Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

I don't care how much the commercial version of the rift will be ... I'll buy it ! Too right! If only for the WOAH factor.

Pleased to see that some progress is being made with Arma3 and the rift already! Good job.

...The fact that the TrackIR will die when the OR will emerges...

Citation needed, etc.

Again, I'm all for new tech that increases immersion, but until the OR isn't a significant downgrade in display resolution and head-tracking configurability, it isn't replacing anything.

Citation needed, etc.

Again, I'm all for new tech that increases immersion, but until the OR isn't a significant downgrade in display resolution and head-tracking configurability, it isn't replacing anything.

Honestly TIR "as is" should have already died, considering that today there's valid and cheaper alternatives, it survived only because many products have forced us to use that specific product since of the exclusive drivers support. I still don't understand how's a cam and 6 iR leds costs more than 100 bucks.. this is my main concerns about this, and this is why I can't wait for it to finally die, or at least forcing the company to apply a honest price (that should be less than half of the current price).

Honestly TIR "as is" should have already died, considering that today there's valid and cheaper alternatives, it survived only because many products have forced us to use that specific product since of the exclusive drivers support. I still don't understand how's a cam and 6 iR leds costs more than 100 bucks.. this is my main concerns about this, and this is why I can't wait for it to finally die, or at least forcing the company to apply a honest price (that should be less than half of the current price).

Can't really argue against any of that. For the moment, however, TIR is the best option. More options will be a great thing.

It's more than an IR cam with LEDs, there is some amount of processing that comes from it too, freeing up the CPU from tracking work. That's why it performs better than the alternatives. As for the price... I found the price to be bearable. I only have to buy it once, and it works very well so I have no complaints about that side if it. I would say I've had value from it :)

---------- Post added at 07:25 ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 ----------

TrackIR gives some advantage (more in other games, like flight sims than in ArmA tho...), but it's a overpriced pirce of crap, that didn't changed by 6 years (or more). We need to support the new technology and not something that doesn't evolves by years.

If a product works, and works for years, I don't understand what improvements you might be talking about, or why Naturalpoint should strive to constantly bring out new products when the existing one is good.

I mean, do you feel the same way about your joystick? Do you wonder why they haven't improved it? I suppose with the OR they'll be constantly upgrading the resolution & design of the product.... I guess that'll make you happy ;) :)

It's more than an IR cam with LEDs, there is some amount of processing that comes from it too, freeing up the CPU from tracking work.

We are talking about basic trigonometry, there's nothing complex to calculate, it might occupy a negligible number of cycles of any modern CPU. Plus they weren't capable of improving anything, and it does NOT works better of alternatives. Todays we have tracking devices that (intelligently) are capable of reading the position of your face, eyes or your whole body, passively, while with the trackIR you're still forced to wear something (reflector, active leds). It is absurd that in those years they are still selling basically the same devices but improving the refresh (look at the TiR5 vs the TiR4 and tell me the differences in-game), counting on the fact that none invaded the same market already (probably because it wasn't appetizer for the big brands), but the play is finally going to over.

That's why it performs better than the alternatives. As for the price... I found the price to be bearable. I only have to buy it once, and it works very well so I have no complaints about that side if it. I would say I've had value from it :)

Nor they are selling a cam and 6 leds for crazy prices, they are also selling the track-clip pro for more than $30 ... it's 3 (THREE!) damn IR leds ... now you're going to tell me that it contains also a chip to calculate the rotation of the earth orbit? The fun part is that the track-clip pro exists because of the lacks in the main device of tracking the passive reflectors under certain (often common) situation, like having a light source around. It should be really included with the product already.. but they are selling it at gold price.

Whenever I have paied this company big money, purchasing these devices during the last years, I cannot defend their policy. I applauded their first invention, but after several years it's time to abandon this no-innovation-money-machine .. it's 2013, we need something better.

We are talking about basic trigonometry, there's nothing complex to calculate, it might occupy a negligible number of cycles of any modern CPU. Plus they weren't capable of improving anything, and it does NOT works better of alternatives. Todays we have tracking devices that (intelligently) are capable of reading the position of your face, eyes or your whole body, passively, while with the trackIR you're still forced to wear something (reflector, active leds).

What other tracking devices? Either you're talking about Kinect type devices or CPU-expensive software solutions tied to a web-cam? Either way, TrackIR is only another solution similar to those. Either take it or leave it :)

It is absurd that in those years they are still selling basically the same devices but improving the refresh (look at the TiR5 vs the TiR4 and tell me the differences in-game), counting on the fact that none invaded the same market already (probably because it wasn't appetizer for the big brands), but the play is finally going to over.

*shrug* difference between TrackIR 4 & 5 is wider FoV, and faster refresh. Not worth the price if you already have a TrackIR 4.... but I cannot fathom your attitude over this. Device works, what's the beef? You don't like the hat? :)

Nor they are selling a cam and 6 leds for crazy prices, they are also selling the track-clip pro for more than $30 ... it's 3 (THREE!) damn IR leds ... now you're going to tell me that it contains also a chip to calculate the rotation of the earth orbit?

Why would you invent such a scenario?

The fun part is that the track-clip pro exists because of the lacks in the main device of tracking the passive reflectors under certain (often common) situation, like having a light source around. It should be really included with the product already.. but they are selling it at gold price.

*sigh* then don't buy it, or make your own. Myself I don't wish for one so I wouldn't care for it to be included in the base product, but that's just me.

Whenever I have paied this company big money, purchasing these devices during the last years, I cannot defend their policy. I applauded their first invention, but after several years it's time to abandon this no-innovation-money-machine .. it's 2013, we need something better.

*shrug* look, if you've got a downer over Naturalpoint then that's your own business :)

I'm not trying to defend Naturalpoint and champion it over Oculus Rift, obviously they're both going to have their advantages & disadvantages. If OR turns into something amazing I'll be buying one no doubt about it. But I don't see that as reason to start thinking of TrackIR as suddenly a terrible product. Fact is, it's as useful to me now as it ever was, several years after I bought it, no issues, no downsides.

What other tracking devices? Either you're talking about Kinect type devices or CPU-expensive software solutions tied to a web-cam? Either way, TrackIR is only another solution similar to those. Either take it or leave it :)

Yes, the Kinect is technologically superior for half of that price. The Kinect brought us some fresh air and innovation, and what about the Leap Motion? TIR did almost nothing by years.

They didn't even invested time to find a solution to the reflective markers, they had the brilliant idea of giving you 3 leds (track-clip pro) forgetting that there's ppl with wireless headphones.

I want to give my money to help the innovation, and I hope that these new devices will force them to move their arse, to lower their price, or to be out of the market.

FFS let it go already!!!!

You dont like NaturalPoint or TrackIR... WE GET IT

This thread is about OculusRift so lets get back on that topic shall we...?

Edited by EDcase

That video gave me one hell of a gaming boner. Just so cool. Can't wait to have one of those.

So as far as I understand it currently only has 3 axes (rotation) head tracking?

Are they working on a version with the full 6?

So as far as I understand it currently only has 3 axes (rotation) head tracking?

That would be somewhat difficult without an external tracking device. Rotational movement can be measured absolutely (compared to Earth's gravitational pull) without much difficulty, but directional positioning needs a variable frame of reference.

I don't think it's possible for any object to accurately measure its position in space without some kind of external tracker.

Yup, most probably it will be like the Hydra. The PCB has already the sonsor connection. It won't make sense to release the retail version without it (considering that adding those axis will have a very limited costs, of around $20-30 for a mass production product).

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

That would be somewhat difficult without an external tracking device. Rotational movement can be measured absolutely (compared to Earth's gravitational pull) without much difficulty, but directional positioning needs a variable frame of reference.

I don't think it's possible for any object to accurately measure its position in space without some kind of external tracker.

The Oculus Rift has already a control box (where you connect the goggles), there you will have your transmitter (exactly like the razer hydra).

accelerators are capable of this but i agree that external tracking is far more precise and quicker... the three rotational axis are the important ones for realism though... the ONLY one that i would actually end up using is a forward back axi in order to "look closer" at things such as in a cockpit or when trying to focus on something, its intuitive from that sense, i don't think the other 2 would be used near as much

1080p HD Oculus Rift prototype will be in E3.

E3 is officially underway, and we’re here meeting with developers and media.

Last year, the Oculus Rift was officially nominated for Best Hardware of E3. This year, we wanted to do something special to celebrate the first anniversary of its public debut.

We generally develop features for the consumer Rift using top-secret prototypes that are kept under lock and key at Oculus HQ. But for the first time, we’ll be sharing one of these prototypes with the public: a 1080p HD Oculus Rift.

If the Oculus Rift doesn't have the six degrees of tracking, why not combine it with the trackir for a better experience?

Some nice Oculus titbits from Jay at E3.

The do have a dev version and are trying to get some more, they aren't planning on full support at release.

It seems like they are definitely toying with using it in a serious fashion and hopefully will support it in the future.

Lets face it, A3 was made for it with free head movement already.

a 1080p HD Oculus Rift.

It's still not really Full HD though. It would be 960x1080 stereoscopic (with the screen split in the middle for two eyes). A Full HD 3D monitor would basically have twice the horizontal detail, which can be quite important in a game like Arma.

Again, the thing about Oculus Rift support is that you will also need a complete redesign of the UI for a really enjoyable experience, and I don't think it will happen any time soon.

I've never used any form of VR before, I would really love to test it out... but alas, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to do so at any brick and mortar store these days. I would imagine however, that Arma would be a perfect game to marry with the Oculus Rift.