Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

Anyone here pre-ordered Development Kit 2? Also, have anyone catched any info/hints from BIS about native support for Oculus Rift? Native support would be a perfect fit for the helicopter DLC, hint, hint!

/KC

Preordered back in march so it should arrive sometime in july. But yeah it's probably gonna be a pukefest with Arma 3's fps.

However I wonder if the low persistence in DK2 will work a bit like Nvidia's or AMD's G-sync/Freesync negating the inconsistent fps.

Ordered DK2 one month ago, so July/August ship date.

I really hope BIS adds support by then. I'm planning to turn graphics down as far as I have to to get a solid 75fps, which with an r290x @1080p should be achievable. Apparently the new Oculus SDK with timewarping works quite well to help smooth out frame rates....

I'm really tempted to pre-order but left hand brain tells me to wait and see if A3 gets native support or not. Anyway, I read people being concerned to not see hands on keyboard in heavy simulators but I'm sure there will be some solution to this.

One thing I read about DK2 is that it has a USB host port so teoreticly a low res B/W USB camera for ~5-10 USD positioned to look down on your hands and then some way to press a button to overlay that image ingame could maybe work but I guess time will tell...

/KC

I signed up to this forum just to express that I'd like this to be supported. I preordered DK2

I'm really tempted to pre-order but left hand brain tells me to wait and see if A3 gets native support or not. Anyway, I read people being concerned to not see hands on keyboard in heavy simulators but I'm sure there will be some solution to this.

One thing I read about DK2 is that it has a USB host port so teoreticly a low res B/W USB camera for ~5-10 USD positioned to look down on your hands and then some way to press a button to overlay that image ingame could maybe work but I guess time will tell...

/KC

Do you really look down at your hands that often when playing games, though? Navigating the command menu can be rough, sometimes, but I can usually feel may way to where I need to be.

Also, for all you people who are preordering the dev kits, are you planning on buying the commercial release, too? As much as I'd love to try out the Rift now, I can't help but feel like it would be better to wait for the commercial version so I don't get stuck with a $300 piece of obsolete hardware laying around that I'll never use again.

depends on the stats of the consumer version. 1280 screen probably not, 2560 screen or more (4k?) yes.

current speculation says consumer is scheduled for 2015, so at least half a year of testing and then it goes to one of my brothers, poor friends or to ebay. definitely not laying around :D

Sent from mobile

Do you really look down at your hands that often when playing games, though? Navigating the command menu can be rough, sometimes, but I can usually feel may way to where I need to be.

Also, for all you people who are preordering the dev kits, are you planning on buying the commercial release, too? As much as I'd love to try out the Rift now, I can't help but feel like it would be better to wait for the commercial version so I don't get stuck with a $300 piece of obsolete hardware laying around that I'll never use again.

Dev kits won't become obsolete just because the commercial device is out, they will still be supported and usable, no software developer will avoid selling to tens of thousands of dev kit owners and support only the latest model. And eventually you have to make the decision to buy something (see how newer graphics cards are announced every 6 months), it's very possible by the time the commercial device is out another company might have announced a better specs device or Oculus might soon after announce their development plans for a wireless Rift. Are you going to wait for it too?

Edited by TonyGrunt

Also, for all you people who are preordering the dev kits, are you planning on buying the commercial release, too?

Of course.

Have already informed my good lady that I will be purchasing one the moment the consumer version is released. The REAL reason for wanting it ? Arma3 of course (or will that be Arma4 at the stage?)

I hear you and I quite seldom look for keys when playing ArmA so I'm not to worried. However it could be an issue in keyheavy sims like DCS etc.

/KC

Dev kits won't become obsolete just because the commercial device is out, they will still be supported and usable, no software developer will avoid selling to tens of thousands of dev kit owners and support only the latest model. And eventually you have to make the decision to buy something (see how newer graphics cards are announced every 6 months), it's very possible by the time the commercial device is out another company might have announced a better specs device or Oculus might soon after announce their development plans for a wireless Rift. Are you going to wait for it too?

This point is kind of undermined by the fact that Oculus themselves are saying, "Don't buy this one! It's not ready yet, the next one will be way better!"

This point is kind of undermined by the fact that Oculus themselves are saying, "Don't buy this one! It's not ready yet, the next one will be way better!"

That's right, they even have a huge mandatory check box when trying to preorder DK - "I understand this hardware is intended for developers and it is not a consumer product"

( https://www.oculusvr.com/order/)

That's right, they even have a huge mandatory check box when trying to preorder DK - "I understand this hardware is intended for developers and it is not a consumer product"

( https://www.oculusvr.com/order/)

I interpret their statement of don't buy it because it's a developer version as the fact that they don't want to offer any support for it as it is not ready for the common consumer, being hardware or software.

9.2 THE PRODUCT IS PROVIDED WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OR SUPPORT OF ANY KIND, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND NO OTHER REPRESENTATIONS OR CLAIMS OF ANY KIND SHALL BE BINDING ON OR OBLIGATE US. THE PRODUCT IS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS.†WE DO NOT AND WILL NOT provide ANY technical or customer support for the Product WHATSOEVER. IF ANY TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR ASSISTANCE IS PROVIDED WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT AND THE USE THEREOF, IT IS PROVIDED “AS ISâ€, WITHOUT WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE USE OR OPERATION OF THE PRODUCT WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. YOU BEAR ALL RISKS RELATING TO THE USE OF THE PRODUCT AND THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT AND ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH AS PART OF THE EXCHANGE POLICY. THESE TERMS STATE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES.

If you need tech support or experience any problems, by their TOS it's your problem, maybe the check box is a way to legally circumvent the need to offer support and to keep less tech savvy people from buying one and failing to make it work. The only developers remark can also be used against early negative reviews as the product is not final and consumer ready.

If they really wanted to limit rift going only to developers and select people there are better ways than a check box, other companies have managed it.

And next version of anything is almost always going to be way better!

According to spec OR DK2 has a total resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and that gives 960 x 1080 per eye. Anyone knows what resolution the GPU have to cope with? I mean does it have to calculate two separate 960 x 1080 frames or just one?

/KC

According to spec OR DK2 has a total resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and that gives 960 x 1080 per eye. Anyone knows what resolution the GPU have to cope with? I mean does it have to calculate two separate 960 x 1080 frames or just one?

/KC

It has to calculate two views. One for each eye. So it's simply not a screen resolution thing. It renders one view for each eye so requires more horespower than simple resolution increase.

Stupid question for those that have tried it. How do the gunsights work, particularly scopes?

Thanks for clarifying quickvenge!

Also curious about the gunsights but assume it will work better with DK2 than with DK1 since you can lean into them just like with a TIR.

/KC

TrackIR renders gun scopes at the center of the screen, which is okay given you are looking at a screen. But for rift you would need to center it to one eye particularly when scoped. So curious if that is being done or how it is being addressed.

Stupid question for those that have tried it. How do the gunsights work, particularly scopes?

I would render the 2d scope in the right eye and leave the left eye with the view over the weapon, just like in real life. That way you would have to close your left eye to not get distracted or you could open it to monitor your surroundings. This will also make the 3d scope question moot.

Has anyone got A3 working on the Rift yet with 3rd party stereo injectors? With just over a month until DK2 starts shipping, I'd love to know if there's any chance of playing A3 in VR!!? (I've already got my framerate to 75+ by dialling down graphics settings so am almost ready to go....)

TrackIR renders gun scopes at the center of the screen, which is okay given you are looking at a screen. But for rift you would need to center it to one eye particularly when scoped. So curious if that is being done or how it is being addressed.

If you can move your head independently from the weapon, the gun scope would go wherever it would go, depending of how you move your head.

So....ahem, anyone hear that Eagle Dynamics will be at the Oculus E3 booth wowing the crowds with their rift support for DCS World?....wonder if Bis have any plans yet to get on the VR bandwagon.....:rolleyes:........

....or are they still maintaining radio silence on their plans for any Rift support in A3? :(

Will BIS attend the E3?

They haven't mentioned it anywhere, they're not on the exhibitor list and it's five days away, so it seems unlikely.

Don't think BIS has much to showcase as of now, so going to E3 would... kinda be something people could see is available just simply by going on Youtube.