Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

I couldn't get it to work (got my dev kit on Sunday). Does Arma not run in DX9?

Also I've got a TrackIR to use for translational movement so I can put that to use as well.

Is it possible to use trackIR in addition to get lean and zoom? As a temporary solution until OR has it...

yes it is possible because the game is so veristile...but due to the unrestricted angles that Oculus can move in, you will be out of trackir view....alot...;).

yes it is possible because the game is so veristile...but due to the unrestricted angles that Oculus can move in, you will be out of trackir view....alot...;).

You can attach (literally) a razer hydra back to your head and having the missing 2 axis. That is a far better solution (and cheaper) than using a TIR...if you ignore a horn sticking on your head.

You can attach (literally) a razer hydra back to your head and having the missing 2 axis. That is a far better solution (and cheaper) than using a TIR...if you ignore a horn sticking on your head.

Or not even bother as the current 3DOF are all you really need in ARMA, zoom is better on a key than trying to nut your monitor anyway.

Lean on roll and the other two as per normal looking around.

The other axis will be handy once you can use it in A3 though, especially for piloting choppers.

zoom is better on a key than trying to nut your monitor anyway.

You owe me a coffee .... spat mine over the screen with that mental image !

Or not even bother as the current 3DOF are all you really need in ARMA, zoom is better on a key than trying to nut your monitor anyway.

Lean on roll and the other two as per normal looking around.

The other axis will be handy once you can use it in A3 though, especially for piloting choppers.

I actually miss the ability to zoom by leaning in, it was intuitive and didn't require an extra key press for it. As soon as I can re-enable this, or learn how to set it up, I'll be doing it :)

I actually miss the ability to zoom by leaning in, it was intuitive and didn't require an extra key press for it. As soon as I can re-enable this, or learn how to set it up, I'll be doing it :)

Moving more than my head and hands is way too much energetic gaming for my liking, you young whippersnappers and your wii games systems.

lol its just natural head movements gramps! just like taking a walk outside and looking at the trees to your side as you continue to walk straight

Or not even bother as the current 3DOF are all you really need in ARMA

It's a matter of immersion... plus we are here for A3 really (as the forum name suggest). ;)

Honestly you all need to stop buying that crap Track IR the only reason the company is still around is because people refuse to move on to better technology or at least stop giving money to that company.

i mean look at this:

yes it works however its gimicky you can't really do anything with a track ir unless you have a 40" monitor on your desk.

even then its head tracking not eye tracking so your eyes still stay at the center of the screen.

Honestly you all need to stop buying that crap Track IR the only reason the company is still around is because people refuse to move on to better technology or at least stop giving money to that company.

i mean look at this:

yes it works however its gimicky you can't really do anything with a track ir unless you have a 40" monitor on your desk.

even then its head tracking not eye tracking so your eyes still stay at the center of the screen.

Not sure what you mean, you're not very clear.

Honestly you all need to stop buying that crap... bla bla bla

I think someone is jealous :D

Honestly you need to stop talking crap.

We can buy what we want and you can't comment if you haven't even tried it... LAME

There isn't anything better right now anyway

Edited by EDcase

arma 2 runs on DX9, arma3 is DX10/DX11 I believe, but it is NOT DX9

Ok, working partially in Arma 2. No 3D, headtracking is slightly odd (LOTS of drift in A2, more than in museum of the microstar even). Looking VERY good though, I'd love to see some official support.

Also, my dream would be to get my Hydra working with this, then we could get what feels like a real gun in the game, but that would be hard to do animation wise.

i mean look at this:

I use the TIR with a 30" monitor (but I've used it on other 24" as well), and I couldn't play certain games today without it (ie: DCS), it gives a VERY BIG advantage. While on the other side I agree on the fact that is super expensive and the value of the product (technology) doesn't even come near to the retail price .. but that's business.

For who has to spend that price on a TiR I would suggest to use the facetracknoir (free) and save money for something better.... especially if it will be used with Arma.

come on bis... Half life 2 has been converted and released for Oculus.... :)...

It would be a good publicity stunt to be one of the very few games to actually officially support Oculus Rift, but not much more. You would be at a huge disadvantage at 640x800 resolution compared to proper monitors, and the consumer model is at least a year or two off.

Track IR is first steps to future , Oculus Rift is shitty gimmick for rich people or dumb people. i myself am not rich but i can afford to buy Oculus Rift but i wont because its garbage virtual boy. why i waste my money on expensive monitor so i wont be able to enjoy it . Track IR now is very small and comfortable it mounts on headset and doesnt require your crazy dance moves like Kinect . also Track IR will be better and smaller in future will be integrated in headsets and monitors . and Oculus Rift is bad for your eyes , eyes has muscle if you noticed the closer you sit to monitor for long period of time your eye sight get worse same as reading books. with oculus rift your eyes will be demolished. and about TrackIR i found out only thanks to Arma for me TrackIR > Oculus Rift in every way. also if you get drunk you wont be able to use Oculus Rift

.... also if you get drunk you wont be able to use Oculus Rift

They say that about driving too.

Track IR is first steps to future , Oculus Rift is shitty gimmick for rich people or dumb people. i myself am not rich but i can afford to buy Oculus Rift but i wont because its garbage virtual boy. why i waste my money on expensive monitor so i wont be able to enjoy it . Track IR now is very small and comfortable it mounts on headset and doesnt require your crazy dance moves like Kinect . also Track IR will be better and smaller in future will be integrated in headsets and monitors . and Oculus Rift is bad for your eyes , eyes has muscle if you noticed the closer you sit to monitor for long period of time your eye sight get worse same as reading books. with oculus rift your eyes will be demolished. and about TrackIR i found out only thanks to Arma for me TrackIR > Oculus Rift in every way. also if you get drunk you wont be able to use Oculus Rift

We should encourage developers to begin using new technology like this. I bet you people Complained cars were useless gimmicks when they were invented and you could just use a horse. You don't have to use it, you can use track ir while others use the oculus rift. I would love to see good virtual reality in my lifetime. If the oculus rift does well, other companies will try the same which will lead to competition which intern gives the consumer better products.

"No body stops you from riding you horse, they just want to drive there cars as well."

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

In the future I see trackir tech and oculus rift tech being used together for full virtual reality.

"No body stops you from riding you horse, they just want to drive there cars as well."

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

actually they do. Try going on a highway with a horse.

do you work for natural point?

have you even tried rift?

i have, and it is amazing..

i own a trackir and it is crap