Sign in to follow this  
doveman

Having to disconnect then reconnect before I can slot in

Whenever I join a server, I'm unable to slot in (nothing happens when selecting a slot) and I have to disconnect and reconnect and then it works.

This is obviously a complete pain as it breaks the ability of tools like PwS or ArmA Launcher to log me in automatically and means I have to find the server using the filter on the in-game server browser and enter the password manually. It also causes problems as it takes a while before the server recognises I've disconnected, so on some Co-op servers I have to ask someone to kick me so that I can re-join.

I did find that for some reason EventGhost was preventing me from slotting in on BattlEye protected servers (but not unprotected ones) but I've been killing Eventghost before starting ArmA since then, so it's not that anymore.

Edited by doveman

Can anyone help me with this please, as it's a real pain. It doesn't appear to be BE-related as it happens on non-BE servers as well.

I did think I'd fixed it after I moved some files back into Expansion/Addons, which I'd previously had to move to a different folder for running from RAMdisk but then I had to restore Windows from a True Image backup and it stopped working again. The Arma files are on a separate partition so weren't touched by this restore, so obviously something else is causing the problem still.

Maybe you shouldn't be using the tools? Maybe it's a problem with the tools that you are using and not ArmA? Try running each program as administrator.

You do realise that thousands of people are using PwS and not complaining about this problem and that ArmA Launcher just creates a commandline to launch with the selected mods?

I'm already running in an Admin account with UAC disabled but I tried making a shortcut to launch CO Vanilla and set that the run as Admin and with that, I was able to slot in first time to a non-BE protected server (which is all that was available to test). I then disabled the run as Admin in the shortcut and I was still able to slot in, so that doesn't seem to be necessary there. I've tested before with a Vanilla shortcut like this and it didn't work but maybe running one time with it set to Run as Admin set some flag permanently.

I then tried PwS again and still had the problem. I then noticed it has an option "Launch game as Admin" so ticked that and then I was able to slot in first time. As I say, I'm already running as Admin, so I have no idea why that should be necessary. There's no such option in ArmA II Launcher but setting it's shortcut to Run as Admin, I was then able to slot in first time, again on a non-BE vanilla server.

Very strange but hopefully I won't have any more problems anyway.

Well the problem was back last night, even though I launched from PwS again. :mad:

I've done some more testing. I've set the arma2oa.exe (beta) to run as Admin (even though I'm using an Admin account) and created a shortcut to run CO and set that shortcut to run as Admin as well.

"D:\Games\ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "-mod=D:\Games\ArmA 2;Expansion;ca;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" "-name=doveman" -nosplash -world=empty

I filtered by BE-protected servers and looked for ones with no additional mods and was able to connect and slot in to several no problem but others I had the problem with and could not change from the slot it put me in by default.

I wasn't able to identify any particular reason why this is, most of the servers showed Version: 1.62, Required: 1.62. Several of those I couldn't slot into showed Required: 1.62.95248 but they also all seemed to be Wasteland servers running ArmA2Net (which I don't have but it didn't stop me connecting and which isn't used on the servers I normally play on and have this problem on) and another 1.62.101480. A couple with 1.62.94444 and 98866 worked OK.

So it's completely hit-and-miss for me at the moment (well just miss on the servers I normally use and where I get this problem every time I try and join).

So how about some help with this problem BIS as it's really p*ssing me off not being able to launch with PwS into a server but having to disconnect and then manually filter for the server name, enter the password and then keep trying to reconnect until my disconnection has registered? It's not a launcher issue as I have the same problem if I start A2 without a launcher and then manually connect to the server.

Why should I even consider buying A3 if you can't be bothered to help me fix this problem and considering that this thread suggests I might have the same problem in A3?

I don't know whether it's a BE problem or not but I do know that the first connection gets kicked after a while with a BE Not Responding message.

I dont think the A3 issue(old now, saw it once, it hasnt happend again) is your issue. I dont understand your shortcut? You have two separate folders? A2 and OA?

Yeah, that's how you make CO by running OA with the A2 content loaded in the modline.

I installed OA into A2, so only one folder. Most players I know that made a CO settup like yours have had issues. But many fixed them or just went Steam... When you install the Beta, do you use PwS to handel your Beta, or do you do a manual install?

I've tried both, used to just download and install the betas manually, then I let PwS update them and then I deleted the rsync folder and disabled the option to let PwS update the beta.

So is anyone able to help me fix this very annoying problem?

I saw someone had problems with their AntiVirus (ESET I think) with the recent betas, so thought I'd try excluding the BE folders/dlls from being scanned in Avira but then decided it was easier just to disable the AV completely to test but that didn't help.

I'd pretty much given up on playing online as this was so annoying but I tried the other day and I no longer have this problem, so I assume some update to BE has fixed it :)