is hard to believe anybody who's saying "i didn't do anything, i didn't installed any strange SW, but i still got banned by BE!".

Now i am not saying BE is perfect, nor that it cannot malfunction, but... it's really hard to believe that anybody got banned for absolutely no reason.

(facepalm) ... sometime people need to differ between cheats using insecure ingame script coding (MPF, DayZ mod code) vs engine design flash vs normal cheats

BattlEye can't fix ingame scripting nor engine design flaws ...

it can only help to fill the gap to some extent via client and server side filters against scripting and hotplug some of the flaws

it works very well against usual cheats

it makes life of good admin easier ...

note: badly administrated and setup server is cheaters heaven ... sadly that's most of the servers

BE as any other software might have own issues and flaws so if You encounter bug, report it to BE author

...The ones who steal the keys are the hackers...

The ones who are getting their keys stolen are more likely to be a "hacker" than the person that's actually stealing the keys... The persons stealing & selling the keys are thieves and doing so to make money. The person getting their key stolen are usually looking for hacks to begin with. That's why their key gets compromised. As soon as they DL the hack program or w/e, and use it, their key gets handed over to the thief.

On the other hand, you have penny pinchers trying to save a couple bucks, who buy bad keys.Like a fresh, legit key costs alot anyhow? Coupled with the fact that it's not helping BI out doing it this way. Either way you look at it, if you're keys getting stolen because you're trying to hack, or if you bought a bad key, you're in the wrong. It's very simple.

Edited by Iceman77

I can't comment on whether it's a good AC engine but I've been having problems with BE for months now.

I eventually found out the reason I couldn't connect (getting kicked straight away) to any servers was EventGhost, which I use to translate my remote control keypresses into commands for MediaPortal. Bit of a pain having to close that to play ArmA and reload it after to watch TV but I'm using Gamebooster to automate that now.

However even with EG closed I'm finding I can't slot in after connecting to a server and have to disconnect and reconnect before it will work, which not only breaks the ability to use tools like PwS to automatically log me in (after disconnecting I have to manually filter the server list, find the server and enter the password) but can also cause problems/delays as the servers don't always register that I've disconnected straight away, so I have to ask someone to kick my "ghost".

I have contacted BE about this but apart from asking some basic questions about the router I use they haven't offered any help (I worked out BE didn't like Eventghost by myself) and haven't replied to my last e-mail on 4th December.

BE as any other software might have own issues and flaws so if You encounter bug, report it to BE author

I tried that, but no-one's responded. (link to my problem)

Personally, based on my experience with battleye before any bugs occurred, it was fine. But now...

I tried that, but no-one's responded. (link to my problem)

Personally, based on my experience with battleye before any bugs occurred, it was fine. But now...

The lag you expiereince is not caused by BE, it's your Anti-Virus most likely. You could try to turn it off/ uninstall it temporarely.

No, you see, I did that already and it didn't work. Besides, before they released a certain update for battleye, it worked perfectly. I just wish they'd respond to me...

No, you see, I did that already and it didn't work. Besides, before they released a certain update for battleye, it worked perfectly. I just wish they'd respond to me...

You can always send an email to BE support

You can always send an email to BE support

I did that. They haven't responded in 5 days.