Sign in to follow this  
frostshazzy

Will BI planning any thing like DEMO version for Arma3?

Like what before which they had arma2 and arma2OA demo for player to preview, which could make new players make up experience first instead of struggle on paying for the armra or not.

Last info was there will be a public alpha version, the access to which has not been discussed yet. However, it has been stated at gamescom and before that the alpha will focus on gameplay design, it will be moddable, and will contain all basic and important features of the game. I think there will be a demo for the full version out too, as has always been for BI games, so I wouldn´t worry about that.

The A2 demo on utes was absolutely terrible. If I hadn't been a long time ofp/arma fan... I wouldn't have touched the game based on the demo alone. The A3 demo should include 1 small, but bad ass coop and SP mission. & 1 TvT c&h. No editor. No other maps. No way to access the primary features of the game. One really good, small coop and maybe a good TvT map could sell the game more than a bad demo, on a tiny island, with low res textures.

Keep quality textures. Keep the full map. Let the island & textures be like a carrot dangling in front of a rabbit. They can see how great it is, but they can't have it (can't use it to it's potential)... until they buy the game.

My 2C regarding demos.

Edited by Iceman77

The A2 demo on utes was absolutely terrible. If I hadn't been a long time ofp/arma fan... I wouldn't have touched the game based on the demo alone. The A3 demo should include 1 small, but bad ass coop and SP mission. & 1 TvT c&h. No editor. No other maps. No way to access the primary features of the game. One really good, small coop and maybe a good TvT map could sell the game more than a bad demo, on a tiny island, with low res textures.

Keep quality textures. Keep the full map. Let the island & textures be like a carrot dangling in front of a rabbit. They can see how great it is, but they can't have it (can't use it to it's potential)... until they buy the game.

My 2C regarding demos.

Quoted for truth

That CTF Demo for Arma 1 was the best MP experience I've ever had on any of these titles. Servers were always full and you got to know the players so a sense of camraderie was built. Don't know why (as I generally didnt like Arma 1) -maybe it was that there were only like 2 servers so they stayed full or maybe because mods didn't split up the fan base.

The A2 demo on utes was absolutely terrible.

The whole game at that point was terrible.

I hope they have/take the time to make a proper showcase demo. Like if you press the editor button you get a cool trailer showing off how easy you can make a skrimish in the full game (something like the arma2 free trailer), this should go for all arma3 features to give new players a sense of the package`s scale.

Also of course a brief mission or two to let players test the game and see if it runs well. Idealy a good single mission that triggers players on whats special about ARMA (It needs to have great gameplay, no gimicky stuff like a fast show off of certain features). Maybe something like swiming up from underwater into a coastal town battle with a few squads on each side and an bmp or two, then let the player drive a jeep through enemy territory after the battle and back to a safe zone. Think early OFP mission quality

I think a loot of players might be open to what ARMA has to offer (more now after dayz), BIS just needs to give a good first impression

Edited by GepardenK

The whole game at that point was terrible.

True to a degree. The full game shit all over the demo (or any other FPS/sim besides ofp) though, regardless. The demo hardly represented what the game is all about.

True to a degree. The full game shit all over the demo (or any other FPS/sim besides ofp) though, regardless. The demo hardly represented what the game is all about.

Yeah. With OA we had another great leap and with 1.60 another one.

Anyway, with A3 truly looking something else plus the whole DayZ exposure, BIS has the chance of their lives now and must deliver a top quality product right from the start. <= That's why I really didn't bother with the delays and stuff.

The awful state that A2 had at release in the reviews (both professional and youtubers) probably turn away many people that only got back with DayZ phenomenom.

It should be added for all of the complaining about Arma 2: Free and it supposedly making the player base worse by being, the emphasis on online play and on custom missions (albeit with only vanilla Arma 2 assets) is closer to the state of "pre-DayZ modern Arma 2/OA" than the single-player demo of Harvest Red.

I would think that the Arma3 demo would have limited editor, as thats the first place I went for all demos for the series.

My 2C regarding demos.

well the Arma2 OA demo works very well by the way, include have and COOP and some SP preview, and not such "bad" image quaility than Arma2 demo.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

:) however the demo only have about 25% stuff that is in the real game.

ArmA without an editor is like cereal without milk. It's just not the same.

The demo, likewise, needs the editor to let you see what you can do in ArmA.

The problem with the ArmA 2 demo is that BIS never updated it. It had terrible issues that the game had at launch and was a really bad indicator of how the game actually was at that point. I'm sure it ended up scaring off more people than it did bring in.

ArmA without an editor is like cereal without milk. It's just not the same.
The analogy may work on others, but I eat my cereal dry. :p
The problem with the ArmA 2 demo is that BIS never updated it. It had terrible issues that the game had at launch and was a really bad indicator of how the game actually was at that point. I'm sure it ended up scaring off more people than it did bring in.
More like it was a good indicator of how Arma 2 was at launch... this is actually a mark in favor of Arma 2: Free.

I think that if they are to have a demo that it should be the latest version of the game as that is what they would buy if they like the demo.

The whole series should have the latest demo version for each game.

BI made it clear they're going for a much more stable and better performing release version (and tested with community alpha). If there's a good stable release version they might as well make a demo. I always play demo's before I buy a game at full price, although if the community alpha's last version is good that'll serve as a demo for me.

I replayed the OFP demo over and over before the game was released - and whilst it was somewhat restricted in scope, and not even particularly pretty, the mission allowed for different approaches, tactics and the possibility of trying out a variety of weapons (assuming the correct people died). I'd have never of known or bought into the BIS franchise without it.

I replayed the OFP demo over and over before the game was released - and whilst it was somewhat restricted in scope, and not even particularly pretty, the mission allowed for different approaches, tactics and the possibility of trying out a variety of weapons (assuming the correct people died). I'd have never of known or bought into the BIS franchise without it.

Same for me. That's the demo that hooked me into (to?) the game.

same, played that mission over and over and over.

I replayed the OFP demo over and over before the game was released

Same here, the one mission I liked alot was ambush, but i saved it after you got off the truck and were on foot, those were the days when i nenver played a game like OFP, a sandbox sim game.

the first mission i played was steal the car, and I actually found the mission/game to be extremely hard at the time as I was used to linear type games, I quit for about a month and then came back to it, there was something so satisfying and appealing to me about the demo but then I kept playing since, now OFP/Arma series is all I play these days with a mix of Skyrim once ina while.

I have since that mission Ambush have created several versions of it over the years through OFP, even using CWR mod. Demo is ideal, it gives you a taste of what they game will be like before you were to buy it if you like it, without that, you risk taking a chance on a game that could suck, like OFPDR did for me. Tried it once and uninstalled it and that was it $50 down the drain.

BI made it clear they're going for a much more stable and better performing release version (and tested with community alpha). If there's a good stable release version they might as well make a demo. I always play demo's before I buy a game at full price, although if the community alpha's last version is good that'll serve as a demo for me.
Depends on what you mean by "good", considering that the community alpha is overtly an experimental "does this stuff work?" build.