Sign in to follow this  
C4r1b0u

Have a wasteland server and looking to set up donate perks, need some help.

Pretty much i have no idea what I'm doing. I want to set up donate perks to make it more enjoyable + help pay for costs. I need some help. Here is a basic idea I had: I want it to be like if Johnny donates 5 bucks, and gives me his GUID, when he enters the server he gets 500 cash. I just dont know how or what file to edit. Im thinking it's the mission file, but i could be completely wrong.

Help is much appreciated. I have skype/teamspeak if you wanna talk instead.

Well, donations or not, actually taking real money for virtual money in Arma2 is against the agreement that you & BI have. It's one thing to charge clan dues to keep the server going... it's another to give virtual money for real money. And then, coming on the official forums asking how to profit off of the game isn't going to go well.

Edited by Iceman77

There are tons of servers who do this sort of thing, I guess I never saw any harm.

Pretty sure iceman is right, but uid checking is fairly simple, Idk what wasteland's special commands are but it could look something like this.

_uids =
[
"PID",
"PID",
"PID"
];

if (getPlayerUID player in _uids) then
{
//Add money command
};

EDIT:

Doesn't really matter what a lot of other servers do. A lot of other servers take credit for things they didn't make, A lot of other servers have terrible admins, A lot of other servers are just straight up terrible, doesn't mean it's ok to be the same.

There are tons of servers who do this sort of thing, I guess I never saw any harm.

You mean tons of dayz servers?

No I mean wasteland servers, I know multiple servers that do this.

No I mean wasteland servers, I know multiple servers that do this.

if you want to try to come to some kind of agreement with BI I suggest you contact Dwarden with a detailed and well ordered proposal.

And before you even contact Dwarden you have to ask the creator of Wasteland if he allows it (and he has to ask the guys who made some of the scripts which are used in the mission).

Oh boy... Since the dayz invasion it seems the most important thing for many people is to make money of other peoples (free) work.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Its not even about all of that...you guys are missing the bigger picture. First of all, no one is paying for anything...they are donating. A donation is not the same as a payment, and you can be rewarded by the server admins for a donation.

Second of all, it costs money to run servers...and people donate to them of their own free will and that money is used to keep the servers up and running. Why people expect others to shell out money for fun is beyond me, I run an ArmA2 and ArmA3 Squad with our own servers...and it costs a lot of money to run the website, the servers, ect...and if I want to come up with a way to ease that burden on myself then I should not be looked at like a scab.

You people want servers, yet you do not want to have to pay 150 bucks a month to host one...you want to play on one that someone else hosts on their own and make them pay for it...its not like he wants to turn a profit he wants to keep what he is doing going...and pretty much every group out there that runs these kinds of servers and hosts multiple servers has some sort of donater perks...its smart. Its not making money off someone else's idea...if it was their idea they would have put donation perks in there themselves...

Xeno, you want people to play your domination. So servers have to host that domination....are you willing to pay for every server that hosts domination? So who cares if someone comes up with a way to keep their servers going to make sure people can play the kind of game they want in an environment they want (the servers) and to show their gratitude they donate...and in return they get something for donating to say 'thanks'.

Nothing wrong with that, you guys need to adapt.

First off you necro'd this thread. Secondly, this whole "donate" to win (pay to win) aspect only came along with DayZ & Wasteland. So saying "pretty much every group does this" is bull****. You mean some of the Wasteland & DayZ servers do that. Regarding the Arma franchise, people have been shelling out money to operate publicly free websites & servers for over a decade. A donation is no longer a donation when you're getting absurd privileges in the game, for said donation. That's buying virtual goods.

Thirdly, if the people can't afford the servers and need to rely on "donations" to keep their servers and websites afloat, then maybe these people need to prioritize things better. No one can tell another person how to manage their funds, but maybe if you can't afford to do it then don't. I'm not saying donations are bad, or shouldn't be used to subsidize the cost of servers & websites, but rewarding a person with an absurd advantage in the game for "donating"... isn't donating.

Fourthly, running another persons maps while doing this is beyond wrong. Maybe Xeno should accept charge "donations" too? Maybe when you "donate" to Xeno's Domination Fund, only then can you have all of the domination features. Non-"donators" will be limited to a hand pistol & a smoke grenade. Sounds great?

A donation is a donation when everyone is receiving the same benefits in the game, but a person chooses to donate to the cause. That's a legit donation.

Edited by Pac Man

And before you even contact Dwarden you have to ask the creator of Wasteland if he allows it

Whilst I disagree with the massive in-game advantages some offer in return for donations on Wastland/DayZ/Life, You don't have to ask anyone for permission to edit/use a mission file...

Whilst I disagree with the massive in-game advantages some offer in return for donations on Wastland/DayZ/Life, You don't have to ask anyone for permission to edit/use a mission file...

Well in some cases you do need to ask. People don't always use tact though. The only cases where you don't need to ask is when A.The author has stated that users don't need to ask and/or B. For personal use. IE; Single Player.

In many cases users void this & simply don't care. Leading to the "permissions aren't required" misnomer. If anything at all, it's polite to ask.

Well in some cases you do need to ask. People don't always use tact though. The only cases where you don't need to ask is when A.The author has stated that users don't need to ask and/or B. For personal use. IE; Single Player.

In many cases users void this & simply don't care. Leading to the "permissions aren't required" misnomer. If anything at all, it's polite to ask.

IMO trying to keep a mission under lock and key and trying to "copyright" it to give to who you choose is not the way to go.

I've seen myself a handful of Life missions where communities have tried to "copyright" them and put their name as the footer for every SQF. Half of the SQF's in these missions where written in 2011 for god sake, probably used in OFP Life missions before that and moved over!

I haven't seen any enforcement in the fact of "stealing" missions (stealing; ie using/editing the mission without the developers permission) in ArmA 2 at all (Well, I have infact. In the form of "sending hackers to fuck a server up", But i'd hardly call that enforcing), so there is no reason why people _should_ care about asking. I agree, I would ask and I'm sure many others would out of politeness.

There is one slight advantage to being the developer of course, you have the latest content/updates/bug fixes to release, and people will join because of that. You shouldn't have to worry about others using your mission, because you will always be the founder, and have the latest content.

Edited by TW_