Sign in to follow this  
babyloncome

Constant OpelGL driver stopped responding

Hi all, forgive me if this is a repost, I have performed a search and found no matches.

First my rig:

Mobo - ASrock 9900 Extreme 3

CPU - AMD FX Bulldozer 4.2GHz Quad - watercooled

RAM - Corsair Vengance 1600 8Gb DDR3

GPU - Nvidia 295GTX+

OCZ 128Gb SSD (plus 2x Samsung 1Tb HHD's for storage)

Track IR 5 Pro clip

OS - Win 7Pro 64bit

Issue - Since 1.62 I am having an issue with the OpelGL display driver has stopped responding and must restart, meaning my game returns to desktop with the game still running in the background. Sometimes using the FLUSH command works but other times it doesn't. This issue sometimes even happens while in the menu system just after launching the game (literally several seconds after the menus first appear), other times it normally happens when helicopters are taking off or indeed when I am flying them. It is totally random and can happen every 10 minutes or after 3 or 4 hours of playing. Previously my settings were all on V.HIGH with the exception of post processing which is on LOW and the game was very smooth with about 40FPS.

What have I tried:

Switching SLi support off in the video driver - no effect

Starting with -world=empty and -vram=1024 in my start up line - no effect. Although I'm going to try lowering Vram value to about 846.

Switching all graphic settings to normal - no effect (although it usually flushes every time)

Updating video drivers to latest (610)

Installing beta's appeared to work but the server I play on VON would not work, so removed beta's.

Lowering Video memory (in settings) from V.HIGH to HIGH - appeared good at first but failed after about 3 hours.

Basically this is driving me mad as Arma2 is my favourite game at the moment and the reason for spending over £700 on a new rig. It's the only game I am having issues with and I just can't seam to find a solution to this problem. I have run several GFX bench tests including FurMark & VMT - all tests pass with no errors.

If anybody out these has had a similar problem but found a solution or indeed any idea's that I haven't tried yet.. Please respond....

Edited by BabylonCome

The latest Nvidia driver version for your card is 310.90. Are you sure you got the right one?

Also it's called OpenGL - but the game doesn't even use that, so no idea what's going on there.

Thanks for your reply MadDog, yes I am using the very latest driver but this issue has been happening with several drivers from 306 onwards (the driver I was using when 1.62 patch was released). The error I gave is the one displayed by the TrackIR software and not Arma2, Arma2 does not give an error it just crashes to desktop. Then after this crash when I bring the TrackIR software up it gives this error and requests to be shutdown. Sorry about that, should of mentioned this in my original post.

Thanks for your reply MadDog, yes I am using the very latest driver but this issue has been happening with several drivers from 306 onwards (the driver I was using when 1.62 patch was released). The error I gave is the one displayed by the TrackIR software and not Arma2, Arma2 does not give an error it just crashes to desktop. Then after this crash when I bring the TrackIR software up it gives this error and requests to be shutdown. Sorry about that, should of mentioned this in my original post.

That explains the OpenGL error message, but TrackIR and Arma2 crashing simultaneously still seems extremely weird. :)

What happens if you disable TrackIR and try playing Arma2 without it? I know it's not a real solution to your problem, but it's worth testing to see you can find the root cause of the issue. Perhaps TrackIR is crashing and somehow dragging Arma2 down with it. (Of course, it may be the other way around, or the cause may be something else entirely.)

One last idea: You said the beta patches seemed to fix the problem, but the VoN incompatibility with the older versions is a deal-breaker for you, right? Well, the VoN port was changed in beta build 95654, and this change seems to cause this particular VoN compatibility problem - so maybe try the last beta before that change (beta build 95417), perhaps you will get lucky and have the best of both worlds. ;)

Playing without TrackIR isn't really an option but worth a test run for a few hours to see if it is this that is causing the problem (however, I have had the TrackIR for nearly 2 years and it was fine before 1.62) - I know when my GFX settings are on High the crashing is more regular, so I will launch without T-IR and set everything up and then run around like mad for a while...

Thanks for the beta info, been looking for that info for a while to see if I could get beta running again but keep VON compatibility with other players, will also try that one in a separate test..

Tried some testing just now...

Turned off Track IR and put graphic settings back up to High and V.High - no issues for about 40mins

Turned Track IR back on - no issues for about another 30mins.

Launched with the beta mentioned above - no issues for about 70mins and then display driver failed.

At the point of fail, I took a screen grab of my temps etc as shown below:

http://www.ukrg-net.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/temps.jpg (155 kB)

To me, everything looks ok from that list..

This is the thing that gets me with this issue, it is totally random and really hard to reproduce....

I'm just so frustrated I cannot find out what is going on, I guess the next step to to completely reinstall Arma2 and try again...

Tried some testing just now...

Turned off Track IR and put graphic settings back up to High and V.High - no issues for about 40mins

Turned Track IR back on - no issues for about another 30mins.

Launched with the beta mentioned above - no issues for about 70mins and then display driver failed.

At the point of fail, I took a screen grab of my temps etc as shown below:

http://www.ukrg-net.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/temps.jpg (155 kB)

To me, everything looks ok from that list..

This is the thing that gets me with this issue, it is totally random and really hard to reproduce....

I'm just so frustrated I cannot find out what is going on, I guess the next step to to completely reinstall Arma2 and try again...

Hi, do you have the latest TrackIR software? Have you tried with older versions ?

Yep, same problem using both the old version 5 and the current version 5 of the TrackIR software..

Maybe the latest drivers from NV are not for your 295. You may need a much older driver. Since there has been NO update for the 280,275,295 cards for years. Some players have 295s on this forum, and it seems alot ran with the XP param...

Try to enable Maximum Performance here: NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings, and switch "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

Here's some other solutions http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/

Take a look into Nvidia forums too, the recent nvidia drivers are crap, maybe there you can find a solution or which version is "more stable"

https://forums.geforce.com/search/more/sitecommentsearch/295GTX%20%2B%20display%20driver%20stopped%20responding/

If possible post your arma rpt file (c:\Users\your_user\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.rpt) on http://paste2.org maybe it's a known issue and someone else could help

Sometimes the nvidia installer goes wrong, try to reinstall the drivers with this procedure:

- Download Driver Fusion and install it

http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

- Uninstall Nvidia Physx from Control Panel -> Programs and Features

- Uninstall Nvidia Graphics Driver from Control Panel -> Programs and Features

- Reboot in safe mode

- Start Driver Fusion

- Press "Nvidia display" and "Nvidia Physx" and analyze

- Delete everything

- Reboot in normal mode and reinstall the 310.90 drivers or an older version with the clean installation option checked

Edited by t0t3m

Went to play last night, turned off Post Processing (as this was turned on about 4 months ago - about the time my issue started) and we were on Chern at sun rise. Everything was fine for the first 30 mins until the sun came up, then every time I looked in the direction of the sun my screen would go all black and flashing colours (reds, blues and greens). Look away from the sun and all would come back.

I tried turning my settings down to normal, no change.

Rebooted the game - no change

Basically it now seams that my system doesn't like Arma at all... Tried a few other games afterwards and they are all working really smooth on top settings, so it's related to Arma2 only - any ideas....

Problem solved:

Turns out it was my GFX card running way too hot (about 70'C during gameplay and 85'C during slot select lobby) - bought a new card and everything is now fine with new card running at 40'C during gameplay and 50'C during slot lobby.

Very strange how it runs 10'c hotter during the lobby when there is no real graphic effects going on but that's Arma I guess.

Many thanks to all who provided suggestions and ideas, so glad I'm playing Arma once again...