h34dup

[SP/CAMP/CO] Real-World Operations (RWO)

...or, u could simply always add new stuff to the post #1.

Yes, actually I sent an email to HeadUp suggesting just that same thing. I'll have to leave it up to his judgement. Perhaps he's got something planned.

I have been debating how to handle this, because our stuff may get lost if all together in a single thread, but there's also the chance of stuff getting lost if they are in separate threads.

At any rate, KK - CONGRATS on the release! I'll update the first post in the thread, why don't you start up a separate thread with [CAMP]-(mission name here)-(RWO) in the title, and I'll link that thread to the first page in this one.

EDIT: Updated the first thread, also edited a number of entries to underscore the fact that these missions are "INSPIRED" by and will no longer be "BASED ON" actual ops -- this means the primary goal of this project is to allow the overall setting of the op (locales, units, vehicles, etc.) to be explored using what is available in the Arma 2 addon community. The missions are not supposed to be re-enactments, and are not intended to be taken as fact.

Edited by h34dup

hi headup.

can you allow me to use your FARP template from Operation RoadBlock please?

thanks

Hey Wiki, yes feel free to use the FARP as a template! Thanks for asking first.

RWO projects are definitely still in the works-- after taking a short break moving into a new apartment and messing with Arma 3 Alpha (no A3 projects in the works for now, there's already a total deluge of mission releases).

Chris Kyle is back on-deck, I'm writing the dialogue and will be looking for voice actors (including Polish speakers!) this mission will likely have a TON of dialogue. Once dialogue and voice is handled, we should be ready for a dual Vanilla and ACE release (SP only for now).

Theaters of operation?

I have 3 battles in mind: LZ Xray / Ia Drang, Kapyong, and Cisterna di Latina. So that's Vietnam, Korea, and E'n Italy.

Was just talking with an old squaddie about getting into that sorta thing.

Hi Tremblay,

I'm sure HeadUp would agree with me that all are welcome to make RWO missions, so give it a shot!

Those areas sound interesting. Perhaps you could show us more of them by making some SP missions of those areas?

We have a Google Group set up for RWO that includes guidelines on what needs to be in-place, resources, etc., and it acts as a place to do private testing before release. The only requirement is that it ties in a real military operation (the more facts you can incorporate the better), and you include a source in the briefing. If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address and links to any missions you have released.

Updated the first post with new information on joining the RWO project. We will no longer be working under the name "Virtuous Circle" as it held an unintended connotation of exclusivity. We are open to any and all self-sufficient, patient editors, addon-makers, and testers. The requirement that any RWO projects be tied to the real-world remains, but again, the missions do not have to be 100% accurate re-enactments, only "inspired" by real events.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED WITH RWO

We are always looking for new members, especially intermediate-to-expert editors and addon-makers, but just about anyone is welcome to participate as a tester (provided we don't have too many testers and not enough editors). Ideal members are self-sufficient, patient, and willing to proactively solve their problems while improving their skills at the same time. We have a Google Group filled with resources, including the RWO mission-maker's checklist, and a place to share progress, elicit feedback, and complete private testing. If you're interested in joining up, send a PM to me (h34dup) with a Google Accounts-compatible email address (for access to the Google Group).

ANNOUNCING: Kommiekat has reported that Wiki will be submitting a revised version of his Operation Gothic Serpent Campaign for RWO.

You can find the currently-released version here for reference: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14261

More info to follow...

hum, not really revised.

I will just change a few things - like the dialogs - and improve or tweak some things, nothing more.

when it's done, I will update my thread and you then you can put the campaign in this thread too.

or did I misunderstood whan Kommi wanted?

hum, not really revised.

I will just change a few things - like the dialogs - and improve or tweak some things, nothing more.

when it's done, I will update my thread and you then you can put the campaign in this thread too.

or did I misunderstood whan Kommi wanted?

Nah, that sounds like what KK told me, he also suggested I post up a little announcement here.

New Campaign to release soon!

Eastern Turkestan Islamic Movement

Inspired by true events

3 mission Campaign featuring VME_PLA units.

That's right! Only ONE addon needed:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14099&highlight=VME

Xinjiang Province, China

Tajikistan

url-1_zps2c461f16.png

tajiki_zps053abd82.jpg

Beta tester needed. It's 99% ready and about 99.9% bug free (as far are I know)

Please PM me if interested.

Some more Teaser pics.

These were done by H34dup for me.

ROCK ON!, H34dup!1!

loadscreen_pla3_zps34f7b9de.jpg

loadscreen_pla2_zpsb0d57054.jpg

loadscreen_pla1_zps9e7e28e3.jpg

If anybody is going to take the shitty stick that is Chechnya, I am available for any special addons, advice, or requirements.

If anybody is going to take the shitty stick that is Chechnya, I am available for any special addons, advice, or requirements.

Actually tom3kb had mentioned just that a few days ago. I'll pass it along to him.

Oh TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! De man wan du play!

I have Colonel stagler's Chechen rebels on my HDD but i didn't start making any missions yet. :(

I did not have too much free time in last days for making new missions.

I've been looking at a few ideas once I've finished ironing out the bugs in the 100 days support options. Here are a few, I wont be able to make them all and I'm not even sure when I would get to start but peoples thoughts on what they would like to play would be good.

*Iraq, the book Sniper One is a very good true story of a platoon occupying a base on the Iranian border. Was thinking of doing something like your Lions Of Kandahar.

*Afganistan, lots of things here. The story of 3paras early days, Operation Eagle Summit or maybe British operations around sangin (a nice map to use for that).

*Sierra Leone , I did an essay on Operation Barras a year or so back, it is arguable the ideal 20th century military intervention.

*Falklands War. I would love to do a Falklands Campaign but this is a very politicly charged issue at the moment, so I would want to be careful with it.

*Sierra Leone , I did an essay on Operation Barras a year or so back, it is arguable the ideal 20th century military intervention.

I like this idea best because:

- it's something that you know well so you won't have to spend too much time researching it

- it's something I know nothing about, so that way, I'll learn about it

- we've got all the mods you need for it. I've even got a script you can use the make all the badguy faces represent that part of the world

Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a full fledged campaign. Even 1 SP mission is great. Recently, I'm quite happy to do 3 mission mini-campaigns. They keep me busy enough.

PM responded, excited to see what comes together with RMCW's involvement!

Col. Stagler-- this is one area I'd love to see further explored, I feel like I don't know nearly enough about the underlying culture in that region to do anything convincing myself, but Forgotten Few went there and came really close to me, especially with the Chechen-modded version. If someone wanted to take a stab at it as part of the RWO project, I'd start to feel like this project is catching on and achieving a goal of exposing ourselves to important but lesser-known historical conflicts.

Grats on the release Kommiekat, I'm playing it now and very good so far! Impressive stuff, the sound and feel of you city is spot on.

OK, I'm at the stage of reading though my old notes playing about with the editor and seeing if Sierra Leone would work as a fun Arma 2 protect. I'm hoping to make a short 3-4 mission campaign but I may not have the time so it could end up as a single mission. Here is a lose event timeline and possible missions. Its in spoiler because its a long post.

1. Escape and Evasion

Leader of the RUF (Revolutionary United Front) Foday Sankoh breaks the peace with the UNOMSIL (United Nations Mission In Sierra Leone) capturing and disarming 500+ armed UN peacekeepers and a number of unarmed observers from other nations including China, the US and the UK. All four captured British officers managed to effect their own escape over a number of days though guile, initiative and evasion. Follow Major Phil Ashby on his escape and evasion though the jungle to safety.

2. Operation Palliser

British forces move into the country to provide an emergency evacuation as the RUF advance on the country capital Freetown, allowing Foreign Nationals to leave and providing an escape for the UNOMSIL forces. Their presence however calms the situation and stops the RUF advance preventing the need for an evacuation. The RUF then tries to continue its advance until on the 17 May they came into direct contact with British forces. Eight men from the Pathfinder platoon, with no air or artillery support, repel the attack with no losses inflicting 30-60 casualties. The psychological impact of this defeat halts the RUF advance once more.

3. The SLA

The small British force remains in the country to guard Freetown and the Airport as British military instructors train up and act as advisers to the SLA (Sierra Leone Army). The SLA then begins its attacks with British support to roll back the RUF advances and capture the RUF leader Foday Sankod.

4. Operation Barras

With Foday Sankoh captured and the SLA advancing the RUF falls into disarray. A previously pro government militia group known as the WSB (West Side Boys) changes sides and captures eleven British soldiers, their leader Kallay intends to use them to negotiate his way to power or kill them in the hope of the “Somalia effect†forcing a British withdrawal and allowing him to march on Freetown and become president himself. After negotiations fail British SAS, SBS and Paratroopers attack the jungle village to rescue the hostages, then stay and engage in a four hour long fire-fight that breaks the power of the WSB, captures Kallay and secures the control of the elected government once and for all.

These are all true events that took place in 2000 and after looking it over I think this would make a good Arma mini Campaign, ill let you know when its fully under way and what the final mission count is as soon as I can.

Edited by RCMW

Whoa, all four of the above-described missions sound like they would be a lot of fun to play! This is precisely what I was hoping to get people interested in doing as editors, let me know how I can help (and remember to email me from your personal gmail account when you have a chance so I can connect you to our RWO Google Group-- there are resources on there to help you know what should be in a RWO release).

The only thing that doesn't seem too clear (but that has all kinds of potential) is the third mission, which I can see going a number of ways. I often like to create mission flow diagrams with my projects that outlines belligerents (down to the unit if possible), details from the real op that I can incorporate into the mission, and a flow from insertion to exfil, with all the objectives in between and what leads to what.

Feel free to PM me or send me an IM, I'd love to chat over it and help you fill in any details or unclear parts!

We should do Chechnya, I found a map based on Grozny called dead city and we have good chechen rebels addon courtesy of stagler and Russian Army during the 90s addon. Tom if you are pressed for time, perhaps we can do a collaborative project? I have rl experience with the Russian Army and you can decide what type of mission-maker I am once you are done with my campaign.