Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

Custom Flight Model made by me

Hi,

I am the author of an FSX addon module called Helicopter Total Realism, which overrides FSX flight model for helicopters and has been tested and approved by several real pilots.

Since I am very familiar with C# Java I wondered if it is possible to override the TKOH with my flight model software using Take On Java Function calls (i.e. SetVelocity, SetRotation etc...)

Thanks

Fred

yes! and it only require xml knowledge to do, really...

i'm familiar with your mod, and let me first congratulate you on it! - after finding ToH i found FSX extremely lacking in helicopter dynamics... they were 'stable' - a very unlikely thing for a rotorcraft, your mod fixed it gloriously!

as far as i see it, there are only a limited set of inaccuracies with the ToH models, although a real pilot would do a better job in confirming it... most issues got patched over to incorporate changes brought up by players and real pilots alike.... some still remain, but i do not have any basis to compare and point them out... (unless someone buys me a helicopter, I would definitely not object to that)

a word of advice - check the post dates on those threads about FD tuning... then check that you have the latest patch installed... they fixed a load of things in patches making some older mods moot... and my failure to verify this had me reinstalling the game once i absent-mindedly broke it :rolleyes:

now, C# may prove somewhat akin trying to turn a screw with the wrong wrench here, though... the principle is the same, but the ends don't fit...

that's because the ToH engine has it's own built-in scripting language, so as a programmer I found that universally applicable logic skills are more important than any one or another language in this case

it's easy to learn, though - a very purpose-oriented tool

then, as far as Java goes, there might be another possibility... albeit i don't know much about that, other than there might be some gain from doing a search on "Take On Java"

but anyways, as to your original question, yes - the ToH model is very much moddable, and a lot can be achieved simply by tuning some values being that what drives the simulation is a very much high-end specially-developed (by RTDynamics) platform called RotorLib

would be nice to have some more pilot-approved mods out there! i'd very much enjoy knowing my sim skills could apply to the real thing (wouldn't we all?)

cheers!

Edited by Moach_Mayhem

Holy crap!!!!!! FRED!!!!! Yes, please find a way to incorporate HTR into TOH! Then the merging of the FSX/Hovercontrol world to the TOH world can begin!

IMHO TKOH has a lot of potential for a very realistic flight simulation, and I know I can deliver....

If the new ARMA3 engine will allow for third party physics libraries as DCS does, I'd be ready for the task.

I have been studying the XML config files for TKOH and plan to release a realistic mod for the light helicopter (and also the medium and heavy) based on my MD500 flight model for FSX but what can be done by changing XML is very limited. Also I am not sure everything I do in HTR can be done due to the fact that RotorLib is based on lookup tables ....

Bye

Fred

there may be another possibility i hadn't considered before...

the ToH engine is in fact capable of communicating with a DLL or any other program through scripting

this is done with the 'callExtension' command: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/callExtension

maybe this could be the gateway for porting HTR...

if you need a hand with the custom scripting, i could maybe help you out - i reckon a script that could gather the needed flight information for HTR to respond in accordance would not be anything far fetched at all...

then it could apply the needed corrections to achieve the proper handling characteristics - there are functions that allow injecting forces to the model, so it may very well work if done properly...

cheers!

Hi,

I am the author of an FSX addon module called Helicopter Total Realism, which overrides FSX flight model for helicopters and has been tested and approved by several real pilots.

Since I am very familiar with C# Java I wondered if it is possible to override the TKOH with my flight model software using Take On Java Function calls (i.e. SetVelocity, SetRotation etc...)

Thanks

Fred

Seems legit bro